IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hand of God, How do you play the Hand of God rule?
Hand of God
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
Aerospider
post Sep 27 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,968

Just wondered what the general consensus was on the Hand of God rule. Please click all that apply (though the first three should be considered mutually exclusive).
Feel free to debate.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Sep 27 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

My players can use it however often they like. It's their Karma they're burning, after all.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Sep 27 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I'm not sure how you meant #5. You're referring to permanent edge there, right? In which case 1 and 5 also exclude each other..

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 27 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

I allow it (Hasn't cropped up yet), but I have a plan to show how costly it is... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 27 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

I mostly allow it. But it doesn't protect from "follow up moves" or consequences, only ONCE you can get away.

For example:

Foe sneaks up on someone and shoots him in the head. Player uses Hand of God to not die: So i rule that he maybe got shot, but his thick skull deflected the bullet, knocking him out (and some minor damage)
The "Hand of God" will not prevent the assassin to shoot him again a few times, or checking up if that dude is dead (although i will rule that he assumes it, and will not fill him with bullets unless he has a good reason for that) Nor will it protect him from being found and eaten by ghouls if no one gets him.

Also i might charge more Edge if he wants to survive something truely ridiculous. (One edge per logical jump) - for example: he want's to: Survive the explosion, be ignored by the sea-critters and then somehow wash up to the shore... three Edge, man... ah well, maybe two.

+Quote Post
TheScrivener
post Sep 27 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,993

I try to get my players to share the storyteller's hat as much as possible, and Edge is a big part of that. Any use of Edge has to be justified by a signature move or a lucky break, and needs to be described as such; burning Edge such as for Hand of God needs to be a cllimactic moment which defines the session, or it doesn't fly. If your character doesn't want to die like a punk in a taupe hallway, you better have something for him to LIVE FOR!

+Quote Post
Notsoevildm
post Sep 27 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,869

I would allow it, but not without consequences.

Get shot in the head - maybe you wake up with amnesia, in a cell, naked, next to Bubba the love troll.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Sep 27 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Runner

I certainly wouldn't charge multiple points for a single encounter. It's more like this: everyone thought you were dead, but you...

came back...

So the character is definitely out of action for the scene, likely for the rest of the game session. (I like to have the dangerous fights near the end of the game session.)

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 27 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

My feelings on this issue are...complicated.

Maybe I will expand on this post later.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Sep 27 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

My two big issues are the consequences and that in some situations it is pointless (Bullet to the back of the head--yeah right!!).

I think the main point of the hand of god rule is to prevent a PC from dying to a luck shot. This does not mean they go un hurt, which may mean the players PC becomes non-playable for a significant period of time.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 27 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

You wake up briefly to an unfamiliar face.
"Don't worry.. we'll fix you up."
And you black out again.

You wake up again, in a hospital bed, in some way way off the books black ops medical facility.

A new campaign begins (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Sep 27 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 27 2010, 01:43 PM) *
You wake up briefly to an unfamiliar face.
"Don't worry.. we'll fix you up."
And you black out again.

You wake up again, in a hospital bed, in some way way off the books black ops medical facility.

A new campaign begins (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And you can swear you occasionally hear a ticking noise that nobody else can hear...

-k

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 27 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 27 2010, 07:21 PM) *
And you can swear you occasionally hear a ticking noise that nobody else can hear...

-k

I prefer the poison filled sacs sewn into your arteries.. slowly breaking apart unless you get a certain shot of enzymes regularly.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Sep 27 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

I am totally for it. It supports cinematic action IMO. In how many movies has the hero been in a situation where the villain had him dead to rights or an explosion was about to kill him but a random looking event disrupts the attack etc.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 27 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #15

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

If you can coem up with a reason I'll let it fly. So what SR4 makes PCs hard to kill if the player wants them to live and? If the play doesn't want the PC to die they'll send edge I'll depending on circumstance often not let them get out of the shit for free tha'ts what burning edge for a critical success is for. HoG is for when you really need to escape death for example you could Cirt success you resistance roll against the head shot but then you still have to fight off the assassin or you could HoG it get knocked out wake up nude in a morge.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 27 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 27 2010, 04:55 PM) *
My feelings on this issue are...complicated.

Maybe I will expand on this post later.

Echoing this sentiment. Having had my Hand of God turn into 'you're playing a GMPC now', I'm a fan of some stringent regulation on the 'consequences' aspect.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Sep 27 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Hand of God is a funny thing. Generally speaking it's on unless the death is to be caused by the characters own stupidity when there were other options. Wanting to use hand of god when you've decided to fight rather then run from ares firewatch (especially when there's in character reasons to do so) is fine. Usually if Hand of God isn't going to be usable for an encounter the players know about it well in advance but those situations have been few and far between. On the whole I've found the costs involved more then limit the practice enough.

On a similar note when Hand of God is used it tends to be a fairly solid save. The assasin shoots the PC and is then shot by another rooftop sniper, or the police arrive, or Docwagon just happens to be right there, something takes the characfter out of the situation and ensure that they will still be viable. That's not to say I havn't done the "You owe some powerful people a big favor for saving your life." angle, but I try to avoid things as open and shut as cranial bombs and mysterious implants. Often Don Corleone just shows up at their hospital bed with flowers. "Get better soon kid, all this has made me aware I have some work your uniquely suited for."

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 27 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #18

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 27 2010, 11:08 PM) *
On a similar note when Hand of God is used it tends to be a fairly solid save. The assasin shoots the PC and is then shot by another rooftop sniper, or the police arrive, or Docwagon just happens to be right there, something takes the characfter out of the situation and ensure that they will still be viable. That's not to say I havn't done the "You owe some powerful people a big favor for saving your life." angle, but I try to avoid things as open and shut as cranial bombs and mysterious implants. Often Don Corleone just shows up at their hospital bed with flowers. "Get better soon kid, all this has made me aware I have some work your uniquely suited for."

