Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deck of Many Things in SR, The Other Games stragest artifacts in SR
Laodicea
post Sep 17 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749

So I've been thinking about what the implications of a DoMT being brought into the SR world would be. It would be an artifact on par with the coins of fate, the idol, etc. I'm also thinking that a great dragons unique twist fate ability might allow them to have some degree of control over The Deck. Any thoughts on this? Any uniquely SR things that should be added to The Deck? summoning a horror? possession by a powerful spirit? causing Awakening in the user? etc.

Another artifact from the Other Game that could be interesting in the SR setting is the Hand of Vecna. SR is a world full of cyber limb replacements. How about hyper-magical limb replacements? Just a thought.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 17 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

"What did you draw?" "The Cyborg, I suddenly got Move By Wire Rating 3 installed in me. Basic MBW3." "Oooooooooooo, that sucks, you being a magician and all."

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 17 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 17 2010, 10:44 AM) *
"What did you draw?" "The Cyborg, I suddenly got Move By Wire Rating 3 installed in me. Basic MBW3." "Oooooooooooo, that sucks, you being a magician and all."

"Aww man, I drew 'the Ghoul'." "Damn that sucks, you catch HMHVV, don't you have like 0.75 essence?" "Not any more, now I have -0.25"

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Sep 17 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

It would be cool if a great dragon hires the party to obtain the item because he thinks his twist fate power lets him have some control over the deck. First card he draws causes him to vanish in a puff of green vapor leaving the deck behind, and leaving the players with the question...

"Do you feel lucky punk? Well? Do ya?!"

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 17 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 17 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Why is TumTum just standing there like a statue? What card did he draw?
He got the cyborg..
Shit.. He was already almost a cyberzombie..
Well, now he's a cyber statue.. *assenses TumTum* wow.. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with -4.88 essence before.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 17 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Sep 17 2010, 11:00 AM) *
It would be cool if a great dragon hires the party to obtain the item because he thinks his twist fate power lets him have some control over the deck. First card he draws causes him to vanish in a puff of green vapor leaving the deck behind. And leaving the players with the question...

"Do you feel lucky punk? Well? Do ya?!"

I would like to draw 22 cards.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Sep 17 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

"You got the Accident card. It's been nice knowing you, but we can't be friends anymore. So long!"

Johnny draws from the deck, and disappears entirely due to the force 12 Concealment power the deck put on him permanently. Everyone thinks he's been killed or teleported to some hellish meta-plane. They're wrong, but in either case, they'll never see Johnny again.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Sep 17 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

Deck of Many Things Generator

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

"Why is Simon climbing up the wall and vomiting silk?"

"Oh, he pulled Flames. Ticked off a great bug spirit, so it snagged him. He'll be a beautiful butterfly in about an hour and a half."

"Well hell. Flamethrowers up, people."

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 17 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

"Ewwwwww, 'the Castle' is supposed to shower you in gold, not give you a golden shower."

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #11

Runner

"What the hell is TrogCorp?"

"Oh, Lenny drew Throne, and threw down his seat of power in Redmond. Alamos 20k is pissed."

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Sep 17 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Alas, my initial reply is more serious. I did an SR campaign where I took the plot of Tad William's "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn". Basic idea if it hasn't been read, there are these three swords that do all sorts of awesome crap that are part of a prophecy. I had Thorn fall into the hands of the Azzies, who had it reworked into a cyberarm and heavy pistol. It still was bad ass, but with gun stuff, obviously.

Okay, here's goes for funny-

Humanis Goon #1- So, Earl, whadja git?
Humanis Goon #2- ... The Troll? I guess I'll need bigger robes.
Humanis Goon #1- No. No, you won't.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Sep 17 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

So how about the hand of vecna? Essence loss in exchange for what? essence loss = magic gained? maybe the hand can cast one spell. Something a mundane couldn't normally do. Maybe the hand is some kind of inhabitation spirit that you make a pact with, giving it your essence in exchange for its services?

