Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for group in NYC or Westchester County
Jonny Reload
post Sep 5 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,757

Looking for a 4th edition game to join or perhaps even help GM. If interested, e-mail me at Jonny_Reload AT hotmail DOT com

Or you can just leave a message here on the forums (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Sep 7 2010, 03:13 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,140

I just moved to Brooklyn actually and have been looking for a new group so count me in.

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 7 2010, 04:05 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Do you GM at all or just play?

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Sep 7 2010, 04:19 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

I haven't GM'd in a long time but I just need to watch as a player for a bit and I would get back in the SR state of mind.

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 7 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Well the problem is location. I mean we've got a place to play up in White Plains, so for me living in the Bronx, I can easily get up to there and back, and while I was communicating with Camberiu, he'd have a location in Queens, but I'm not sure if his game can accept me, my girlfriend, and one more of my role playing friends (I'm definitely not gonna tell my girlfriend I'm gonna be in a game she can't play in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) So depending on how that turns out, I gotta hear back from him. Otherwise if he can't fit us and I need to start up a game of my own, you'd have to come up to my friends place up in White Plains to play since we don't have any other locations available at the moment to role play. (It's spacious as hell, but not a lot of NYC role players like the commute.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Sep 7 2010, 05:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Well Queens is a lot closer to Brooklyn I believe...at least I'm pretty sure it is, I'm not an expert on neighborhoods yet, so maybe applying to their group would be best for me? Where exactly is White Plains?

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 7 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Ah, I thought you may have moved from close by. By car, White Plains is about 90 minutes from Brooklyn (2 hours if there's traffic... Which there always was.) If you gotta rely on Subway and then switching over to Metro North from Manhattan... Eeesh, could be anywhere from 2+ hours. Queens is kind of dead center of everything besides Manhattan so it's a good neutral ground for NYC role players, and obviously right next door to Brooklyn as well so that'd be your best bet.

I got 2 people I need to bring with me in a mandatory Shadowrun game so I might not be able to fit in Camberiu's group, but he'd probably be your best bet. I mean if he could attempt to juggle 8 players, I'd offer up co-GM'ing or switching on and off for him since I'd feel guilty to leave him with that burden. I mean I've been GM'ing since Microsoft owned the damn rights to the game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) But as of right now, I just wanted to play as a character... But if I had another GM to work along side so I can have the best of both worlds, I might step back into my GM'ing habbits sooner rather then later (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Sep 7 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Ahhh ok, thanks for the help. Its good to know there are players around though and if you ever get a chance to play closer by don't forget to tell me, I think we would get along just fine lol. Now just to see if maybe I can get a spot at Cam's table. Maybe I could Co GM for him after getting back into the swing of it. It would at least give me some brownie points to play later heh.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 7 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

I have an ongoing game in Tarrytown which is right near you! All of my players and myself are SUNY Purchase graduates. There are also only three of them, so we have room.

Tell me more about yourself Jonny!

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Sep 7 2010, 06:05 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Think I could try and pop in that :3 ? Wait, is Tarrytown near Brooklyn at all?

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 7 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

WyldKnight: It's New York, this is one of the most heavily populated states in America in terms of role players.... Especially NYC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) Well... Unfortunately NYC is getting a bit expensive so a lot of the role players I use to know moved away. It's funny, about a year or more ago, I use to co-GM Shadowrun in Brooklyn at my friends place with a HUGE group, only 2 of them are left in Brooklyn and they both gotta work weekends now so no gaming for them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) Personally I like to Co-GMing as I LOOOOOVE games that run for a long time and build up a history around the PC's (provided they live long enough) and co-GM'ing prevent's GM burn out as they get to tag out and play with a PC while the other GM jumps in. But yeah, who knows. We'll see what happens with all of this.

Tarrytown is near White Plains (Basically where I told you me and my friends play.) If you were considering it, you'd have to take the same method of getting up here, Metronorth or drive.

Neurosis: LOL! You have a game right next to where I work, that's some funny shit! (In Ardsley) I just recently starting having weekends permanently off so now I'm able to reach out to my old role playing friends and start looking for games to set up. If we didn't play in Brooklyn, we'd always play at my friend's house off Exit 5 on the 287. Right now it's just him, me and my girlfriend. Obviously we haven't started a game yet since we've last played but it's just us 3 but we've been looking to get something going on Saturday nights or at any point on Sunday's or Monday's (Best time that works for all of us.)

