Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stacking bonus dice
PoliteMan
post Oct 20 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,889

I was reading through the Skills rules and they said the skill has an augmented max of 1.5 that the skill bonuses can't exceed. This confused me because some things obviously exceed this limit, like Olfactory Booster, while others seem to obey it, like vision enhancement. How do I tell which ones obey this limit and which don't?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Oct 20 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Oct 20 2010, 07:16 AM) *
I was reading through the Skills rules and they said the skill has an augmented max of 1.5 that the skill bonuses can't exceed. This confused me because some things obviously exceed this limit, like Olfactory Booster, while others seem to obey it, like vision enhancement. How do I tell which ones obey this limit and which don't?

Only thinks that count against augmented skill cap are those that directly raise the skill in question:
Adept power improved ability
Reflex recorders
Few qualities in Runners Companion

Everythink else is a dicepool modifier and thus isn't affected by that cap.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 20 2010, 05:31 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It makes you wonder why they bothered with the augmented cap, when it's barely used. They might as well have just written the rule into the Adept power only. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Oct 20 2010, 05:31 AM
Post #4

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

It helps to realize that bonuses to skills come in two main varieties:

Skill boosts, and bonus dice.

Skill boosts actually raise the skill rating. There are very few of these, actually. These are subject to the 1.5 modified rating limit. This is stuff like the Adept Power "Increased Ability".

Most other skill "adjustments" are Dice Pool Modifiers and actually just add bonus dice to the roll. These are not considered part of the skill rating and have no limit, - unless the GM is also using the optional Dice Caps rule, which limits the total dice rolled in a given test to either double the natural attribute + skill rating, or 20, whichever is higher.

Both Olfactory Booster and Vision Enhancement are Dice Pool Modifiers, by the way, not Skill modifiers.

-k

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Oct 20 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

And also the Dodge bonus on Move-By-Wire.

But that's about the long and short of it.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 20 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #6

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 20 2010, 07:31 AM) *
It makes you wonder why they bothered with the augmented cap, when it's barely used. They might as well have just written the rule into the Adept power only. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Especially since the limit is stated there as well.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Fringe
post Oct 20 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,170

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 20 2010, 12:31 AM) *

My guess is just to maintain symmetry with the attribute augmentation cap, with the idea that the same level of relative coolness should be represented by the same number, whether skill or attribute. For example, a 3 is considered "average" (attribute) or "competent" (skill), whereas a 6 is considered unaugmented human max in either.

As others have said, most of the skill augmentations are actually dice pool modifiers. Here I think the emphasis is on having the right tool for the right job (getting a DP bonus to a particular skill under particular circumstances) versus overall augmentation (as is the case with most attribute-modifying things).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.