Reply to this topicStart new topic
> question regarding analyze device spell
EH44
post Sep 19 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,150

I did a few searches on this topic but didn't see quite what I was looking for, or in the alternative my search skills stink. Hoping someone can help me out with understanding how to use the analyze device spell.

My question specifically is about how to generate enough successes to make the spell worthwhile. The description says the net successes (after object resistance) give bonus dice while operating the device. In SR4A, it would seem that unless you are operating something very low tech, you are looking at a threshold of 4, 6, or more successes as the threshold. Then, you would need to sustain the spell, leading to -2 dice to your actions.

So if I have a mage that focused on detection magic just to cast this spell, so magic 6, spellcasting 6 (specialization detection), spider mentor (+2 to detection), power focus 2, that would be 18 dice which only average would only be 6 successes. Most of the time, even with a good roll, you might get a bonus die now and then.

But a non specialized mage would have even more difficult time trying to get this spell to work.

So my question to the forum is am I doing the math right and interpreting this spell correctly? Also, I would be interested to hear how any of you have used this spell? I have never made a mage with this spell before but wanted to have some fun with it the next game I play. I appreciate any comments on this, thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 19 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

First off: The spell is disgusting. I hate it. There is always one saying: Hey, my gun is a device: Bing... now i have dozens (ok... a few) of extra dice.

Second: Well, Sustaining Foci help with the -2, or you can be drugged, or anchor it. Of course all of it costs.

Yeah, 18 dice would be 6 in average. but it is also not really rare to have 3 or 9, or maybe more. Just cast itonce with edge and you have bazillion more hits (max. the force of course). IF you have such a high sustaining fokus you can have a permanent + to some of your most valuable skills.

EDIT: Ah and well: High tech (which mostly gives you pretty high equipment dice or opens up great possibilities) shouldn't benefit that much of magic too

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Sep 19 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

I have to agree. I am a powergamer since the start and i am always open for ways to become more powerful, but magic and tech doesn´t really mesh up very well....and it should stay like that. Mundanes have their benefits (e.g. skillwires that grant you nearly every skill with no karma cost), Awakened have theirs (spells that make most skills useless or cover their use). If an awakened char. wants to wield a gun, he should pay for it, not use the side-effect of a stupid spell that nobody ever used that i know of. But to answer your question: your math is right. The spell is just worthless.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Sep 19 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

one net hit is sufficient to operate the crashing helicopter your're in. you otherwise couldn't default.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Sep 19 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

QUOTE (Makki @ Sep 19 2010, 07:46 AM) *
one net hit is sufficient to operate the crashing helicopter your're in. you otherwise couldn't default.

Right, but one net hit is nearly impossible to reach without the use of edge...and spells that only work with overcasting and edge are directly put in my "useless spell" folder.^^

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 19 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 19 2010, 02:22 AM) *
Right, but one net hit is nearly impossible to reach without the use of edge...and spells that only work with overcasting and edge are directly put in my "useless spell" folder.^^

Why? Force 5 will get you acccess to that Crashing Helicopter (OR of 5)... Net Hits are not required to successfully use the device, just to gain a benefit out of using the device...

The Mage at our table almost always caps his hits to Force... It is a rare thing when he doe not... Typical Force of his Spells is 5-7 (His Magic is a 7)

+Quote Post
jakephillips
post Sep 20 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,852

My crew has used it to pick locks casting it on the picks, Once on a parachute he was going to use when the plane they were on was going down. He used a spirit to sustain the spell each time for several rounds.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.