Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heal Spell Drain Value
LukeZ
post Sep 2 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,981

Sorry for the noob question, but how is the Drain Value for the Heal Spell calulated?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 2 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

IIRC, resist the damage you're healing -2, so...If you're healing 4P then it's resisting 2, then sustain it.

+Quote Post
LukeZ
post Sep 2 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 2 2010, 03:18 PM) *
IIRC, resist the damage you're healing -2, so...If you're healing 4P then it's resisting 2, then sustain it.

So if the target has take 10 Stun Damage and 12 Physical Damage the Drain would be 20 (22-2)?

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 2 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Runner

Just physical, and it's based off the hits of the Spellcasting test.

You've got Magic 6, Sorcery 5 say, so that's 11 dice. We'll go without fetishes 'n foci for a second. You get...oh, say five hits.

Means you can heal 5 Physical from your mook, and you resist 3 Drain, and lose - I think - 5 Combat Turns to sustain by touch until the spell takes.

You'll want to use First Aid to bleed off the Stun before you use Heal to bleed off the Physical. Heal can only ever be used once for that set of injuries.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 2 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Magic can not heal stun damage. Only physical counts. Only physical gets healed.

EDIT: Dang...

+Quote Post
LukeZ
post Sep 2 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #6

Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 2 2010, 04:44 PM) *

You've got Magic 6, Sorcery 5 say, so that's 11 dice. We'll go without fetishes 'n foci for a second. You get...oh, say five hits.

Means you can heal 5 Physical from your mook, and you resist 3 Drain, and lose - I think - 5 Combat Turns to sustain by touch until the spell takes.

You'll want to use First Aid to bleed off the Stun before you use Heal to bleed off the Physical. Heal can only ever be used once for that set of injuries.

Ah ok!
(I think it should be 6 combat Turns to sustain because it's double the Drain Value)

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 2 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (LukeZ @ Sep 2 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Ah ok!
(I think it should be 6 combat Turns to sustain because it's double the Drain Value)

Thank you!

There you are - I never used Heal inside combat, so I'm shaky on sustaining rolls. Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Sep 2 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Always use skill/medkit first for healing, then use magic. It'll reduce drain and it's the only way to get a second check on healing a wound.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Sep 2 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

If your wanting to play a full on healer you play a magic character with first aid & medicine.

First you first aid

Then you heal magic

then if you have the time needed you use medicine

You get to heal one set of injuries 3 times.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 2 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #10

Running Target

But that isn't really neccessary. All characters in SR4 are regenerators. I have not seen applied medicine in my group even though we have someone have a decent skill in it. People just sleep things off on the couch and are back to normal a day after. *g*

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 2 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

We always read the drain value for heal was the total physical damage on the character, not just the damage healed.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 2 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 2 2010, 08:30 PM) *
We always read the drain value for heal was the total physical damage on the character, not just the damage healed.

Could be. Book says it's Damage Value -2, so I always went with what successes were healed.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Sep 2 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 2 2010, 05:44 PM) *

Nope, the drain is based of the damage the patient had before the healing attempt. The healer has to sustain the spell for 2*drain value combat turns. Instead of reducing physical damage hits can be used to reduce the sustaining time by 1 combat turn per hit.

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 2 2010, 05:44 PM) *
You'll generally want to use first aid before magic, because it cannot be used after the patient has been healed magically.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Sep 2 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

Just chiming in to say that to initiate the spell, you must touch the target. After you get the spell going, you can sustain it without needing to have your hands on them. All Health spells work that way. (Otherwise the more offensively-aligned Decrease (Attribute) spells, and the ability to cast Improved Reflexes on a buddy is sorta stupid and pointless.)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 3 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 2 2010, 01:30 PM) *

We do it this way as well... Could be read either way though...

+Quote Post
tagz
post Sep 3 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

I personally prefer having it deal the amount healed -2 rather then amount of damage taken -2. Mostly as it means you can select a lower Force Heal to control how much potential drain you could take by capping the max number of hits. It seems silly to me that casting the spell at Force 6 would create the same drain as casting it at Force 1, making it mechanically pointless to cast it at anything other then at your magic score or twice your magic score if you decided to take it in physical damage from overcasting.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Sep 3 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 2 2010, 10:47 PM) *
We do it this way as well... Could be read either way though...

I used to do it that way, but it totally disincentivizes a magician healing a buddy that's on death's door. "You're dying? Fuck that, I don't wanna join you!"

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Sep 3 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Sep 2 2010, 08:45 AM) *
Magic can not heal stun damage. Only physical counts. Only physical gets healed.

EDIT: Dang...

Actually in 4th ed, there is nothing forbidding magic from healing stun.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 3 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Sep 3 2010, 06:25 AM) *
Actually in 4th ed, there is nothing forbidding magic from healing stun.

AHA... finaly i can prove something wrong. (ah sorry about that *g*)

SR20A Core, Page 207 Description of Health spells:

"No techniques currently known to magic can erase Stun damage or cure psychological conditions"

A bit further up it is stated what magic can do... only physical damage is mentioned. Stun cannot be cured.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Sep 3 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Sep 2 2010, 10:01 PM) *
AHA... finaly i can prove something wrong. (ah sorry about that *g*)

SR20A Core, Page 207 Description of Health spells:

"No techniques currently known to magic can erase Stun damage or cure psychological conditions"

A bit further up it is stated what magic can do... only physical damage is mentioned. Stun cannot be cured.

It says its not presently being done, not it is unable to be done. I know a bit a splitting hairs, but speaking with the dev's a while about the actual differences (physiological) between stun and physical injuries, it was noted that there is no symptom of a stun injury which is not present in more profound detail and extent in a physical injury.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Sep 3 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Sep 3 2010, 10:38 AM) *
It says its not presently being done, not it is unable to be done. I know a bit a splitting hairs, but speaking with the dev's a while about the actual differences (physiological) between stun and physical injuries, it was noted that there is no symptom of a stun injury which is not present in more profound detail and extent in a physical injury.
I could have sworn, that Street Magic says it's impossible, but I can't find it now.

+Quote Post
IKerensky
post Sep 3 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,622

We played it at Damage healed -2 wich is unsatisfying because it usually result in no-very low drain. I think Damage to be Healed -2 sound far better, will used it now.

+Quote Post
Ranarion
post Sep 3 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 18,936

You can Heal Stun Damage by Magic, it takes a while, and you must be an Adept, but then, there is a power for that.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Sep 3 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #24

Running Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 3 2010, 01:45 AM) *
I could have sworn, that Street Magic says it's impossible, but I can't find it now.

I know it was impossible in atleast 3rd, and took the issue up with a dev about 4th, they pointed the rules didn't 'forbid' it, but simply say no one was doing it yet.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Sep 3 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Cool. I'll add that to my list of spells to make, right next to the Undetectable spell (Improved Invisibility for all senses). Too bad drain can't be healed as of SR4A.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.