> Nutraloaf, How very cyberpunk...
hobgoblin
post Aug 28 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/26/nutra...-cruel-and.html

a real life example of what would be standard diet for the lower levels of SR society?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Aug 28 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Shit like that always comes from america, isn´t it?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 28 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #3

panda!

could be it also happens elsewhere, but that we only hear about it from USA. This as the other nations are highly insular nations, with a native language not used as a trade language by most of the world.

ugh, i wonder if i should just erase that before it drags the thread into a RL political debate.

anyways, can people see this being sold in some form in SR z-zones?

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 28 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

needs more cat

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Aug 28 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Ok, before it tends to go off topic: yes i think it would be a realistic food-replacement for the poor, but if i remember correctly (and the fluff went down since SR4) there already exists something like that in SR. Tasteless soy- or krill based food that needs taste-additions to become eatable is common if you life low or squatter.^^

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 28 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

True.

Nutraloaf would be relatively expensive actually. If it were made of the same stuff.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 28 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #7

panda!

indeed, tho i always envisioned that as something similar to a bowl of cereal in much the same form as pet food.

but i guess it could also come in this form. Perhaps packed in a plastic wrapper, with a highly questionable date stamp (if at all).

and if one want to give the players a real feel for the z-zone life, how about making some and serve it during the game session? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

i suspect it would go down nice alongside a cheap soy beer (as tap water would be unfit for cockroach spirits, even after cooking).

perhaps have the trog eat a whole loaf during a stakeout.

oh, and this page holds recipies for both ordinary and vegan variants: http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/appe...TML/4000895.htm

odd, the vegan is basically the ordinary variant, without the ground meat.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 28 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

and if one want to give the players a real feel for the z-zone life, how about making some and serve it during the game session? wink.gif

I like it. That is one way to get players to stop taking street life style. You eat like your character eats!

Hmm this could really backfire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/facelick.gif) Especially for ghoul characters.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 28 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #9

panda!

hehe, player starting to eye up the rest of the group (gm included) as meals.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 28 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Aug 28 2010, 01:38 PM) *
Ok, before it tends to go off topic: yes i think it would be a realistic food-replacement for the poor, but if i remember correctly (and the fluff went down since SR4) there already exists something like that in SR. Tasteless soy- or krill based food that needs taste-additions to become eatable is common if you life low or squatter.^^

That already exists and is one of the most common foods in the world nowadays. Have you ever tried plain tofu?

+Quote Post
Navar
post Aug 28 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 16,735

Trying really hard not to imagine the Dwarf on Shisqabob sticks...and the troll hanging from butcher hooks.

On the note of this topic, depending on how cheap this stuff is..I'd eat it.
At least once, just to say I did. Same reason I tried fried crickets.
I'm always looking for "healthy" low cost food stuffs.
Healthy for the body doesn't always mean healthy for the mind.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 28 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Tofu is not so bad. Even plain. I think it is about as bland as a potato. But eating to much tofu can be bad because of the plant estrogen.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 28 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #13

panda!

i do wonder, could most of the vegetables involved be grown hydroponically? Or perhaps one of those vertical greenhouses that have been suggested in recent years?

+Quote Post
Blastula
post Aug 28 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 17,527

Excerpted from Wikipedia. Note the bold face text:

"In one common version, it is made from a mixture of wheat bread, non-dairy cheese, various vegetables, and mixed with vegetable oil, tomato paste, powdered milk and dehydrated potato flakes. Prisoners do not need utensils to eat it, and it is generally served on a piece of paper, rather than a tray."

WTF is non-dairy cheese!? The future is now people. They don't even need cows for this crap, it seems.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 28 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

QUOTE (Blastula @ Aug 28 2010, 01:33 PM) *
WTF is non-dairy cheese!?

One set of ingredients: organic soymilk (filtered water, organic non-gmo soybeans), corn maltodextrin, non-hydrogenated vegetable oil blend, salt, carrageenan, vegan natural flavors, corn-derived lactic acid.

