Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UCAS Military Timeline?
Socinus
post Oct 2 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

I'm trying to track down a timeline of conflicts that the UCAS would be involved in.

I have a character whose background is as a Marine Corps Scout-Sniper but I cant seem to find any real timeline of wars or conflicts the UCAS would have been involved in for his service record. Is anyone aware of anything like this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malbur
post Oct 2 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 19,075

From what I can find, there's limited information on them online. From what I can determine, The most recent fronts that the UCAS military took part in were the New Revolution (failed) Coup. If your character is old enough, you might be able to say you took part in setting up or maintaining the Chicago Containment Zone. One thing you might want to do is say youhave run shadow campaigns that did not get publicity... Either that or talk to your GM and try to discuss one of the conflicts the UCAS may have had that you partook in. Hell its possible that your character served in a peace time and thats why he joined shadowrunning, to get some excitement after boring military service?

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Oct 3 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

or.... Desert Wars!!!

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Oct 3 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I would say that possible tours of duty would be:
* Sioux Boarder Guard. Neither the Sioux or the UCAS like each other and as such it is the most heavenly patrolled boarder in North America (with may the exception of the Tir boarder).
* Chicago. Probably your best bet for a sniper as this was the largest conflict the UCAS was involved in since the Great Ghost Dance War (which was technically the Canadian Forces and US Army that participated in that war).
* Seattle. This is the Western jewel of the UCAS and they want to protect their assets (mainly because they need to maintain a western port or lose out on trade with the 7 Dragons).
* Denver. This tour of duty would mainly be for infantry and spies. While Ghostwalker did shake things up a lot when he arrived, it was mainly the CAS that saw action, not the UCAS.
* CAS Boarder Guard. While the UCAS and CAS parted very similar to the Czech Republic and Slovakia, this doesn't mean both side still don't keep an eye on each other. Most of the boarder guard would be specialized police that deal with smuggling between the two countries. I would use the current relationship between Canada and the USA as an analogy to this boarder.

As for your character I would say there is one of two options on your past service:
* You did a tour in Chicago where you perfected your sniper skills
* You were part of the failed coup and that is why your a SR now (had to go SINless or face court martial)

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Oct 3 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

QUOTE (Kliko @ Oct 3 2010, 05:16 AM) *
or.... Desert Wars!!!

Oh desert war the justification for so many evil evil things lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 3 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Not likely for a sniper, but also a UCAS Military Operation, the Seattle Renraku Arcology "Incident".

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Oct 3 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #7

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 3 2010, 04:48 PM) *
Not likely for a sniper, but also a UCAS Military Operation, the Seattle Renraku Arcology "Incident".

IDK arcologies are big. If not in a sinper roll as a DM.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Oct 3 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #8

Dumorimasoddaa

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 3 2010, 04:48 PM) *

IDK arcologies are big. If not in a sinper roll as a DM.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Oct 3 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

Wow, this thread is designed to answer the exact question I had a few months back. Excellent.

+Quote Post
Malbur
post Oct 3 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 19,075

QUOTE (Neurosis @ Oct 3 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Wow, this thread is designed to answer the exact question I had a few months back. Excellent.

So... what solution did you come up with?

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Oct 4 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

On paper, the UCAS military hasn't done much. There's tours in Denver with the ZDF, the Seattle Metroplex Guard, and border guarding on the Sioux and CAS borders. The Sioux border isn't as quiet as the CAS - the CAS is having far too much fun keeping the Azzies occupied.

Fortunately, you're rolling a sniper! Make something up. Maybe you've got a CIA handler who needs some black bag ops done down near Amazonia. Maybe it was some work out in the Canton Confederation. Maybe the Phillipines. You're already a deniable asset, so have some fun with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 4 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

If you're going the Spook Angle, there's also the Rebellion in the Yucatan. I'm sure everyone with a bone to pick with the Azzies (Both the Country and the Corp) was in on that deal.

And, frankly, you're better off listing countries and organizations that aren't pissed off with the Azzies. It'd be much shorter.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Oct 4 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 4 2010, 03:52 PM) *
If you're going the Spook Angle, there's also the Rebellion in the Yucatan. I'm sure everyone with a bone to pick with the Azzies (Both the Country and the Corp) was in on that deal.

And, frankly, you're better off listing countries and organizations that aren't pissed off with the Azzies. It'd be much shorter.

The...Ute?

Wait, they don't exist anymore.

Uhh...Aaaaaaasamundo.

Wait, they aren't recognized by the UN.

Guys, this is hard!

