IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lizardmen as a playable race
To be or not to be a lizzie?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 69
Guests cannot vote 
bloodnmetal
post Sep 29 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,233

I was looking at some rpg articles here and there and it just hit me; would it be ok to have lizardmen as a playable race?

both as a GM and a player, i kinda dislike to see some mixes... i'm well aware of big bad trollies and dorfs walking around, as well as it's deviant metatypes (minos, satyrs and such), but perhaps i think lizardmen might be a lil' awkward (more over if found in packs) because they wouldn't be mammals like the rest of the PC races...

i'd like to hear your thoughts about it and, whenever possible, if at all, racial traits and rules (such as BP cost for character creation).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CeeJay
post Sep 29 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Nowhere near you... unless you happen to be near Cologne.
Member No.: 16,776

*shrug* If you want freaks like lizardmen in your game, surge is they way to go...

-CJ

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 29 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,843

Well, it's not like lizardmen aren't already part of the SR universe. I'm fully expecting the T'skrang (and Obsidmen) to show up.

The T'skrang (if that's what you want to use as your template) would probably have +1 BOD, +1 AGI, +1 CHA

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 29 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 29 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Well, it's not like lizardmen aren't already part of the SR universe. I'm fully expecting the T'skrang (and Obsidmen) to show up.

T'skrang, maybe. Obsidimen have probably been all turned into macahuitls or teocalli altars by now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 29 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Lizardwomen are sexy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
WalksWithWiFi
post Sep 29 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 17,999

yes, we need more freakish races in SR.....
voted no.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 29 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

I just had this vision of a bunch of Obsidimen waking up in Stone Henge during a Druidic Conference going.. "why are you guys in our lifestone?"

That's pretty classic funny.

In Earthdawn it's clear the Obsdimen were around during the 2nd age, and somehow slumbered during the 3rd. I could see them showing up again when the Magic gets high enough.

T'SKrang are more like Dinosaurmen than Lizardmen.

+Quote Post
bloodnmetal
post Sep 29 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,233

QUOTE (WalksWithWiFi @ Sep 29 2010, 10:53 AM) *
yes, we need more freakish races in SR...
yeah, that's exactly what i'm afraid of...

but would lizardmen (or t'skrang, for that matter) get something like a dermal armor for it's scales, olfatory boost or something?

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 29 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

eh we got free spirits, naga, changlings, drakes, surge and AIs why not one more?

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 29 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I would so rather see T'skrang or Obsidianmen as opposed to the big birds and cthulhu muppet's that the changeling's brought us. (And yes using changeling rules you can make a big bird or a cthulhu cookie monster.)

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 29 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

Lizardmen no, T'Skrang why the fuck not.

+Quote Post
EKBT81
post Sep 29 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,124

QUOTE (WalksWithWiFi @ Sep 29 2010, 04:53 PM) *
yes, we need more freakish races in SR.....
voted no.

Same here.

There are already enough "freak show" options with metavariants and SURGE.

No T'skrang or Obsidimen for me either. I never cared for the Earthdawn crossover. I'm fine with it as long as it's only in novels and cryptic shadowtalk comments. You can easily ignore those.

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Sep 29 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

If you wan lizardmen SURGE them, any new metatype would be rare enough initially we don't need, and frankly I don't want, stats for them.

+Quote Post
Godwyn
post Sep 29 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,838

I would see Lizardmen more as sapient critters like the Sasquatch rather than as a metavariant. Think a swamp at night is scary enough with just awakened critters to worry about, imagine something the build of a crocodile, only aware, and able to out think you.

Something like lizardmen, set and cohesive, bothers me a lot less than the ridiculousness that is SURGE and changelings.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Sep 29 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Yeah, you can get pretty close to a t'skrang (or lizardman, or Argonian - all the same thing in my book) by using Surge on your preferred race. If a 15 point changeling doesn't cover it, throw in "genetic heritage" for transgenic alteration (alien appearance or animal features) to round things out. Hmm, lemee see what I can work up...

T. Skrang Changelings:
cost: 15 points
This complex of metagenes, identified and sequenced by Doctor Tran Skrang of University Bali, results in a changeling who superficially resembles a bipedal reptile or dinosaur with a powerful and highly functional crocodilian tail and a sharp beak (most often with internal teeth). The metacomplex is most common by far among humans of Indonesia (and pacifica in general), being only several times observed in elves or dwarfs; it has never been observed of in orcs or trolls. Some of the same metagenes found in this complex have also been found to exist in the Naga genome, but so far no identical sequences have been found, with genetic drift indicating that any potential genetic exchange happened over 20,000 years ago.

