IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to pronounce Shiawase, Renraku and Fuchi ?
silva
post Oct 11 2010, 03:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,968

So? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 11 2010, 03:20 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

...those strike me as three of the easiest things to pronounce. I feel like I must be missing a joke or something.

"Shee-uh-was," "Wren-rah-coo," "Foo-chee."

+Quote Post
silva
post Oct 11 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

As a portuguese speaking, I always found it difficult to say "Shiawase" - sometimes I think its Shee-uh-was, othertimes I think its Shee-uh-wuh-s".

My doubt in Renraku is the tonic/strong syllabe. (-ra- or -ku- ? ). Fuchi the same (Fu or shi ? ).

+Quote Post
Aku
post Oct 11 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #4

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 10 2010, 10:20 PM) *
...those strike me as three of the easiest things to pronounce. I feel like I must be missing a joke or something.

"Shee-uh-was," "Wren-rah-coo," "Foo-chee."

I always thought it was more like Shia-wah-zee

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Oct 11 2010, 04:01 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I'd say to my ear it sounds a tiny bit more like a "zay" than a "zee," or just plain ending in an S or Z, but it's awful close either way-- by American standards the last vowel sound sort of cuts off like a lot of French words do. It's tough to spell phonetically mostly because the whole word rather blends together more than a romanized spelling usually implies to those of us who aren't language experts. It throws me off even more when I hear it in context-- Native Japanese speakers talk faster than I'm capable of really keeping up with, so by my reckoning the last syllable often runs smack dab into the next word they're saying.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 11 2010, 04:15 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

They are all fairly easy.

Shea-wa-say
Shea kind of like "she's a" without the 's. Wa as in wall. Say as in "I am saying something."
Ren-ra-ku
Ren as in the name Ren, or as in the bird, wren. Ra as in the sun god of Egypt. Ku as in coup.
Fu-chi
Fu as in Kung-fu. Chi as in "Chi: the spiritual energy"

I don't know anything about strong/tonic, but from context, I'm thinking ku. The 'ku' is pronounced a bit more notably than the 'ra'. You would say renraKU more than renRAku. But in general they should all be pronounced equally. As for Fuchi, it is almost said as a single syllable, and once again, you don't have emphasis on either one. You don't say FUchi or fuCHI, it is just fuchi. here you can find a sound bite of 'fuji' which sounds almost exactly like 'fuchi' and is pronounced the same way.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 11 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 10 2010, 11:01 PM) *
I'd say to my ear it sounds a tiny bit more like a "zay" than a "zee," or just plain ending in an S or Z, but it's awful close either way-- by American standards the last vowel sound sort of cuts off like a lot of French words do. It's tough to spell phonetically mostly because the whole word rather blends together more than a romanized spelling usually implies to those of us who aren't language experts. It throws me off even more when I hear it in context-- Native Japanese speakers talk faster than I'm capable of really keeping up with, so by my reckoning the last syllable often runs smack dab into the next word they're saying.

It should have an 'a' sound at the end. The rominaztion doesn't do too bad of a job, the problem is that most people don't know how to read at it properly. It is the characters Shi-a-wa-se, and generally each character is a syllable of its own. The only real oddity is that the se is pronounced with a hard 'a' sound at the end, like the word 'say'. Oh, and shi should be pronounced like 'she', though I think most people get that.

So my previous shea-wa-say could also be she-a-wa-say, but it would sound a bit odd (basically a foreign accent) to give the 'a' a full syllable, it tends to get rolled up into the 'she' part.

Edit: I do agree though, Japanese speakers really seem to jam their words together. It is even reflected in their writing, they don't have spaces O.o

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Oct 11 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #8

Runner

Yeah, I often here it in the context of "shiawase na." That really gums up my ears, especially if it's used in a song-- if there's a culture out there that refuses to play it fast and loose with pronunciation for the sake of a pop song, I haven't heard of 'em yet.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 11 2010, 04:51 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Since when does Japanese have punctuation?

