IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flare Comp Sunglasses, Any canon references?
Seidaku
post Mar 5 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,489

Are there any flare compensation sunglasses in any canon material out there right now? If not, is it too powerful/unbalancing? If not, what kind of price would you set for such an item?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 5 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Sunglasses, mate.

+Quote Post
Seidaku
post Mar 5 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 4,489

Do they innately provide the same bonuses as the flare compensation cybereye/adept ability? I did not realize that.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 5 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Stuffer Shack sunglasses: 5 :nuyen:
Sunglass Hut: 100-200 :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Slamm-O
post Mar 5 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,535

i wouldnt let sunglasses provide flare comp., but i dont think itd be broken to add some, maybe 150%-200% the cost of flare comp. eye mod. with avail 4 or 5.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 5 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Umm, usually when you put a cybermod into non cyber gear, it's half the cost, not more expensive.

+Quote Post
Slamm-O
post Mar 5 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,535

my bad nikoli, i just didnt want to gimp my eye mods i guess :) after all, why not just get the damn galsses? but you are right, no? so i aquiesse (bad sp) and say 50%

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Mar 5 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

How much to make them peril-sensitive?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 5 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #9

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Peril Sensitive is about 2 nuyen for a black sharpie, the world is a far more dangerous place than when Douglas Adams walked among us.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 5 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

In all seriousness, you can get thermographic sunglasses by buying thermographic goggles, then using the Increased Concealability rule on p 291 to raise it further. You could probably adapt them into something that provides flare comp as well-- since thermo means you're not directly looking at the flare, it may work against normal flashes.

You could use the same rules to get a pair of ultrasound sunglasses, which would ignore any flash or glare penalties. IMO, in order to get either set up to the point where they look like normal sunglasses, I'd require a conceal of at least 10 or 12.

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Mar 5 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

Thermo vision equipment wouldn't automagically have flare compensation: It's just an infra-red sensitive CCD array, after all -- and when you turn any CCD array (try with your camcorder or digital camera) towards a bright energy source, it will suffer from flare effects. It might not cause your eyes /pain/ if you were wearing thermo goggles and someone put a burning flare in front of your face . . . but, your goggles would be so bright that you'd be hard pressed to see much else, which IMO is primarily what the flare effects rules represent. (combined with the "My god, my eyes!" effect when Lone Star shines a wall of halogens in your face ...)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 5 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Would they work as well as the cyber/adept power, since unless they're practically goggles then there's still going to be a gap round them that light could get through? Perhaps something like a -1 to TN's instead of the cyper/powers normal -2?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 5 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Would they work as well as the cyber/adept power, since unless they're practically goggles then there's still going to be a gap round them that light could get through? Perhaps something like a -1 to TN's instead of the cyper/powers normal -2?

Goggles wouldn't have the gaps, but yes -- sunglasses are not as encompassing as having the power built into the eye or the helmet covering the face or the goggles.

It seems reasonable enough.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Mar 6 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

If you got them in the right style you could probably have the same effectiveness. Take Oakley's Eye Jacket style for example.

QUOTE (Nikoli @ Mar 5 2004, 08:29 PM)
Umm, usually when you put a cybermod into non cyber gear, it's half the cost, not more expensive.

I wanna use this in an upcoming game. Do you happen to know the page ref, to satisfy my gm?
</noob>

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 6 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

There isn't a canon ruling on that, insofar as I know.

Nik has a good rule of thumb -- and it makes a certain amount of sense, but if you have a literal GM, you may be SOL.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Maxwell Silverha...
post Mar 6 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 5,765

Flare comp gear exist's today, go to a welding supply shop, or look the gear up on the internet. Base your rules off of that.

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Mar 6 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Siege)
if you have a literal GM, you may be SOL.

-Siege

:(

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Mar 6 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

There was a rule for adding mods to helmet visors which you can probably adapt to what you want, but I think that was in SR2. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 6 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Well, putting things like thermographic vision and vision mag into helmet visors costs about 1/4 of the various cybered versions. That's a pretty good place to start.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 6 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Alternately, the non-cyber version of the Transducer is priced at half what the cyber version costs. I don't see a problem extrapolating from that example.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.