Anything else you need to know or wanna ask? Tell me about your group as well, schedules, play styles, etc.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Sep 7 2010, 06:14 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Really? I just got here so I have no idea where to find them. For me it was a heck of a lot easier to find em in California. Any tips on where to get a group?

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 7 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Wyldknight: It is getting a little harder now to find them, especially with NYC's biggest role playing store being forced to close down a few years ago (Neutral Ground.) There's still one more big... Well, by big I mean popular, since the place is tiny, RPG store left in Manhattan (www.thecompleatstrategist.com) I know I heard about another RPG store in Brooklyn but I can't remember the name of it. At least "The Strat" in Manhattan has a bulletin board in the front of the store to leave advertisements for people who wanna join games.

But for Shadowrun specifically, your best bet would probably be looking through here.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 8 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

NYC may have an awesome concentration of roleplayers, but "upstate" NY (including Westchester and Putnam, where I grew up) has like...NONE. None of my players had ever heard of Shadowrun before I force-fed its awesomeness down their faces.

Our play-style is about as far from the "hard crunch/munchkin" end of the spectrum as we can get. Through no real designs of my own my players are all REALLY into pure roleplay, and they are all probably overly wary of powergaming. Also I am a writer so the narrative can get fairly artsy...telling/participating in a story is kind of the first priority for everyone. Honestly, they are pretty BAD at PCing Shadowrun and I am tired of dumbing everything down for them. I would love some experienced runners who would give me, as a GM, a challenge. Well, either they're bad PCs or I'm an INCREDIBLY tough GM. Probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

We do not meet as often as we'd like but when we do meet, at least lately, it's about once a month for about 72 hours straight of Marathon Gaming. I'm not married to that schedule, it's just what's most convenient for the group ATM. Most of us are unemployed ( : ( ) and we have a good chunk of free time. My girlfriend has an internship and we've got one player back in school so that means that weekends are looking best for us again, although one weekend a month we are engaged in other endeavors, at least from March through November.

Actually, that is changing as the one of my players who is still in college is going back to college for her senior year. That means we'll be back to playing once every week or two for one-day sessions (which can still get pretty long, eight hours or so, I just can't get enough SR).

I sent you other details in a PM although there's no rhyme or reason to what I PMed or said here. Just operating on full-blown stream of consciousness.

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 8 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Neurosis: I'll answer all your stuff from the PM on here as well so I can give as much information as possible to all that are interested...

After reading your post, the first thing I gotta throw out there is that even though I love Shadowrun as one of my favorite RPG's of all time, 72 hour doses is just a weeeeeee bit extreme for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) I mean I could do bi-weekly or even WEEKLY games. Maybe even a 2 day game event every once in a while for special games but a 3 day event sounds more like a LARP then a table top at that point (Not that I'd mind a Shadowrun LARP but that's a completely different topic all together.) If you'd be up for a weekly or bi-weekly game, my players could accommodate that.

As for my group and there habits and quirks. The youngest is in there mid 20's some of us are just hitting our early 30's but we can all make time on Saturday nights or Sundays and Mondays. We come from very very deep role playing roots and my friend who is currently available has been playing Shadowrun alongside me for a long time now. So while we emphasize "ROLE" playing over "ROLL" playing, we'd be pretty ashamed if we made characters that could handle ourselves on a mission as well as pull our own weight. Some missions we tend to not even use a single bullet since we take the "Oceans 11" or "Leverage" approach to certain jobs that involve pure RP and puzzle solving logic that goes outside the box of conventional thinking.

We've run games from action-packed octane hit & runs to (My personal favorite) survival horror psychological missions. Mood music (not crappy songs with mood breaking lyrics but orchestral or background scores from movies) are usually a priority in our games to help with atmosphere but we could forgo that if it means that we'd still be playing with a group that focuses on role playing an immersion within the story and there characters. I know you said your game is winding down but would you consider perhaps maybe wanting to co-GM a game with me? That way you get back some of your inertia to GM again or is the setting itself wearing on you?

Basically when it comes down to it, would you still be willing to GM and if so, will it be for a while or are you getting burned out already?

Do you wanna co-GM or are you fine on your own?

When would you be available to play?

What do you have in your group so far, etc.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 8 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Sep 7 2010, 09:18 PM) *
Neurosis: I'll answer all your stuff from the PM on here as well so I can give as much information as possible to all that are interested...