+Quote Post
ProfGast
post Oct 11 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,081

Japanese has punctuation! As well as suggested pauses at certain words
A thing to note when trying to pronounce Japanese words is that every syllable is either a single vowel sound, or a vowel sound with a consonant sound BEFORE it. The only exception really is the "-n" sound.
THEREFORE
"Shii-ah-wah-sei" -- Means happiness
"Reh-n-rah-kuu" -- Means Communication
"Fuu-chii" -- Word emphasis more on the Fuu, not on the chii

Note: Whenever I double a vowel, I'm suggesting that you pronounce the vowel's sound. Except for I. That is pronounced similar to "E". Actually a good rule of thumb is romanized japanese vowels have the same pronounciation as Spanish vowels. instead of English's "Ay" "Ee" "Ai" "Oh" "Ewe" Spanish gives it "Ah" "Eh" "Ee" "Oh" "Oo"
Yeah, I often here it in the context of "shiawase na." That really gums up my ears, especially if it's used in a song-- if there's a culture out there that refuses to play it fast and loose with pronunciation for the sake of a pop song, I haven't heard of 'em yet

Hey that just means if you can understand a pop song in a different language, you are now fairly capable!

+Quote Post
silva
post Oct 11 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (ProfGast @ Oct 11 2010, 02:34 PM) *
THEREFORE
"Reh-n-rah-kuu" -- Means Communication
"Fuu-chii" -- Word emphasis more on the Fuu, not on the chii

Great! Thats what I wanted to know.

Thanks professor.

+Quote Post
Rayzorblades
post Oct 17 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,542

I always pronounced them Shy-uh-wace like the "wais" from the word "waist". And Ren-rack-oo and Fuu-chii. Granted I first started pronouncing these when I was like 10 and didn't understand world languages outside of English, French, and Spanish and old habits die hard.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 18 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Sooo...yukatas and beer?

+Quote Post
silva
post Oct 18 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

By the way, I think Katanas are pronouced.. Kah-tah-NAH (the last syllabe is the strongest).

And I think the same goes to MitsuhaMA (last syllae is strongest).

Can someone with japanese knowledge confirm?

+Quote Post
ProfGast
post Oct 18 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (silva @ Oct 18 2010, 04:42 AM) *
By the way, I think Katanas are pronouced.. Kah-tah-NAH (the last syllabe is the strongest).

probably closer to "KAH-tah-nah"
QUOTE (silva @ Oct 18 2010, 04:42 AM) *
And I think the same goes to MitsuhaMA (last syllae is strongest).

No real emphasis on this word here. "MII-tsu-HAH-mah" if anything.

Fun fact, the term "katana" being used to refer to any given japanese sword is much more of a western adoption than anything else. I believe the term is derived specifically from the japanese sword type "uchigatana" which refers to a specific design. The Kanji for katana simply means "blade" or "sword", same character for the chinese broadsword (dao. For the less specific words referring to japanese blades, the word "ken" (simply meaning sword) or "nihon-to" (Japanese sword) are used.

+Quote Post
TheScrivener
post Oct 18 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,993

While the proper Japanese pronunciations are useful, I think the "street level" pronunciations, especially in other countries and by people who speak little to no Japanese, would vary significantly (as shown by the different ideas of folks on this thread!) I'd imagine runners in Seattle or CalFree, what with the heavy Japanacorp presence, would pronounce Renraku or Shiawase different from those in, say, the CAS. There's a lot of real world examples of this. For instance, the Korean car maker Hyundai is pronounced [hjəndɛ] by native speakers but [h​ʌndeɪ] by most Americans. Plus, Americans love their complex accent structures, with secondary and even tertiary stresses on different syllables in multisyllabic words. ren-ra-ku may be the way the Japanese pronounce it, you may know that, but if you're an English speaker it's much more likely you pronounce it ren-RA-ku, or more rarely REN-ra-ku if you want to sound a little more authentic. Just my .02 nuyen...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 18 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