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #14

Runner

Power focus. Maybe one that creates a background count.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 17 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 17 2010, 12:38 PM) *
Power focus. Maybe one that creates a background count.

Power focus that costs a point of essence to bind rather than karma. And its like a Rating 12 focus.

And sometimes it uses essence drain on people you touch, whether you want it to or not. Maybe it needs to drain essence each month, and the player has to choose to take the drain themselves or drain someone else.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 17 2010, 04:43 PM) *
Power focus that costs a point of essence to bind rather than karma. And its like a Rating 12 focus.

And sometimes it uses essence drain on people you touch, whether you want it to or not. Maybe it needs to drain essence each month, and the player has to choose to take the drain themselves or drain someone else.

Ooooh. Oooh yeaaaah. It uses essence drain to power it to 12, and you have to charge it after you utilize the focus, otherwise it starts draining you - except that the power it absorbs is constantly decaying.

I like that.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Sep 17 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

^^ that's perfect.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #18

Runner

Without further ado, the Hand of Vecna:

Power Focus
Force: Magic*2
Binding Cost: 1 Essence
Qualities: Essence Drain, Spectral Hunger

A supple black glove made out of what looks to be leather, any Assensing(3) test will see that it carries an aura of power. Wearing the glove will cause it to start to bond to the user, taking 24 hours. At the end of the 24-hour period, the glove will be unable to be removed, absorbing 1 Essence from the wearer and causing the hand and glove to decay into a usable skeletal approximation.

The Hand is a power focus, amplifying the user's (now augmented) Magic rating to a maximum of twice said rating. The Force for this foci begins at 1. Users bound to the Hand will begin to feel a peculiar hunger as if Infected within 24 hours of binding; they must make a Willpower(3) save to initially resist grabbing the nearest person with the Hand. Doing so will activate the Hand's Essence Drain power, draining 1 Essence every Combat Round. Such drain is required to power the Hand, as it will then increase its Force by one point for every Essence drained until the maximum of Magic*2 is reached.

Power will decay from the Hand at a rate of 1+(spells cast) per day, at the stroke of midnight. Should the Hand reach a power level of zero without draining, it will instead take a point of Essence from the wearer and continue to function at Rating 1 until it is fed to its maximum capacity.

The hand may be removed by cutting off the hand that binds it, or by the death of the wearer. It will revert to a black glove within an hour of being unbound.

===

Something like that? Yes? No?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Sep 17 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

What if a mundane puts it on?

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 17 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Sep 17 2010, 12:54 PM) *
What if a mundane puts it on?

You can essence drain people, which is probably not enough. The hand could also count as a weapon focus, or more likely, it could have an innate spell or 3.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #21

Runner

I'd just say nothing happens. It's meant to empower magic users - and corrupt them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I'd go so far to say that the glove actively does not fit. It's far too small, and they can't even get their hand inside. A magician tries it, and it fits like - well, a glove.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Sep 17 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Can we add the head of Vecna to the list? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 17 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 17 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Can we add the head of Vecna to the list? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

The Head of Vecna:

Powers: Kills you.

DONE

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 17 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 17 2010, 02:32 PM) *
The Head of Vecna:

Powers: Kills you.

DONE

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Its not the head that kills you, its the surgery to get ready for implantation that does it.

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Sep 17 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Like it. Reminds me of the "Bottled Demon" module from SR1, I think. I modified for SR4, and modified it again to fit the campaign, and ran the gang through it.

Remembering that I also have taken items from the old series "Friday the 13th: The Series".

And you could do a Head of Vecna, as a cyberskull. From some cyberzombie, even. And because of the magical rituals that go into whole mess, maybe the skull got some mojo going in it.

Or just make the players think that and when they get it installed it's just, you know, a cyberskull. Not as funny as trying a head replacement, but could be worked convincingly in SR.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.