IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dragons Greater than Great?, Next step?
Stormdrake
post Sep 15 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,623

Have been playing with the thought that Great Dragons may not be the end of a dragon’s life cycle. As dragons have been shown to operate independently of their bodies and that they undergo transformations from adult to great, at least in part on the astral plane. Could not a further transformation take them from an existence anchored on earth to one of primarily existing in the metaplanes? Such a dragon could still return to Earth when the mana level was sufficient and conceal its exalted state through Masking.

This would also elevate the issues of Earth being able to support such massive predators that live for eons and are continuing to propagate. As beings of the metaplanes these ancient dragons would subsist off of mana rather than meat and would allow adult and great dragons to use the limited prey resources available. This would also fit into the existing game world as these ancients could easily conceal their true nature so that existing cannon great dragons could in fact be upgraded to ancient status without a recon of cannon history.

Not something a runner would ever fight but could make a very interesting plot point and explains why the Great Dragons did not eat themsleves out of house and home back in the 1st world. Kinda like I envison Great Dragons were originally developed as. Uber being that influence the world and the meta-plot but never actually fought as they are just too powerful.

Just a thought
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 15 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I remember mention of another stage in a dragons life and even mention of a dragon who might be working ot achieve it. But for the life of me can't remember which book I read it in. Dragons of the Sixth World maybe?

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 15 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

*cough*
Dunkie
*cough*

He's on a bid to upgrade before Verjigorm shows up, so he can kick his ass.

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Sep 15 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 18,539

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Sep 15 2010, 07:13 PM) *
I remember mention of another stage in a dragons life and even mention of a dragon who might be working ot achieve it. But for the life of me can't remember which book I read it in. Dragons of the Sixth World maybe?

You're thinking of Ryumyo, whom Dunkelzahn believed is attempting to take complete control of the aspected Ring of Fire and use its power to become really awesome.

> Dunkelzahn left documents with the Draco Foundation stating he
believed Ryumyo was attempting a metamorphosis into something
greater than a great dragon. Just what we need, a wyrm going to
super-saiyajin 2.
> Baka Dabora

To the OP: IIRC, the dragon race did not self-destruct because a great dragon (Legolan, or something like that I think) in either the 1st or 2nd age, maybe 3rd, convinced another great to work with him to create a system of rituals and rules among dragon culture, which was quite feral at that time. The idea caught on, and after a point you would have been a very foolish dragon not to give in to the peer pressure of being in the new society. Be that as it may, this is a very interesting idea you have. I like it.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Sep 15 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #5

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Dragon, Great Dragon, AWESOME Dragon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No, seriously, it's an interesting thought, but I think the *powerful* beings in SR are already powerful enough as it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But maybe they evolve into mentor spirits? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 15 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 15 2010, 08:02 PM) *
Dragon, Great Dragon, AWESOME Dragon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

I do love the Super-Saiyajin reference (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Omg Dunkie has 1 Million power Levels.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Sep 15 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Dragon Ball RPG: the only game where you can deal 36000 + 1D6 damage.

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Sep 15 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 15 2010, 08:05 PM) *
I do love the Super-Saiyajin reference (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Omg Dunkie has 1 Million power Levels.

His power level is OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Sep 15 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 15 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Dragon Ball RPG: the only game where you can deal 36000 + 1D6 damage.

No, that's skill checks. 1500+3d6 to deal 1500d6 damage

As starting characters.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 15 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

I remember that the greats got together and created a system of rituals and rules that became dragon culture. (thanks Sephiroth!!!) So they all behaved (somewhat) and did not kill each other over resources. However, as dragons live so long something has got to be occurring at the top end or (relatively) soon we would have an unsustainable population of Great Dragons on the planet.

Great Dragons live extremely long and thanks to dragon culture, don’t fight to the death very often. So, even a high attrition rate amongst adolescents and adult dragons would not alleviate the issue of overpopulation amongst Great Dragons. Another point I would add is that a further transformation would explain why dragon bones have never been found in the fossil record.

I am not advocating an inclusion of a “super” dragon but rather exploring the possibilities in dragon physiology according to game cannon. I do like the idea of the greats transforming into extremely powerful spirit-like beings who can walk amongst the “mortals” human and dragon alike undetected.

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 15 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,843

Well, the fact that very few manage to gather the power needed to transition to Great, and adult dragons who don't make that transition don't live as long helps cut down on that quite a bit. Add in the Horrors and the other major baddies that are after them, and makes sense that there aren't all that many.

Not that your idea isn't neat too, and would work, but it does seem to me that there are sufficient reasons in universe.