What? No one has mentioned that "Fuchi" is pronounced "Novatech" or "NeoNet" yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
TheScrivener
post Oct 18 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Nice catch Ray.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 18 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (TheScrivener @ Oct 18 2010, 11:04 AM) *
While the proper Japanese pronunciations are useful, I think the "street level" pronunciations, especially in other countries and by people who speak little to no Japanese, would vary significantly (as shown by the different ideas of folks on this thread!) I'd imagine runners in Seattle or CalFree, what with the heavy Japanacorp presence, would pronounce Renraku or Shiawase different from those in, say, the CAS. There's a lot of real world examples of this. For instance, the Korean car maker Hyundai is pronounced [hjəndɛ] by native speakers but [h​ʌndeɪ] by most Americans. Plus, Americans love their complex accent structures, with secondary and even tertiary stresses on different syllables in multisyllabic words. ren-ra-ku may be the way the Japanese pronounce it, you may know that, but if you're an English speaker it's much more likely you pronounce it ren-RA-ku, or more rarely REN-ra-ku if you want to sound a little more authentic. Just my .02 nuyen...

But it is also nice to know how they would be pronounced. I'm sure that any ads for example would have the correct pronunciation.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 18 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (ProfGast @ Oct 11 2010, 01:34 PM) *

Not quite. 幸せ certainly does, but Shiawase the company is named after the founder (presumably 幸福), and so it doesn't really "mean" anything.

Edit: also, why did you make the initial shi and final se long? They shouldn't be.

~J

+Quote Post
TheScrivener
post Oct 18 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 18 2010, 11:26 AM) *
But it is also nice to know how they would be pronounced. I'm sure that any ads for example would have the correct pronunciation.

Oh totally; not trying to bash the subject of the post at all. Just wanted to add another layer to the discussion; the way an SR icon like Renraku's name is pronounced by different NPCs could give more information about their background and so forth.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 18 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 18 2010, 01:53 PM) *
Not quite. 幸せ certainly does, but Shiawase the company is named after the founder (presumably 幸福), and so it doesn't really "mean" anything.

Edit: also, why did you make the initial shi and final se long? They shouldn't be.

~J

Indeed. Many Japanese names are like this. They 'mean' something, but they aren't really taken to mean anything. Yamamoto is a very common example. It 'means' mountain, but you don't really take it to mean anything when you are talking to Mr. Yamamoto.

And yeah, I agree, you wouldn't extend the shi or the se. Could just be a communication problem. It is a big problem in English that pronunciation is very difficult to communicate in writing.

Go Ghoti!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 18 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Many names have meaning, period. It's just that we don't put much into those meanings any longer.

I mean, look at how many people out there are named "Smith" and have never touched an anvil?

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Oct 18 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #24

Runner

Yeah, you're not really thinking "God's Favored, this is Defender of Men" when you're introducing John to Alex these days.

+Quote Post
ProfGast
post Oct 18 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (TheScrivener @ Oct 18 2010, 08:06 AM) *
Oh totally; not trying to bash the subject of the post at all. Just wanted to add another layer to the discussion; the way an SR icon like Renraku's name is pronounced by different NPCs could give more information about their background and so forth.

I'd like to point out that in the examples above I'm not in fact using the Romaji phoenetics for the japanese words. I am instead writing them using standard english with examples on why I used ii and such following the examples. I COULD have used Romaji but answering "how do you pronounce 'Shiawase'" by replying "shi-a-wa-se" is kinda a jerk or smartass thing to do. Rendering it in the appropriate kana would be even worse. Especially since read phoenetically with english "shi" could sound similar to "ship" (minus p) instead of sounding like "sheep" (minus the p). Even in english, there are locales which says the second word very similar to the first one. So, instead of trying to explain the entirety of the way japanese is pronounced, I simply made a few key notes on how I would represent them, and how I thought it would be more easily understood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Also yes, I admit to only reading theromaji for meanings behind the company names. Sorry, dropped the ball there.

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 18 2010, 11:45 AM) *
Yeah, you're not really thinking "God's Favored, this is Defender of Men" when you're introducing John to Alex these days.

Maybe YOU'RE not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.