Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would happen if?, An interesting 16-20 years
Pollux710
post Oct 10 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,424

Ok, so, I'm a bit of a dreamer and I like to come up with my own content when it comes to GMing games, going a bit beyond canon just to advance a little. Basically in my SR campaign setting a new player on the Corporate structure has arisen, called the Trophy Conglomerate, headed by a great western Wyrm, Parallax. Said dragon has muscled several A and AA corps into a larger AAA corp that in essence has stronger financial and infrastructure assets than any corp in the Big Ten. Along with that, during the course of time, economic hardships have pressured several balkanized nations to form together, resulting in a large consolidation of border regions such as the North American Federation, which includes several NAN entities, UCAS and CAS, and CalFree, as well as other European and Asian confederacies as well. As such, I would like to throw out a call of ideas on how the Corporate Court would react to this kind of socio-political evolution. What do you guys think would happen?

I see the NAF being seen as a major threat by nations such as Atzlan, which opens up a whole treasure trove of runs for sedition and acts of violence and espionnage. On top of that, as the larger nations and alliances become more powerful, major government industries will begin taking shape again (Law Enforcement, Infrastructure, Military) and I could guess that statutes such as Corporate extraterritoriality would come under attack from legislative and judicial bodies such as the Senate and Supreme Court.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Oct 10 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

1) Corporate Court issues an Omega Order for the NAF.
2) Large-scale war, escalating to nuclear exchange
3) Massive human dieback
4) ???
5) PROFIT! (Or possibly extinction. Either way, fun times are had by all.)

+Quote Post
ProfGast
post Oct 10 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,081

QUOTE (Pollux710 @ Oct 9 2010, 03:33 PM) *
Said dragon has muscled several A and AA corps into a larger AAA corp that in essence has stronger financial and infrastructure assets than any corp in the Big Ten.

For one, the big Ten would probably not stand for that sort of thing. Least of all someone like Lofwyr, who is quite content in being the wealthiest individual around, thank you very much. If it were to happen, I think the most likely outcome would be to have the various megas forming alliances and checks in order to keep Trophy from gaining way too much power. After all, United we stand, Divided we fall.
Along with that, during the course of time, economic hardships have pressured several balkanized nations to form together, resulting in a large consolidation of border regions such as the North American Federation, which includes several NAN entities, UCAS and CAS, and CalFree, as well as other European and Asian confederacies as well.

A neat idea but I don't quite get how it works quite. How would 'economic hardships' cause groups to unite? That would just lump more hardships under one umbrella and make it even more difficult to handle. Sure they'd pool resources, but they'd also pool problems.

I see the NAF being seen as a major threat by nations such as Atzlan, which opens up a whole treasure trove of runs for sedition and acts of violence and espionnage. On top of that, as the larger nations and alliances become more powerful, major government industries will begin taking shape again (Law Enforcement, Infrastructure, Military) and I could guess that statutes such as Corporate extraterritoriality would come under attack from legislative and judicial bodies such as the Senate and Supreme Court.

Larger Nation means more resources true, but in the SR world all goods, consumer, military, scientific, is currently in the hands of the Megacorps. You physically cannot establish a successful law enforcement infrastructure or military force without the Megacorps getting wind. With the advent of an 11th superpower megacorporation, this would be even less likely since they'd also want a piece of the pot. The newly established governments would have to somehow seize or otherwise obtain manufacturing and technological infrastructure that already existed in order to boost themselves upwards, otherwise they just become a bloated, overgrown giant grasping at straws.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 10 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Pollux710 @ Oct 9 2010, 09:33 PM) *
several A and AA corps into a larger AAA corp that in essence has stronger financial and infrastructure assets than any corp in the Big Ten

This is the part I don't understand. Given that all AAA corps have a huge number of A and AA corps as subsidiaries, I don't see how it is possible for several A and AA corps to be able to band together and magically be superior to any of the Big Ten. That's like saying 'if all the computer repair places in my city band together, they'll be bigger than Microsoft.' Okay, maybe not quite that extreme, but close.

And even for a dragon, that is some serious muscling to be able to so strongly influence a bunch of AA corps.

+Quote Post
Pollux710
post Oct 10 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,424

Well this is just stuff I'm kicking around. The premise behind Trophy is something similar to Ares, though spread out through quite a few A and AA corps that when finally combined under one corporate umbrella you get a AAA capable corporation with a noticeable edge on the Big Ten. Nothing major, but an edge is an edge. The premise behind the NAF and other emerging nations is pooling resources and issues while making an attempt to cut down on border disputes, constitutent unrest, and fiscal irregularities that come from international trading. Obviously not everyone is going to like this and there is going to be a sense of upheaval. That is pretty much what I'm looking for to start a sense of espionnage and "spy game" style of Shadowrun. I'm also a sucker for "taking the power back" and the hidden theme behind all of this is the Trophy conglomerate is behind the emerging political nations to cause an upset in the corporate court. I know, I know big things for little Shadowrunners but, the game at least, is planned to be long term.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 10 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

See, I don't have a problem envisioning the A and AA joining up to be almost even with AAA, but I don't see them becoming bigger than the others, since the others have tons of A and AA corps under them. They might be bigger than the AAA on its own, but not bigger than the AAA + all the stuff that is under them.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Oct 10 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (ProfGast @ Oct 10 2010, 03:27 AM) *
A neat idea but I don't quite get how it works quite. How would 'economic hardships' cause groups to unite? That would just lump more hardships under one umbrella and make it even more difficult to handle. Sure they'd pool resources, but they'd also pool problems.
But isn't this what the U.S.A. and Canada did to form the UCAS?

+Quote Post
ProfGast
post Oct 11 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,081

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 10 2010, 09:21 AM) *
But isn't this what the U.S.A. and Canada did to form the UCAS?
I suppose it does kinda say that in the corebook. I didn't really buy it there either...
However I'd like to point out it's in reference to the immediate aftermath of the crash of '29. Furthermore I'd like to make the argument that having TWO established (or what's left of them) powers consolidate might make some sense, Fastjack say something about bolstering, cutting down red tape, and diplomacy snafus (the last of which being the only one I really buy). Having CAS (which seceded), UCAS, and the NANs unite (given the NAN made war to be separate) just is a bit out there if it's only for "Economic hardships." You'd need something as spectacular as the Matrix crash to spur it on in any case, even with a great dragon pulling the strings.

+Quote Post
Acme
post Oct 11 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,866

Yeah, a lot of this sounds like you're trying to undo a lot of the history that's been established. I'd almost say that economic hardships would cause more balkanization. Yes, the Ute went into Pueblo due to a economy going in the toilet, but that's just because the PCC got greedy and now it's dealing with the fallout of taking over both LA and the Ute while trying to keep out Aztech at the same time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.