+Quote Post
sabs
post Oct 4 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Would now be a bad time to mention that the USMC went CAS? and not UCAS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Oct 4 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Dumorimasoddaa

QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 4 2010, 08:06 PM) *
Would now be a bad time to mention that the USMC went CAS? and not UCAS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No. Also I'm assuming what's left of Canida marines went to the UCAS. Though TBH Candia wasn't much when it joined and it joined the for the CAS spilt.

http://shadowhelix.de/images/0/08/Animatio...ka_englisch.gif as this shows.

Something must have been set up however Seattle is a Port city and while navaly infenty might curently be loosing favour in this climate they still will always have A role.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Oct 4 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

You know being an egotistical American i never even considered that he might be talking about the Canadian Marines.

I just assumed he was talking about the USMC at Paris Island.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Oct 4 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Not according to the Marines that got Stranded in the CFS--they said they were part of the United States up until the 2050's. Everyone else betrayed their oath.

Not sure what happened to them though--by this point I think most of them died of old age. The youngest one would be in his late 50's.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Oct 4 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

and I did a quick search.
Canada doesn't seem to have a Marine Corps.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Oct 4 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 4 2010, 09:29 PM) *

Their light infantry seems to make do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

One of their sniper teams has had the distinction of holding the world record (now 2nd place) for longest kill-shot distance at 2.43 kilometers.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Oct 4 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #20

Dumorimasoddaa

QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 4 2010, 09:29 PM) *

Of any type? I know they have maritime counter-terror in the special forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Commando_Regiment has some info on a purposed unit in 2006 as well as some info on regiments in the canidan army trainign with the USMC and the Austrailan Navy.

Any way why USMC? Why not just regual army. More need for snipers in a land based force anyway as scouts and such.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Oct 4 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

I'm not dissing Canada's military (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I was more pointing out that UCAS probably doesn't HAVE a Marine Corp. So He should switch his character backgroudn to UCAS Airborne, or he should switch to being from CAS.

CAS has seen /a ton/ of combat and a CAS MC Sniper would have seen combat in Texas, and in the Caribbean League.

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Oct 4 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,877

QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 4 2010, 11:06 AM) *

While it is true that the II MEF bases (Lejeune, Cherry Point and New River) are all in CAS territory, all the I MEF bases were in California and III MEF is in Japan/Okinawa.

I don't think it's ever been said the Marines all went CAS. Especially since up until Seattle 2072 inexplicably decided to alter the canon, the Ares rep for Seattle, Karen King, was listed as former UCAS Marines. UCAS Marines had also been referred to in other sourcebooks and novels dating all the way back to Silver Angel. So they definitely exist. Though, one would have to decide which bases they would have been moved to after the UCAS pulled them out of Southern California for as the maguffin to explain how Aztlan took over San Diego.

It does say a battalion of Marines stayed at 29 Palms to become the Desert Rats (why, I don't know. No real Marine I know would ever voluntarily stay in that shithole, haha), so I guess you could say elements of 7th Marine Regiment stuck around with whatever assets from 1st Tanks, 3/11 artillery and 3rd LAR got left behind. Interestingly enough it says they have "air power" except no squadrons were stationed at China Lake or 29 Palms unless units were shifted from Yuma when it became NAN or they came from Miramar or Pendleton in the wake of the pullout. 29 Palms does have an airfield.

Seattle would have seemed like an ideal place to put a Marine base, but the only thing I've ever seen listed was the Metroplex Guard.

One thing to remember about Marines is that they are deployed primarily overseas. A Marine could have been anywhere you can conceive UCAS involvement. The current US has the largest navy in the world, and the second largest navy in the world in mothballs, lol. So despite their weakened states, the UCAS and CAS should still have formidable navies and probably still have the desire to power project. Plus, Marines have traditionally been the guards for American embassies around the world. Snipers are employed as counter-snipers in many hostile environments, which could include embassies.

Canada doesn't have a Marine Corps, btw.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Oct 4 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

But the CAS background info says that when it Seceded, Paris Island and the Marine Corp seceded with them.

I think it's one of those things where the fluffs disagree with each other.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Oct 4 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #24

Dumorimasoddaa

All I can say is that the UCAS marine obv whern't in california what with the lakc of military responce that cause the CFS to form if it had standing troops there it wouldn't have happened that way. Also new bases can be made. So we no know that the UCAS was freaking dumb with the CFS issues or the marine corp is based drasticaly diffrently than today in SR history.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Oct 4 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 4 2010, 08:51 PM) *
But the CAS background info says that when it Seceded, Paris Island and the Marine Corp seceded with them.

I think it's one of those things where the fluffs disagree with each other.

They would've split the bases based on territory, and likely let the Corps soldiers themselves volunteer which direction they wanted to go. Scout Sniper School for USMC is in Quantico, after all.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.