IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Personal Armor, Anybody know what it does?
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 6 2004, 04:33 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834

I was leafing through Rigger 3 and noticed Personal Armor in the modifications section. It's armor which weighs less, costs less, and "has much the same effect on Vehicle-scale weaponry as personal body armor."

Can anybody explain what this means? It sounds as if this is a cheap way to put 50 points of armor on a drone since it weights 1/10th what normal armor does, and I don't know what the effects of vehicle scale weaponry are, it doesn't say.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 6 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I _think_ it's draping an armored jacket over a vehicle rather than using actual vehicle armor capable of repelling anti-vehicle weapons.

Essentially, you're using (meta)human scale armor on a vehicle instead of the proper vehicle armor.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 6 2004, 04:52 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

As Siege said, it is unhardened basic armor. It does not count double against small arms, it does not lower the damage scale of small arms fire by one (but that's apparently a general vehicle trait and not a vehicular armor trait). It's only really helpful to protect passengers a little better with less costs.

You may be able to put 20 points on a drone, but since it isn't hardened, you still have to deal with the 2D using the pathetic body rating of the drone (+applicable pools).

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 6 2004, 05:49 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

I'm curious as to how you came to that conclusion, since Rigger 3 specifically states that it fends off small arms fire but says it reacts to AV fire as body armor. Nothing there says it fails to stage down normal weapons (even vehicles with no armor at all get to do that!) or is not hardened. It seems contradictory to me to say it cannot repel small arms, when the book states that it fends off small arms.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 6 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #5

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

You still get the stage down a level and halve the power effect from it being a vehicle. It's just that since it's not counted as hardened armour, it acts as normal personal armour rather than automatically stopping damage is the armour rating equals or exceeds the power of the weapon.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 6 2004, 07:51 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I hadn't realized that it'd count at all for attacks against the vehicle; I was just assuming it was an armored passenger cabin.

~J

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Think of Personal Armor as Lucite glass and Kevlar in the doors. It's the same type of armor that vehicle as used by government heads and public figures.
This will protect against people firing a weapon in the small-arms category. If the weapon does AV damage, then Kevlar isn't going to do much for you.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Mar 23 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

Personal Armor "has the same effect on vehicle-scale weaponry as personal body armor." It's treated as non-hardened balistic armor; if you put in 3 points of personal armor, it's as though your passengers are all wearing armored clothing.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 23 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i don't see anything in the text that keeps it from protecting the vehicle, as well. i also believe it acts as both ballistic and impact armor (which may not seem important, until that troll physad takes a swing at your engine block).

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Mar 23 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I agree that there's nothing in the text that says it can't protect the vehicle, but I think that either one is a valid interpretation to take. However, the last sentence in the description says
It is ballistic armor, not impact.

Which also means it won't help you out in a crash. (I think)

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Mar 23 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Personally since it is called Personal armor, not car wrapped in kevlar, I wouldn't allow it help against vehicle hits, only against called shots aimed at the peoiple in the car. That is just me though.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Just to play Devil's advocate - the armor is a part of the car, and perhaps "Personal Armor" refers to defense from "personal weapons", as most people don't pack AGTMs. (note I say most) I think it protects the car from small arms (Non-AV) damage, but I agree it won't help in a crash.

Bad Guy A fires his Ares Predator at your lovely car (9M)
You have 3 points of Personal Armor which reduces the power of non-AV
damage by 3, so the attack comes in at 6M, which due to the fact it is being
directed at a vehicle makes it 3L.

Of course, you could say that the staging down applies before the armor does,
in which case it would be 1L

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Mar 23 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Then why not call it economical armor or slightly weaker then real armor armor? I seem to remember I think R2, personal armor was described a passenger armor, not really intended to prtect the car.

Like Luke said, either intereptation is valid, it is just the name that makes me think it was intended to protect the passenger cabin not the car.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 23 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Then why not call it economical armor or slightly weaker then real armor armor?

I think you answered your own question quite nicely here. :) "Personal Armor" is a good, clear name for armor of the kind that personnel usually wear.

Still, you can certainly rule either way. Do modern armored cars (such as those meant for transporting VIPs) have the engine compartments protected by armor panels, or is all the armor around/in the cabin?

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Mar 23 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Depends what you pay for. I have seen some that are just lined with kevlar in the cabin. Some with plates in the doors. I have seen the radiator moved to a compartment that can still get air then armoring just the grill. Armoring a car for a VIP can come in all shapes and sizes depending on the budget. But I think all but the most important people just get the kevlar wrap done to the cabin and some lexan windows. The president on the other hand is loaded for war.