After reading your post, the first thing I gotta throw out there is that even though I love Shadowrun as one of my favorite RPG's of all time, 72 hour doses is just a weeeeeee bit extreme for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) I mean I could do bi-weekly or even WEEKLY games. Maybe even a 2 day game event every once in a while for special games but a 3 day event sounds more like a LARP then a table top at that point (Not that I'd mind a Shadowrun LARP but that's a completely different topic all together.) If you'd be up for a weekly or bi-weekly game, my players could accommodate that.

As for my group and there habits and quirks. The youngest is in there mid 20's some of us are just hitting our early 30's but we can all make time on Saturday nights or Sundays and Mondays. We come from very very deep role playing roots and my friend who is currently available has been playing Shadowrun alongside me for a long time now. So while we emphasize "ROLE" playing over "ROLL" playing, we'd be pretty ashamed if we made characters that could handle ourselves on a mission as well as pull our own weight. Some missions we tend to not even use a single bullet since we take the "Oceans 11" or "Leverage" approach to certain jobs that involve pure RP and puzzle solving logic that goes outside the box of conventional thinking.

We've run games from action-packed octane hit & runs to (My personal favorite) survival horror psychological missions. Mood music (not crappy songs with mood breaking lyrics but orchestral or background scores from movies) are usually a priority in our games to help with atmosphere but we could forgo that if it means that we'd still be playing with a group that focuses on role playing an immersion within the story and there characters. I know you said your game is winding down but would you consider perhaps maybe wanting to co-GM a game with me? That way you get back some of your inertia to GM again or is the setting itself wearing on you?

Basically when it comes down to it, would you still be willing to GM and if so, will it be for a while or are you getting burned out already?

Do you wanna co-GM or are you fine on your own?

When would you be available to play?

What do you have in your group so far, etc.

Gogo stream of consciousness:

I was misunderstood. It's more play shadowrun for eight hours, then sleep/eat/screw around/do whatever for a while and then come back to the gaming table. It's more that we're just kind of chilling in the same place for like three days or so. (I actually run a LARP in Westchester and have for going on five years. It is like Shadowrun in some ways.... Ironically, THAT we only play for two eight hour sessions in the same weekend, once a month. ) I have a shadowrun soundtrack but is probably not like your shadowrun soundtrack and I am afraid you would not like it.

I am have never 'Co-GM'd' anything and I don't know how it would work. I'm afraid that I might not work well with others in that respect, but I can't say I'm not intrigued by the concept.

Some missions we tend to not even use a single bullet since we take the "Oceans 11" or "Leverage" approach to certain jobs that involve pure RP and puzzle solving logic that goes outside the box of conventional thinking.

Some runs I design are built around this but my players aren't very good at it.

When I'm available is...unfortunately, a sticky subject. Ask me in a week or two and I'll have some better idea of my plans. But basically here is the situation:

1. First I have to finish the campaign I have running. That probably won't happen before October 1st, realistically.
2A. Then, either I would have to decide to start another SR Campaign instead of the WoD thing I wanted to do OR...
2B. You guys could join one/both of the campaigns that my girlfriend is running. I am just PCing in those, not GMing in them. OR...
2C. YOU could GM something and I could bring my crew to PC that.

I can tell you a little about us by PM if you still want to know.

Either way, I would imagine we would be available for maybe one weekend per month, maybe more after November. But when that would start is up in the air. Life is pretty complicated right now.

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Sep 8 2010, 03:35 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

PM sent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Jan 16 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Figured I'd bump this topic since I'm now free and looking once more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
vipox
post Jan 18 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,920

I too am looking for a 4th ed game in NYC. On Manhattan ideally.

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Jan 18 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (vipox @ Jan 18 2011, 03:37 PM) *
I too am looking for a 4th ed game in NYC. On Manhattan ideally.

Unfortunately I'm not really looking to run at the moment and I only have 2 non-public locations I can host a game at which are in the Bronx and White Plains

+Quote Post
vipox
post Jan 20 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,920

I don't mind GMing, I am new to NY so how far out on the Subway are your locations?

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Jan 20 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Well, the one in the Bronx is about a 15 block hike from the subway to where I live (It's all the way at the last stop on the 5 line), but the other place you can't really even get to without a car in White Plains

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Feb 17 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 19,111

Damn Tarrytown and White Plains are far me, and I have a car to drive with too.

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Feb 17 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Major Doom @ Feb 17 2011, 06:13 PM) *
Damn Tarrytown and White Plains are far me, and I have a car to drive with too.

If you have a car and it's still too far, where the hell do you live?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

+Quote Post
Jonny Reload
post Oct 21 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Figured I'd give this a necessary bump as I'm now looking for a Shadowrun game again due to my schedule now changing and such.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.