POSITIVe MeTAGeNeTIC QUALITIeS: 35 points
Underwater Vision+5, Gills+5, Beak+5, Functional Tail +20 (count as Balance Tail, Thagomizer & Paddle Tail)
NeGATIVe MeTAGeNeTIC QUALITIeS: 20 Points
Scales -5 (most often green, blue-green, or yellow-green), Extravagent Eyes -5 (large, slitted, and most often red and gold), Critter Spook -5 (reptilian odor), Mood Hair -5 (crest, tail)

note- In Earthdawn, T'skrang have essentially human stats and abilities, with the tail and ability to live under water being the only outstanding features (mechanics-wise). It would be reasonable to drop "beak" and "balance tail" along with "critter spook" and "mood hair", as they are not strictly called for by the rules on T'skrang. However, given the fact that T'skrang can not be beastmasters, eat awesomely spicy pickled fish without consequence, and are often described as flamboyant acrobats and liars, those qualities fit nicely.

Looks like a 15 point changeling covers if pretty well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If you really want them as a race, make them a human metavariant. The Nartaki is feeling lonely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 29 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Conan The Adventurer cartoon show = your destiny

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 30 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Sep 29 2010, 05:46 PM) *
Yeah, you can get pretty close to a t'skrang (or lizardman, or Argonian - all the same thing in my book) by using Surge on your preferred race. If 15 point Surge doesn't cover it, throw in "genetic heritage" for transgenic alteration (alien appearance or animal features) to round things out. Hmm, lemee see what I can work up...

[ Spoiler ]

I like this.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Sep 30 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 29 2010, 02:04 PM) *
The T'skrang (if that's what you want to use as your template) would probably have +1 BOD, +1 AGI, +1 CHA

I disagree. In ED, they get +1 tgh, +1 dex, and +1 chr- but ED stats range from 3-18 for humans, and humans (if you use tribal varients) can get +1 to two different stats. So really, T'skrang stats are perfectly in line with human even in ED, and if you acount for SR's more granular scale, no adjustments are justified. They even move at the exact same rate as humans (on land, at least). So really, a SURGEd human with warm-water adaptations, a fancy tail, and reptilian cosmetics fits the bill very nicely, mechanics wise. If there was a localized population (as I proposed there being in Indonesia) they would tend to interbreed; giving them the "beak" quality makes them freaks, the effects of which would be simple to avoid by forming closed communties, perhaps specializing in underwater construction, fish farming, and so on.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 30 2010, 01:06 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

they've said the ED races/universe has broken away, different corporate owners now I htyink.

I'm in thel ine with too many freakish races already. Maybe you encounter some weird group living in a bayou but as a regular race, no. with drakes and ghouls being hunted on sight odds are lizard men as a race would be ending up as Real Life Croc Covered boots in your local mall before they could get recognized.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Sep 30 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

That's partly why I picked Indonesia. Borneo has HUGE areas of wilderness, much of it swampland. Its also a great place for a pirate base. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
On the other hand, plenty of sentient races have avoided persecution while interfacing with humanity. If a group of swamp dwelling T. Skrang changelings wanted to go public, they probably could without much danger. They'd also probably make a fortune if they sold the rights to an "anthropological documentary" about their community, allowed some anthro-tourists in (while playing up the exotica), and so on.
SURGE seems to be SR's current answer to the "what happened to T'skrang and Obsidimen" questions. The genes are (mostly) still there, they just don't show up in the right combos in distinct populations (and in the case of Obsidimen, probably won't, since it takes more than genetics).

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Sep 30 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

Speaking of Obsidianmen, I'd love to see playable Gargoyles as an Obsidianmen metavariant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 30 2010, 02:30 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Here we go, the Conan the Adventurer intro, complete with lizardmen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SsHfWBLVr0

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Sep 30 2010, 02:58 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Evil serpent-men, not fun-loving lizard-men. Different thing completely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Sep 30 2010, 03:05 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Sep 29 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Evil serpent-men, not fun-loving lizard-men. Different thing completely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

The differance being the amount of sunning they are allowed.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 30 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Sep 29 2010, 11:05 PM) *
The differance being the amount of sunning they are allowed.

Which is which?
Are the happy reptiles the ones that get plenty of sun, or the ones who are too cold to bother moving?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 11:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.