IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fomori+Dermal Sheathing=?, When a troll gets a new skin.
Faraday
post Sep 25 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,155

I have a fomori samurai who I'd like to apply full body dermal sheathing to. Since fomori are normally smooth skinned and smaller than standard trolls, would this allow me to remove the "smooth skinned" part?

The idea would be to essentially make him look like a rather short troll.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 25 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Dermal Sheaths can be stylized for surface texture and color just like dermal plating (see Cosmetic Cyberware, p. 33, for options).

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Sep 25 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

You want to make your character uglier?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 25 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Maybe he's a teenager. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Sep 25 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

His intent is probably to try to reduce that "Distinctive Look" penalty. While trolls are the less common metatype, Fomori are much rarer and this makes the character easier to remember - and to locate if some peoples really want t o have a little chat with him about something that exploded or someone who got a little bit dead...

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Sep 25 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Dahrken @ Sep 24 2010, 10:12 PM) *
His intent is probably to try to reduce that "Distinctive Look" penalty. While trolls are the less common metatype, Fomori are much rarer and this makes the character easier to remember - and to locate if some peoples really want t o have a little chat with him about something that exploded or someone who got a little bit dead...

That's the idea. He'll still pretty scrawny for a troll, but with dermal sheathing, at least he'll just look like a scrawny troll, and not a normal size fomori. (In theory)

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Sep 26 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 26 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

I see no reason why you wouldn't just play a regular troll if you wanted to be uglier?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 26 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Duh: Fomori are better. Besides, it's not the same from a roleplaying perspective (assuming that matters, hehe).

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 27 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Does he really need to go to those lengths, though? For one, dermal sheathing itself, while cumulative with troll "natural" armor, probably already smooths out a troll's "lumpy" appearance. Secondly, there are probably plenty of trolls who get cosmetic biomods specifically to tone down the appearance of their dermal deposits.

What he's planning right now is basically ameliorating the distinctive style quality, at the expense of giving himself a metaposeur quality.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 27 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

I mean, 'those lengths'? AFAIK, styling dermal plating/sheathing is free (assuming he wanted it in the first place). (*Possibly* it goes beyond the free version, and 'Shaped Dermal Plating' for 1200¥ is required.)

While I get your point that he might already look like a Troll with dermal augmentations (however common and well-known that is), either way is equally easy. Let's assume that he's a Fomori from the beginning; if he wants to fit in better with common trolls, this isn't the worst tactic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It all depends on the roleplaying concerns. Is he roleplaying a Fomori who would do this to fit in with trolls?

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 27 2010, 03:52 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Why not just SURGE to get Dermal Deposits, or just take them normally?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 27 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

He could do that, but it's a different thing. It's not a Fomori trying to fit in, it's a Fomori who already fits in.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Sep 28 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 26 2010, 05:52 PM) *
It all depends on the roleplaying concerns. Is he roleplaying a Fomori who would do this to fit in with trolls?

That's that part of it. While working for Evo he had taken the dermal deposits to help out with his job and had them formed in such a way as to give him the "troll skin". Part of it was to fit in as a troll with other trolls, but he also did it to keep up with the perception other company men of him as a troll.

On a side note, this guy got washed out from Evo and got a severance package including amnesia with occasional flashbacks and a couple mental issues.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Sep 28 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

That's a crappy severance package. Remind me never to work for Evo.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Sep 28 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Tyro @ Sep 27 2010, 08:34 PM) *
That's a crappy severance package. Remind me never to work for Evo.

Well, the idea was just to give him some targeted amnesia. Remove the important parts about their security protocol and all that. That he also lost a good bit of his other memory isn't really their problem.

I might also add that amnesia and flashbacks are like peanut butter and honey. Two great tastes that taste great together!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.