Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV Shows that translate to Shadowrun, For something slightly different
Krojar
post Oct 2 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,986

I figured there were enough Movie threads that I'd start a TV one (I hope one hasn't been started recently). Anyway, here are mine:

The Wire
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Fringe
Max Headroom
Twin Peaks
Bubblegum Crisis
X-Files
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 2 2010, 05:10 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Supernatural, in a strange and bizarre fashion.
Drexter, in another.
Most crime drama (Crash, CSI, Law and Order...) though generally more from the law enforcement side than the criminal side, but those are just two sides of the same coin.
Also Leverage, in yet another strange fashion.

I've also seen some movies that made me go "ShadowRun, ShadowRun!" Namely Mission Impossible, Italian Job, and Inception (although Inception pushes the boundary a little).

+Quote Post
Krojar
post Oct 2 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 18,986

Supernatural is pretty good. I like all the "rules" that spirits/ghosts/demons etc. have to follow which eventually cumulates into actual consistency. Of course, my main complaint about the show (at least metawise) was that no matter how obscure or bizzare something was they ALWAYS found the answer in a musty tome somewhere (though to be fair sometimes it takes them a bit of legwork).

I don't really care for most crime drama, but I did include The Wire since it digs much deeper, including all aspects of the sprawl: Not just law enforcement but just as in depth with the street, the crumbling ports, the backstabbing politics, and the fucked up media. A great way to get a feel for an entire city instead of just one tiny aspect.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 2 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #4

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Dark Angel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Oct 2 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

Leverage! They're hooding though

+Quote Post
SleepIncarnate
post Oct 2 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,931

Serial Experiments Lain. A GREAT example of a world where the Matrix (or the Wired as they call it) is everywhere, affects everything, and even bleeds into real life. Just picture Lain as that scary mix of mage and TM that everyone fears may one day happen.

+Quote Post
Ghremdal
post Oct 2 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 17,900

Whenever I need inspiration for a run, I look for a episode of Burn Notice. Just add magic and its ready to go.

+Quote Post
Dwight
post Oct 2 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,795

When I watch The Wire I definitely do NOT think Shadowrun. *shrug*

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Oct 2 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

Any of the Law-and-order or CSI variants tend to be good for generating a backstory, although some don't work so great for SR, usually you need to write the hook from scratch.

Whenever I try to write anything, getting started is usually the hardest part, stealing a small story element from someone else usually jump-starts the process.

+Quote Post
SecGuard
post Oct 2 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 18,323

Silent Witness, Whitechappel, DCI Banks.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Oct 2 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

Ordered by title:
  • A-Team – an arc-typical pink-mohawk team
  • Burn Notice – shows just how useful a loyalty 6 contact really is.
  • Dark Angel – genetic engineering in a city that could be SR's Denver
  • Firefly – think of the ship as a panzer and the verse as UCAS & NAN
  • Ghost in the Shell – matrix, near future, etc.
  • Leverage – an arc-typical black-trenchcoat team
  • Max Headroom – media types as runners
  • Stingray (NBC) – my favourite runner turned hooder

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Oct 2 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

I'm worried about supernatural. It got moved to fridays at freaking 9pm, the proverbial deathknell for shows. The wife told me she read somewhere that the producers of the show would be happy as clams if they hit the 6th season, she said this is the 6th season.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 2 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Oct 2 2010, 12:16 PM) *
I'm worried about supernatural. It got moved to fridays at freaking 9pm, the proverbial deathknell for shows. The wife told me she read somewhere that the producers of the show would be happy as clams if they hit the 6th season, she said this is the 6th season.

Yup this fall is the sixth season. And I'm behind, I missed the 5th season completely.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Oct 2 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm... i am repeating myself... but oh hell. It's not that i will be hunted down for it. (Or will i, guys? GUYS?... GRAAAAH)

Anime-side of things:

First:
"Outlaw Star" is shadowrun IN SPACE:
You have some people. A guy with a magic gun and mad bounty-hunting skills, a tech genius kid, a sexy bio-android build for some nebulous reasons, a melee-ki adept running around in traditional clothes using a wooden training sword. A ultra-strong cat-girl who can transform into a tiger-like form and an quantum AI in a spaceship (which has arms and wrestles other ships). They follow a main plot, but do bodyguard/thievery/treasure hunting/bounty hunting on the side (or participate in a race or galactic MMA-championship). Some of their main antagonists is a taoistic space-pirate association using MAGIC, cyborgs, weird aliens (like a mind-controlling cactus bend on world domination... out of an ice-cream stand) or some dude and his android...brother?

Totally awesome.

In the same vein we have the
"Coyote Ragtime Show" - again in space... this time with less magic, though.
Just one short season. But it is very focused on this "one last job". They do some training, legwork. And some underground organization hunts them with 12 cyborg-girls in maid-outfits. All while the LAW tries to catch their leader. "Mister" who just broke out of jail 10 days prior to release... so he can get the timing of their job right.