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Sep 15 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 15 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Well, the fact that very few manage to gather the power needed to transition to Great, and adult dragons who don't make that transition don't live as long helps cut down on that quite a bit. Add in the Horrors and the other major baddies that are after them, and makes sense that there aren't all that many.

Not that your idea isn't neat too, and would work, but it does seem to me that there are sufficient reasons in universe.

I believe these reasons are collectively known as Verjigorm, Hunter of Dragons. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I still like this idea though. It has very interesting potential.

EDIT: Besides, there should at least be SOME kind of being capable and hopefully eager to punch out Cthulhu Verjigorm.

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Sep 16 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 131

is ghostwalker a clue ?

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Sep 16 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Baby Dragon, Juvenile Dragon, Wyvern, Dragon, Great Dragon, Immortal Elf.

What?

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Sep 16 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Double post.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 16 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Nope. Immortal Elves are half breed offsprings of dragons and elves who listened to too much Berry White.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 16 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Sep 15 2010, 11:27 AM) *
As beings of the metaplanes these ancient dragons would subsist off of mana rather than meat and would allow adult and great dragons to use the limited prey resources available.

It was my understanding that normal dragons (much less Greats) were extremely powerful mages that knew most spells. Would this not include Nutrition and Crank?

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Sep 16 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 11:39 AM) *
It was my understanding that normal dragons (much less Greats) were extremely powerful mages that knew most spells. Would this not include Nutrition and Crank?

They probably have the dragon-magic equivalent, yeah. Probably without the side effects, since draconic magic is much different and more powerful than that of mere mortals.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Sep 16 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 15 2010, 02:30 PM) *
You're thinking of Ryumyo, whom Dunkelzahn believed is attempting to take complete control of the aspected Ring of Fire and use its power to become really awesome.

My first thought was that Ryumyo would ascend to the power level of Dunkelzahn's/Ghostwalker's mother, All-Wings. After all when she died, out of her heart grew the "White tree".

I find it ironic that the "pinnacle of femal dragonhood" could be slain, but the dragons of now are immortal little demigods.

I would have figured that collecting all 4 coins of luck would grant you the ability to "twist fate" or some great power like that. .... oh wait, this isn't 1st or 2nd edition.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 16 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

To be Fair. Thera threw a crap ton of power at All Wing. We're talking Circle 15 Grand Masters of the arts, a couple of giant Behemoths filled to the gills with fire cannons and adepts and spell casters. And they paid for it. In Spades.

So wait.. is Icewing GhostWalker?

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Sep 16 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 16 2010, 02:25 PM) *
To be Fair. Thera threw a crap ton of power at All Wing. We're talking Circle 15 Grand Masters of the arts, a couple of giant Behemoths filled to the gills with fire cannons and adepts and spell casters. And they paid for it. In Spades.

So wait.. is Icewing GhostWalker?

I thought he was Doll-maker (think that's the name) as Ghostwalker is the spirit master of the Greats. His ability with Spirits is unmatched among the Great Dragons.

Also, Mountainshadow = Dunkie

And yes, Thera threw an unbelievable amount of firepower at All-Wing. They paid dearly for their success too. As they should have as they were dealing with a most impressive Great Dragon (one who commanded immense respect from the other Greats).

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 16 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

And then One of her Kids went and assassinated the Theran's Prime Minister.. and just sat there watching them day in and day out for a while.

I know Mountainshadow=Dunkie, which is why I asked about Icewing.
Icewing is Mountainshadow's brother
GhostWalker is Dunkie's brother

You can understand why one might think they are one and the same.

But saying that the epitomy of Female Dragonhood got punked, and the Great Dragons now are demi gods isn't fair. She didn't get punked, someone paid serious drek to kill her.

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 16 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,843

QUOTE (darthmord @ Sep 16 2010, 04:03 PM) *
I thought he was Doll-maker (think that's the name) as Ghostwalker is the spirit master of the Greats. His ability with Spirits is unmatched among the Great Dragons.

Also, Mountainshadow = Dunkie

And yes, Thera threw an unbelievable amount of firepower at All-Wing. They paid dearly for their success too. As they should have as they were dealing with a most impressive Great Dragon (one who commanded immense respect from the other Greats).

Icewing = Doll Maker = Ghostwalker

He actually got the name Doll Maker because he's the one that created the drakes, and yes, he's the master of spirit magic.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 16 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 16 2010, 09:13 PM) *

He actually got the name Doll Maker because he's the one that created the drakes, and yes, he's the master of spirit magic.

I thought so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Sep 16 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 16 2010, 04:13 PM) *

Ancient has a post supporting this.
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Immortals.htm#14

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.