Austere, are you agreeing with me? Hard to tell. :)

+Quote Post
Kalibar
post Mar 23 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 5,988

I'd say that the personal armor protects the whole car not just the passengers, otherwise it'd be superfluous to have:

Armored seating: personal armor protection for individuals in a car without protecting the whole car. Which is bought on a per person protected basis.

I always considered personal armor to be non-vehicular armor...no scaling down, no hardening. But light, easily concealable, cheaper and easy on the CF.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 03:48 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Most armored cars do incorporate armor around the engine compartment, but those vehicles that are meant to resist serious fire have what would be in SR "real armor". The thing is, personal armor is usually inside a vehicle. So it would make some sense that it would not protect the car, as a round would have to go through
the side of a car to be stopped by the armor. Hmm...

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Mar 23 2004, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Running Target

But armored seating, If I remember correctly only protects from shots coming from behind. What about shots comeing through the windshield? Sure the guy in the back seat is fine, but now he is wear his buddies liver.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Most cars that have personal armor usually replace the window glass with lucite or bulletproof glass. You could use a barrier rating equal to that of the personal armor.

EDIT- when I say "inside a vehicle" i mean in the door panels

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 23 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

If the armor is in the panels, it would still protect the important bits of the car -- engine, controls, transmission, whatever. If the armor is only around the cabin, then of course it's not much good for protection the vehicle itself, but trying to stop a car by wrecking the "shell" of it is pretty difficult.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Good point. I guess it's just up to the GM. I usually treat it as its nearest counterpart in real life (Kevlar in the door panels, quarter panels, armored glass),
but there's nothing wrong with saying it protects passengers only, not the car.

+Quote Post
mcb
post Mar 23 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,083

What good does it do the passengers if only the passenger compartment is armored and not the engine and drive train. I don’t know of any armor limousine or SUV manufactures that only armor the passenger compartment. They all protect the engine, put run flat tires, self sealing gas tanks etc. If you don't protect the engine and drive train then what’s the point in armoring anything else? The attacker will just shoot the unprotected engine and then the attacker can take their time getting to the occupants. In adding light armor to vehicles like a Limo or SUV they are simply attempting to buy the occupant a little time to get away. To do that the armor has to keep you from getting shoot and keep the vehicle functional so you can run.

mcb

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

No amount of vehicle armor protects the tyres unless you buy the runflat versions, IIRC.

~J

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 23 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (mcb @ Mar 23 2004, 06:27 PM)
What good does it do the passengers if only the passenger compartment is armored and not the engine and drive train.  I don’t know of any armor limousine or SUV manufactures that only armor the passenger compartment.  They all protect the engine, put run flat tires, self sealing gas tanks etc.  If you don't protect the engine and drive train then what’s the point in armoring anything else?  The attacker will just shoot the unprotected engine and then the attacker can take their time getting to the occupants.  In adding light armor to vehicles like a Limo or SUV they are simply attempting to buy the occupant a little time to get away.  To do that the armor has to keep you from getting shoot and keep the vehicle functional so you can run.

Yeah, what mcb said. :)

I've been interpreting "personal armor" as a non-hardened armor protecting the whole vehicle. Just some body armor-grade ballistic fabrics and similar materials slipped into vehicle body panels (including the engine compartment and the like).

+Quote Post
Rev
post Mar 23 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

I think it is supposed to be similar to the armored seating thing, but maybe a bit better especially if you have a lot of seats.

What good is it? The goal is to protect the passengers from attack. The vehicle may be easily crippled, but today in vehicle assissinations/carjacking typically go something like this:

Vehicle is halted by roadblock, bomb, stoplight, in parking lot, etc.
Attackers run up to it and shoots or threatenns people inside through the windows, perhaps with only a pistol.
Passengers die, or do whatever the guy with the gun says. Attacker immediately leaves the area to evade police/security response, is captured, or suicides.

Personal armor seems to me to be meant to represent the sort of vehicle armor that protects against that sort of thing without the expense of armoring the vehicle such that it can be attacked by moderately heavy weaponry and continue to drive. The idea is that the passengers stay safely inside the vehicle if attacked by small arms and wait for help. Some protection is also provided against larger weaponry, but probably not enough. The vehicle is likely to be immobilized but unless the attackers have a lot of time or heavier weapons the passengers are relatively safe inside. Basically if somebody wants to whack you they now have to hire shadowrunners or top of the line gangers instead of just local thrill gangers.

As such it would be pretty much worthless in a drone. You might say it could protect a cargo space in a drone, but should provide no protection to the drone itself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.