> Adept hacker in action?
hobgoblin
post Oct 8 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3p8YGKwB2U

also, i am for some reason reminded of the hacker that showed up in one episode of cowboy bebop...
(using two "keyboards" on his hip to disable the lights in a arcade)

or perhaps it was in the movie...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Oct 8 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Yeah, the movie. He was the hacker who treated life like a video game and got offed by his psycho-terrorist partner.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Oct 9 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

Back when we were crunching numbers from Unwired we put forward and adept hacker build that just used old mouse key board style. Never actually VRing in. Which has some distinct advantages and disadvantages. But the concept of having an adept hit the Attack key faster then someone could think amused us a lot. I don't think its a truly viable build but, it is an amusing concept.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Oct 9 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #4

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

So THAT's what a commlink, built so a Task Spirit can possess and operate it, looks like...

-k

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Oct 9 2010, 06:09 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Marcus @ Oct 8 2010, 11:04 PM) *
Back when we were crunching numbers from Unwired we put forward and adept hacker build that just used old mouse key board style. Never actually VRing in. Which has some distinct advantages and disadvantages. But the concept of having an adept hit the Attack key faster then someone could think amused us a lot. I don't think its a truly viable build but, it is an amusing concept.

Actually I've played one, albeit not with a couple of the abilities you used for your build. Mine was a Mystic Adept that used the Increase Reflexes spell and just so happened to hack, as he was actually build to be a fairly good fencer. He ended up hacking just fine though, and ARed the whole time.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Oct 9 2010, 06:29 AM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Yes one thing that they really screwed up with the attempt to make the matrix more ubiquitous in fourth edition is it is now more or less pointless to have a datajack or use full VR. There are some marginal benefits but they are completely outwieghed by the increased vulnerability. I would really like to see the next iteration of SR speed VR and other speed of thought hacking way back up as opposed to meat world abilities.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Oct 9 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Don't you use your personal reaction to dodge in AR.. I think so, yeah?

I know that, with a R6 chip, R6 Response Enhancer and a Customized interface all hooked into your link, you've got 13 dice to dodge in Cybercombat, even before factoring in the +2 for hotsim, if you consider dodging in cybercombat to be a Matrix test...

AR hackers can't really hang with 15 dice on casual defense. That's not even mentioning the 5 IP 20+ initiative kind of madness that a max-level wirehead can run on. Naturally, the consequence of Cybercombat for an AR hacker is merely inconvenience compared to the hotsim VR hacker's consequence of death.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 9 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

That, and going cybercombat in any case is a invite for the node to attempt a disconnect unless the admin feels like having the IC trace the attacker.

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Oct 10 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,876

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 9 2010, 01:01 PM) *
That, and going cybercombat in any case is a invite for the node to attempt a disconnect unless the admin feels like having the IC trace the attacker.

I'd really like to see some sort of viability added to combat hacking. As it stands it's a lot easier to just flicker the node's wireless than it is to actually engage somebody in cybercombat.

+Quote Post
Lordskulls
post Oct 12 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Target

Group: New Member Probation
Member No.: 19,108

i dont know i allways saw it as once i could run a control program on that node it does what i want.....hard to flicker it if you dont have that program running anymore.....there is a viability to it as it stands but it is a pain to get done......and it should be noted that many types of nodes cant be taken off line for this or that reason (trafic controls for example), and what do you think happens if the node in controll of your cyberarm stops reciveing signals? and you'll deserve it, cause your the one that flickered your link. least thats how i run my games.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.