Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cash for Karma and Vice Versa
Socinus
post Sep 27 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

Our group has decided to institute a Cash for Karma system (borrowed from a post I saw here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) because almost all of our players are either Magicians, Adepts, and one Technomancer so consequently money is of very little use to us.

Our mundane wants to know if he could sell his own Karma for cash, because money is of far greater use to him. We're having difficulty coming up with an equitable exchange rate for him. Currently it's 20,000 for 1 Karma with a max of 5 per session if we want to buy Karma, but we arent sure what exactly to offer him in terms of cash.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 27 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Well, I have Sleazy the Karma Spirit. He shows up when you want to sell Karma for Cash, in his White Ford E-250 Panel Van.

He offers credsticks, cash (Country Money or Corporate Script), gold coins, and easily pawnable items.

So far, my group hasn't taken advantage of this, mainly due to me using a fan-made drawing of Alice Cooper as a description of this guy.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 27 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 27 2010, 07:00 PM) *
Well, I have Sleazy the Karma Spirit. He shows up when you want to sell Karma for Cash, in his White Ford E-250 Panel Van.

He offers credsticks, cash (Country Money or Corporate Script), gold coins, and easily pawnable items.

So far, my group hasn't taken advantage of this, mainly due to me using a fan-made drawing of Alice Cooper as a description of this guy.

LOL oh my. You should totally have it say something about candy on the side.

That just kills me. lol

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 27 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Dose he sell too?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 27 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Sometimes, yes.

Here's the pic I used, I think.

Edit: Sorry, nope, this is the one I used.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 28 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #6

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2010, 12:13 AM) *
Sometimes, yes.

Here's the pic I used, I think.

Edit: Sorry, nope, this is the one I used.

Suits him well.

+Quote Post
jakephillips
post Sep 28 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,852

QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 27 2010, 05:33 PM) *
Our group has decided to institute a Cash for Karma system (borrowed from a post I saw here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) because almost all of our players are either Magicians, Adepts, and one Technomancer so consequently money is of very little use to us.

Our mundane wants to know if he could sell his own Karma for cash, because money is of far greater use to him. We're having difficulty coming up with an equitable exchange rate for him. Currently it's 20,000 for 1 Karma with a max of 5 per session if we want to buy Karma, but we arent sure what exactly to offer him in terms of cash.

What do you think?

Probably my post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif) I make it the same both ways so cyber folks can get cool new gear and such. Depends on how much money is in your campaign. I normally set it so they can pick up a few extra points each run and still pay lifestyle costs. With attributes now costing 5x eats karma faster than a fat fifth grader eats candy. One of my street sams saved up for several runs to get to edge 6 only cost 30 karma.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Sep 28 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

We use a system like this in our group. It's 5000 Nuyen for 1 Karma.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Sep 28 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

I know only a few Groups that use these Houserules and they convert 5000 or 2500 ¥ for 1 Karma (2500 cause it's streamlined with the Karma Rules)

@Socinus
Why don't You talk to Your GM and simply ask for more Karma ?

HokaHey
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 28 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

We've used it. I allow it as long as theres a good reason behind the exchange.
We used the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) 5000-1 karma ratio.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Sep 28 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Sep 28 2010, 04:02 AM) *
@Socinus
Why don't You talk to Your GM and simply ask for more Karma ?

HokaHey
Medicineman

Either do this, or have the GM engineer some slightly different rewards for shadowruns. Mr. Johnsons could provide access to magical training, other mundane skill training or grant them karma-free contacts.

There's a ton of different ways to reward PCs besides just cash.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 28 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

I allow for it too. But not in fixed rates. I base my rate upon how much the people saved up, earned and need the other ressource. If they come by huge amounts of money, they can't just give it all to the mage and he "buys" himself a crapton of karma.

It's based upon how much you are willing to give up.

For example a millionaire mage may do it paying 100k per karma.

A dude totally down on his luck, and unable to earn that much cash (streetlevel, low magic-attribute/skill) may get a karma for 500 bucks.

I also trade karma for cash... Also depending on the ressources of the character: If he just don't NEED any karma: his bad, low payout. But if he is desperate for BOTH he can earn more cash. (I use the: karma is change- angle. Have him luck in some games, great investment etc. May start a story arc)

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Sep 28 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 27 2010, 07:00 PM) *

He should sell chloroform scented washcloths.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Sep 28 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

My group just recently adopted a trading system of:

give 1 karma for 2.5k nuyen
-OR-
give 5k nuyen for 1 karma

with no more than 2 karma being traded in either way, let's see how this ends up.

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Sep 28 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,877

Holy crap... 5000:1?

That's the bargain of the century, lol. How much do Beta Grade Reflexes cost again?

Cash for Karma is an inherently broken house rule because Karma is worth so much more to Awakened characters than money is to mundanes. Even at basic levels, a mage is getting enough Karma from every adventure to learn a new spell. The Samurai is not buying a pile of new gear or cyberware after every run. Like I said in another thread:

Mages who have too much money should be doing what any good, rich Magician should do. Models.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 29 2010, 01:27 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Initiation don't come cheap, not to mention skill and stat improvements, more Martial arts, buying off flaws, all these things require the awakened to need a Cash to Karma program, and honestly there are plenty of reasons a Sam could use the reverse. Think rating 3 Delta grade move-by-wire grows on trees? Not to mention the giant pile of cash you probably gonna need to make the roll to find the damn clinic in the first place.

Nothing wrong with concept, just gotta find the balance of conversion sounds like we have 20k to 1 or 5k to 1 so far.

+Quote Post
jakephillips
post Sep 29 2010, 02:03 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,852

QUOTE (Marcus @ Sep 28 2010, 08:27 PM) *
Initiation don't come cheap, not to mention skill and stat improvements, more Martial arts, buying off flaws, all these things require the awakened to need a Cash to Karma program, and honestly there are plenty of reasons a Sam could use the reverse. Think rating 3 Delta grade move-by-wire grows on trees? Not to mention the giant pile of cash you probably gonna need to make the roll to find the damn clinic in the first place.

Nothing wrong with concept, just gotta find the balance of conversion sounds like we have 20k to 1 or 5k to 1 so far.

All depends on the funding of your game. My numbers have changed over the course of the game as my players moved up the food chain in Seattle they got paid more and it costs more money for karma.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 29 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (jakephillips @ Sep 28 2010, 09:03 PM) *
All depends on the funding of your game. My numbers have changed over the course of the game as my players moved up the food chain in Seattle they got paid more and it costs more money for karma.

What i take away from that is your suggesting as you street cred increases and theoretical job price the conversion a ratio should slid up.

5k in the 1-4 SC 10k in the 5-8 SC and 20K 9+?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.