"Gungrave" is great for the "organized crime"-angle and adds in, in the last episodes (and the first one), some biomonsters and enhanced humans. But there is not really "a team" and multiple small jobs or something. But it is great for advice on having "youngsters on the street" work their way up in an organization.

"Cowboy Bebop" has to be named too (again IN SPACE)... but it is not like there is anybody who still hasn't watched it. (If there is: State your name and location, so THEY can hunt you down, thanks). Same as Ghost in the shell, which just lacks the magic to TOTALLY and UTTERLY be Shadowrun... just on the Law- side of things.

And for Pirates in modern times: No augmentation and magic, but lots of style and despair we have:
"Black Lagoon" - trying to get along with multiple organizations. Doing odd jobs like smuggling, treasure hunting and pirating. We have a Sarariman getting out of the corp to experience real freedom. A girl who lived on the street until she learned to just shoot anything which is problem (and found that she is REALLY good at it). Big, black Leader and the tech-wiz. And they have a BOAT.

And if you have watched that, this follows.
"Lost Universe" (yeah you know: IN SPACE)
But you have them doing odd jobs, psionic powers. Augmentation. LASERSWORDS (ok, it is i think a psi-blade... whatever *g*) AI's.
But like the end of Outlaw Star its end is a bit epic.

There is a lot more. Some movies in the 80's had some magical/technical dystopia... i just can't remember their names, though. One could try Wicked City. It has dark, dystopian feeling and MONSTERS from another dimension. But it's not a series.

I am done for now *g*.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 2 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Outlaw Star was win. It's a shame that:
1) The fan-service episode is rarely aired on US channels because it actually has plot.
2) It ended and that was it. Main quest complete, now what?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Oct 2 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #16

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Oct 2 2010, 12:16 PM) *
Sixth season probably means hitting the magic 65 episodes, which allows syndication, and therefore long-term opportunities.

Authorities side suggestions:

Flashpoint: police tactical squad - no magic, but lots of tech/internet/planning/adapting
The Border: smuggling, terrorists, internet

Other side:

Human Target: runner team except for magic

+Quote Post
Fikealox
post Oct 3 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 19,064

Caprica has some Shadowrun elements, to my mind.

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Oct 3 2010, 02:34 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Y'know, I own the dvd's and had never realized it, but yes, Outlaw Star is Shadowrun in space. I'ld say Gene is a Gunslinger Adept, Suzuka is a more traditional Physad, Aisha is a shapeshifter (likely adept as well), Jim is a hacker/rigger and Mel is.... prototype the group has to protect!

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Oct 3 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,843

QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Oct 2 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Y'know, I own the dvd's and had never realized it, but yes, Outlaw Star is Shadowrun in space. I'ld say Gene is a Gunslinger Adept, Suzuka is a more traditional Physad, Aisha is a shapeshifter (likely adept as well), Jim is a hacker/rigger and Mel is.... prototype the group has to protect!

They even have their own AI^^

Adding to the anime list (since they tend to do the SR thing more often):

Karas
Witch Hunter Robin
Black Cat
Get Backers

Without magic:
Black Lagoon
Lupin III
City Hunter
DSA
Solty Rei
Gunnm
Burst Angel

lots more that I'm drawing a blank on at the moment^^

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 3 2010, 03:55 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Outlaw Star is fun, but I would stay away from Angel Links (different characters, same universe), which takes forever to get going, and overall is not nearly as good.

Noir is good, although like a lot of anime, you have mundane, unaugmented humans who do things that would make the most tweaked sammie or multi-initiate adept stare in awe.

+Quote Post
Fabe
post Oct 3 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,050

QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 2 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Outlaw Star is fun, but I would stay away from Angel Links (different characters, same universe), which takes forever to get going, and overall is not nearly as good.

Noir is good, although like a lot of anime, you have mundane, unaugmented humans who do things that would make the most tweaked sammie or multi-initiate adept stare in awe.

You mean like Kirika shooting though a bullet hole in a wall to kill the two guys on the other side?

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Oct 3 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

I mentioned it in the movies thread, but since it's both 2 movies and a 7 season TV show, I'll say it again: Trailer Park Boys.

They're the stupidest shadowrun team ever, and if you statted them out they'd be below average unagmented humans in every respect, with no skills at all except maybe growing pot. I love that show.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Oct 3 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Oct 2 2010, 06:11 PM) *
Burn Notice – shows just how useful a loyalty 6 contact really is.

The old series from back then when SR was young are nice, too. Like Magnum PI or Simon & Simon. - Ah, and don't forget Knight Rider. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Oct 4 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Jericho - evil corporation ends up cutting the USA into little shreds and effectively owning one of them.

Black Lagoon and Leverage are my main inspirations though.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Oct 4 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

Afro Samurai - futuristic, including cyber ware, but with anachronisms like swords.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.