Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monoc Security Services., Spoiler warning for Butcher's "Changes"
Snow_Fox
post Sep 4 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

In Jim Butcher's most recent Harry Dresden book "Changes" we finally get more of a view of Monoc Security Services, the people who provide muscle behind Jonny Marcone. In the past they have just been a name, but it is revealed in this book they are rather more and I wonder if anyone has tried this/encountered this in their SR game.

Run by Donar Vadderung they provide top flight combat troops and heavy security, physical and magical for a pretty penny. The key thing is that Donar Vadderung in the past has been names like Wotan, Woden and Odin. Dimishied osmewhat in power but still more than capable of handling mortals. So in a world where old magic works and Dragons rule has anyone encountered such a situation? It certainly would not be out of place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 4 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

The Dresden Files are just a great thing to pull ideas out of period. Secret magic cabals, vampiric families, fae, and a huge ass shadowwar.

I was aiming for something like this, using Winternight, but it was more than my meager skills could perform... It didn't help that my group didn't even bother reading the Intro Story to the adventure (*Points at Sig File*), which discouraged me.

So far, all I've been able to do is have my group like Harry Dresden. They get hit in the head. A lot.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 4 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

Any guess as to who the shooter was at the end of the last book? My bet is on the Summer Knight.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Sep 4 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

My money is on Kincaid. I just don't see Fix doing that. Then again if it was Kincaid it probably would have been a headshot. This is why Jim Butcher is a bastard.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 4 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Random drive-by shooting not related to Harry's work at all.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 5 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (crash2029 @ Sep 5 2010, 02:47 AM) *
My money is on Kincaid. I just don't see Fix doing that. Then again if it was Kincaid it probably would have been a headshot. This is why Jim Butcher is a bastard.

My bet is Kincaid on Ivy's orders. The Winter Knight's would revert to Winter at his death, but the cold water would drop his metabolism enough so that he can be revived after his "death". Afterall, Mr Butcher pulled this dead and back stunt once already.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 5 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

That is, if Harry can deal with the light at the end of the tunnel being a train.

Hey, if you get your head hit in the afterlife, can you get a spiritual concussion?

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Sep 7 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

I think it was to easy, dropping the Winter Knight into an ice cold lake. He'll come out of it (more or less) ok(ish).

I'm putting my monies on a random mook sniper, put in place by the Black Council (since Harry would eventually need to go to the boat, considering everything that happened in that book).

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 7 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi @ Sep 5 2010, 06:41 AM) *
My bet is Kincaid on Ivy's orders. The Winter Knight's would revert to Winter at his death, but the cold water would drop his metabolism enough so that he can be revived after his "death". Afterall, Mr Butcher pulled this dead and back stunt once already.

I dunno, Fix has pulled a gun on Harry before. That was when he only suspected Harry of taking up the mantle. Now the Summer knight is pretty tough, but if you look at the starting material, Fix was pretty wimpy. Compare to Harry, who is pretty bad-ass to start with, then add on the Winter Knight power, and fix is toast. Fix's only chance is to take him out through an ambush.

I completely agree that there will be some Dues Ex to bring him back.

Back on track, I like the idea of Monoc as a SR organization. Would the Aesir be free spirits, or some weird variation on Shedim?

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Sep 7 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

Bringing Dresden into shadowrun has nothing but win written all over it.

You could in fact run the group as a collection of free spirits / fae. Turn the raised soldiers into raised free spirits in prepared vessels (R's 1-3 would work).

I do like the idea of them having the weapons from all era's in there stockpile so you could call up some actual vikings with the odd guardian spirit in the mix.

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Sep 7 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

slightly off topic, but I cant wait for the next book I know I'll proberbly be mildly annoyed by how they dont let him have died but its not going to stop me enjoying it.

JB is a roleplayer much like us and it shows in his work as the rule of cool is in constant use.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 7 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

A Role Playing group made up of Werewolves, a Wizard (Who plays a Barbarian!), and GMed by a Coroner that knows far too much about what's really going on in the world.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 7 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Clearly I need to go update my Butcher collection. Changes hit paperback yet, or am I going to have to shell out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 7 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 7 2010, 09:47 AM) *
Clearly I need to go update my Butcher collection. Changes hit paperback yet, or am I going to have to shell out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Shell out, JB is worth it.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 7 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 7 2010, 02:47 PM) *

Shell

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 7 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #16

Runner

BAH. I already shelled for Turn Coat.

Amazon.com, save me!

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 7 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 7 2010, 02:56 PM) *
BAH. I already shelled for Turn Coat.

Amazon.com, save me!

Real Dresden Fans don't complain about the HardCover price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 7 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #18

Runner

There's a copy of the hardcover Dresden Files RPG on premises. I think I get a pass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 7 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 7 2010, 02:59 PM) *
There's a copy of the hardcover Dresden Files RPG on premises. I think I get a pass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

That thing was Crazy expensive..

Although I hear it's well worth it.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 7 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #20

Runner

I haven't stolen it out of the owner's abode yet, but it's noticably closer than it was before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I'll try to snag it tonight to give it a read. Hoping that check comes through so I can stop off on the way home and get the novel.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 7 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #21

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Real DF fans shouldn't be able to afford hardcover.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Sep 7 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

I had preordered Changes and recieved it the day it came out. I finished it that day. I have been in purgatory since then.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 7 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (crash2029 @ Sep 4 2010, 01:47 PM) *

Oooooo, had another thought, Elaine (Harry's Ex) was an agent of Summer wasn't she? She would have the smarts to know that capping Harry in a way that allows him to be revived could cause the Winter Knight Mantle to pass on and leave him clear of his debt to Mab.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 7 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 7 2010, 07:45 PM) *
Oooooo, had another thought, Elaine (Harry's Ex) was an agent of Summer wasn't she? She would have the smarts to know that capping Harry in a way that allows him to be revived could cause the Winter Knight Mantle to pass on and leave him clear of his debt to Mab.

But would she? She's sweet on Harry, and I can't see her putting a cap in him from long range so as to avoid the Death Curse.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Sep 8 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Also with everything else that happened in that book, if it was Elaine, I don't think Butcher would have hesitated having Elaine's face appear as Harry sunk into the water.

Oh, and toturi is correct (+1 pt).

(I am going to buy the short story collection when it comes out though. I think it was scheduled for November?)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.