Aye the means of payment depends on how they surive I often get the PC to decide how as well or at least hash it out. IF they want to play the corp prisoner aspect or don't mind it I might go there but I'm unlikely to force them in to a situation that the play might just of his PC his self.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Sep 27 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #19

Runner

Survival by HoG always has a price, but this kind of powerful GM intervention should be coordinated with the player; it should feel as paying a price, but the character should still be fun.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 27 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

The main character of some of my stories used the HoG rule to save his own ass.

He's mostly cybernetic now, and mildly unbalanced due to various other events relating to the event.

Actually, that makes him even more fun.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Sep 28 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 27 2010, 01:55 PM) *
I'm not sure how you meant #5. You're referring to permanent edge there, right? In which case 1 and 5 also exclude each other..

By RAW, HoG needs the PC to have a free Edge point to spend and when he spends it to save his life his Edge attribute drops by 1. In my last session the technomancer got chewed by a cybertooth tiger but had already spent all (both) his Edge points so technically that should have been that, but I decided to show some compassion and allow it.

Well I say 'compassion', but he's now on a rock bottom Edge attribute and about to find out the full extent of the damage ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
Fringe
post Sep 28 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,170

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 27 2010, 05:44 PM) *
Echoing this sentiment. Having had my Hand of God turn into 'you're playing a GMPC now', I'm a fan of some stringent regulation on the 'consequences' aspect.

I second this. Apparently, having to burn an Edge point (which already makes the character less powerful) isn't enough for some GMs. Too many "extra consequences" can lead to that character having to burn more Edge, which leads to a death spiral of non-fun. While I'm not normally a fan of the "slippery slope" argument, I think GMs need to tread lightly with the "extra consequences", since consequence is built into the mechanic as written. I can accept some story/RP possibilities, but be careful with anything that has a negative quality attached to it (like the Cranial Bomb), since the permanent loss of Edge has already made the character less powerful.

As an example, let's consider a character with Edge 3 (about the minimum I'd recommend for a character) in a Missions game. If that character has to use HoG, he burns a point of Edge, permanently dropping to Edge 2. If I want my Edge score back, I have to spend 15 (New Rating x 5) Karma to do so. That's three full Missions (assuming my average of 5 Karma per Mission) where I'm basically getting no Karma to spend on other stuff but rather just scraping my way back to where I started.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Sep 29 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Fringe @ Sep 28 2010, 01:58 PM) *
I second this. Apparently, having to burn an Edge point (which already makes the character less powerful) isn't enough for some GMs. Too many "extra consequences" can lead to that character having to burn more Edge, which leads to a death spiral of non-fun. While I'm not normally a fan of the "slippery slope" argument, I think GMs need to tread lightly with the "extra consequences", since consequence is built into the mechanic as written. I can accept some story/RP possibilities, but be careful with anything that has a negative quality attached to it (like the Cranial Bomb), since the permanent loss of Edge has already made the character less powerful.

As an example, let's consider a character with Edge 3 (about the minimum I'd recommend for a character) in a Missions game. If that character has to use HoG, he burns a point of Edge, permanently dropping to Edge 2. If I want my Edge score back, I have to spend 15 (New Rating x 5) Karma to do so. That's three full Missions (assuming my average of 5 Karma per Mission) where I'm basically getting no Karma to spend on other stuff but rather just scraping my way back to where I started.

A poor GM could really overdo the consequences aspect, but IMO HoG should hurt bad. If you play it by RAW you can do HoG multiple times, making a 6+ Edge character effectively immortal except for really long campaigns (and over-deadly ones). If one of my players were to create a big stink over the terms of his 'reincarnation' I'd start fishing out a new character sheet for him. Three missions in exchange for your life? Seems fine to me.

"Hey, if you don't wanna die I can always get out my Toon books ...?"

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Sep 29 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

Generally, I allow HoG within a pretty wide margin of reason. Explosions make for pretty good "no one could've survived that" situations. If a character jumps out of a suborbital in mid-flight without clothes or any protective gear...

Also, I house rule that when a character burns edge (for any reason), it lowers their max edge by 1 as well.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 29 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Sep 29 2010, 01:06 PM) *
A poor GM could really overdo the consequences aspect, but IMO HoG should hurt bad. If you play it by RAW you can do HoG multiple times, making a 6+ Edge character effectively immortal except for really long campaigns (and over-deadly ones). If one of my players were to create a big stink over the terms of his 'reincarnation' I'd start fishing out a new character sheet for him. Three missions in exchange for your life? Seems fine to me.

"Hey, if you don't wanna die I can always get out my Toon books ...?"

If it's to the point a character is having to HoG more than once a campaign, I would think there's an underlying problem in the campaign itself that needs to be looked at.

I'm all for a lethal game, that's fine. However, if someone's to the point they HoG or lose their sheet, then the GM saying "WELL THE BAD GUY PUMPS A FEW MORE ROUNDS IN NOW WHAT" crosses the line into that GM v PC area that makes for a bad situation.

HoG already burns a point of Edge. Additional consequences such as scars and extended heal times are also understandable - you're cheating Death, and he's not going to let you go without a little something to remember him by. But there should be limits to it, otherwise it's better off for the player to roll a new sheet - and it is the player's sheet. We as GM's shouldn't be making extensive changes to it without their input and their consent. Telling them 'you're taking all this or roll another sheet' just stinks of sour grapes to me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.