Personally I like Veggie Cheese (check your organic aisle) simply because it tastes a little better than most mega-mart cheeses and melts very easily without burning quickly. It's very easy to cook with. I'm out right now, so I can't check the ingredients on that easily.

http://www.reallyrawfood.com/2008/07/13/ra...mia-nut-cheese/ <- make your own cheese from macadamia nuts.

+Quote Post
Deadmannumberone
post Aug 28 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,974

QUOTE (Blastula @ Aug 28 2010, 11:33 AM) *
WTF is non-dairy cheese!? The future is now people. They don't even need cows for this crap, it seems.

Non-dairy cheese is made using congealed oil instead of milk curd. Many generic brand processed cheese slices are non-dairy cheese.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Aug 28 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

terrible food in prisons is nothing new. I do think this is a tad cruel, though.

Prisons in the UK 100-200 years ago had a regulation on how much chalk and limestone could be used as an ingredient in their bread.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Aug 28 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

And now that prisons are nicer places than in the 19th century fewer people are in them. Cut out the cruel punishments and people stop committing crime.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 29 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Cut out the cruel punishments and people stop committing crime.

I don't think this is that true but there is truth to it.
It is estimated that approximately one percent of the general population are psychopaths.[11] According to an unsourced article in popular science magazine Scientific American, studies indicate that about 25% of prison inmates meet diagnostic criteria for psychopathy.[8] However, recent British studies have reported a community prevalence of 0.6%, consistent with the estimate given by the screening version of the psychopathy checklist[74] and a prisoner prevalence of 7.7% in men and 1.9% in women.

Psychopathy is basically the same thing as Sociopathy. With psycopathy you have a tendency towards impulsiveness, risk taking behavior and so on that leads to psychopathy. Basically you are born with it. Sociopathy is social influences turning you into someone with no conscience. Basically if horrible stuff happens to you as a kid you may grow up to be a sociopath and see nothing wrong with your condition. Morality is for other people. But sociopaths are very rare. In times of war you could guess that in times of war or in shadowrun, that there are a lot more sociopaths.
It is estimated that approximately one percent of the general population are psychopaths.

But I have read higher estimates that put the number at 1 40th of the population. Most psychopaths aren't criminals, they are just with out guilt, and have poorer foresight. The combination makes them not good people to know.

You have to ask yourself if you know one, and if you would know it if you did.

Sorry for the total tangent post.

+Quote Post
Deschain
post Aug 29 2010, 09:35 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 5,328

QUOTE (Daylen @ Aug 28 2010, 06:02 PM) *
And now that prisons are nicer places than in the 19th century fewer people are in them. Cut out the cruel punishments and people stop committing crime.

I want to argue against this, I really do but I've sworn off arguing on forums.

+Quote Post
rofltehcat
post Aug 29 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 18,893

From the ingredients list it doesn't sound so bad. I could actually see this taste not-so-aweful when baked in a pan and with some spices and some rice to go with it.
I guess it works as a punishment because today people are used to food with too much salt, sugar and (different) spices.

About Non-dairy cheese (or cheese analogues)... order a pizza or eat some microwave food that contains 'cheese', chances are you will get this. As part of a cooked meal, for example on a lasagna, it is kinda ok. On top of some bread or so it is just horrible. If you want to know whether your microwave food contains this kind of cheese, look at the back of the box. At least in germany it is often labeled as 'Käsezubereitung', which basically means 'processed cheese'.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 29 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #22

panda!

do note that its served as is, no spices or anything.

+Quote Post
rofltehcat
post Aug 29 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 18,893

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 29 2010, 02:26 PM) *
do note that its served as is, no spices or anything.

Sure, but in SR nothing would stop people from adding some soyspice #20 or whatever to it.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 29 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #24

panda!

i think that's the basic idea of the low lifestyle vs squatter, your autocook now have some basic flavors to add to the bland nutrient goop.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 29 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

With a medium, you get cans of Brawno, the Thirst Mutilator to wash it all down with.

It's got what orcs crave.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.