Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College
sgtbarnes_ky
post Oct 29 2010, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,766

I have a player requesting to go to Med School in my game, I did some online checking and the University of Washington has a medical program. They also wanna go to school on an athletics scholorship, and try their luck at several acedemic scholorships. I had then make 3 intuition+logic tests for taking the ACT. One for each portion of the test, I also allowed Edge to be used on one of those rolls. I then had them make logic+charisma+intuition tests for the acedemic scholorships.

For the athletic scholorships I had then roll seperate body+strength tests and the agility+reaction tests, then made them do a gymnastic+agility+reaction for the gymnastic team and an Athletics+strength+agility test for basketball, I also allowed the use of edge on one of the last two rolls

Does this seem like a fair way to decide if they can get into college and get scholorships both acedemic and athletic, and what would be a fair target number of success to make?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 29 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

*shrugs* Sounds like an okay way to do it, I guess. It might've been easier (and more fun for the rest of the group) to just get the hacker involved, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
sgtbarnes_ky
post Oct 29 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #3

Target

Thought about using the group hacker to make it easier but I would think for college addmission, plus the ACT and scholorships that it should be legitimate. Hacking addmission just sounds cheap, I really wanted them to earn the right to go to med school. Besides you cant hack an athletic scholorship, just gotta be able to play. I also added the Day Job Flaw, and I migth add the Fame Quality depending how the athletic scholorship plays out.

Another question is the NCAA still around and for that matter are the confrences still around. Is there a PAC-10 anymore? I hope the SEC is still around, GO BIG BLUE, would the NCAA still be around in the Sixth World? How does one handle college athletics, if the Seahawks/Mariners are still around that means some form of the NFL and MLB survived, so why not the NCAA

+Quote Post
Kid Chameleon
post Oct 29 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,315

Medical School is a graduate level institution, it would be unlikely that an athlete would still have much eligibility after completing their undergraduate degree if the NCAA program is anything like our own. In addition med school is a lot of work on it's own, it would be brutal to do while competing. But, if it works for your game....

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 29 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Just take the appropriate Positive Quality and be done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Shadowrunners today, oy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
sgtbarnes_ky
post Oct 29 2010, 02:48 AM
Post #6

Target

Well the initial 4 yrs is the undergrad work then med school, which UW offers, I checked their website. As for the athletic scholorship it would only cover the first 4yrs of school basically getting them their undergrad degree, aftr that NCAA eligibility kicks in. I was just curious to see if the Dumpshock Gurus felt that the way i did it was fair. Hopefully the PAC-10 is still there to compete in.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Oct 29 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Don't forget the Colledge Education/Technical School perks from unwired. Definitely make those available for your player to pay for with karma.

+Quote Post
sgtbarnes_ky
post Oct 29 2010, 03:05 AM
Post #8

Target

ah, good call i had not though of that, need to ddi out the Runner's Compainion to check for any other possible flaws/qualities. But for RP sake just paying Karma seems to easy, I wanna feel they earned the rigth to be in school and get an quality education. I know I busted my butt for my scholorship. Being a student athlete is hard but I have friends how played sports in school it is doable, and if you watch cllege sports there are plenty of acedemic allstars with tough degrees and they pull it off. It also adds a nice touch to the game, cant run tonight, have to study, or gotta go outta time for a big game. It also adds a nice cover for runs to though as it gets you into places having to go from campus to campus for games and such

+Quote Post
Method
post Oct 29 2010, 04:11 AM
Post #9

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

As a graduate of the UW School of Medicine I can tell you that there are lots of scholarships, but none of them are athletic. You aren't really allowed to participate in intercollegiate sports, because you can't really miss class to travel with a team and your schedule doesn't allow for practice once you start your clerkships. Lots of people have military scholarships tho, and quite a few of my classmates had athletic scholarships during their undergrad years.

However, thats all kind of irrelevant. If your player wants that to be his character's background, then you should just make up a story that fits and go with it. I think the way you handled was fine, but as others have pointed out there is already a mechanic that covers education prior to character gen, which is the appropriate Quality.

Edit: Oh and to get into medical school you need to take the MCAT (and get at least a 30, generally speaking, to get an interview at UW). The ACT doesn't really apply because its used in undergraduate admissions and just about everyone in medical school has completed an undergraduate degree already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 29 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #10

Freelance Elf

It was my understanding the character was trying to get into Undergrad, and then medical school, hence the ACT issues, the scholarship variety, etc, etc.

+Quote Post
Method
post Oct 29 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #11

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

That could be. I assumed this was all in the character's background, but if the character is actually in college thats a different matter. Day Job seems like an appropriate quality for such a case.

+Quote Post
sgtbarnes_ky
post Oct 29 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #12

Target

Method, thanks great info, beats the Website, your campus looks great by they way. Yeah I figure Med-school itself wouldn't allow for an athletic scholorship, I was using that to get the character enrolled into UW as an undergrad, then after the 4yrs are up, having then either pay out of pocket or perhaps endenture themselves to a Corp. I'm having the PC pay the 10 Karma for in game purposes for the college education quality, but I still wanted to have a mechanic in place to make it a little better than just paying Karma and some nuyen. Make the roleplaying aspect seem more natural, also it gives me more opportunities later to use it against then, muhahahaha. Method again thanks for the info on UW.

Again I'll ask does anyone know if the NCAA is still around. Looking at how the major confrences are setup a lot of schools are in either the UCAS or CAS. the big exceptions are the school in the Denver area, NAN and Cal Free. Would the Universities in the NAN still be part off the NCAA, or what about Cal Free, and poor U of Arizona behind the line in Aztalan. How would college sports survive in the sixth world. Pro sports seem intact in some form. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are still around, interesting question. Does anyone know for sure,

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 29 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #13

Freelance Elf

College sports still exist, certainly (heck, I know it's mentioned a few even have Urban Brawl teams), but I don't recall anything even in Shadowbeat going into tremendous detail about collegiate athletics. I'm sure that the splintering of the nation caused some shuffling around of titles (just like the pro football, baseball, etc, franchises have all been broken into different groups), and likely several years of such athletics being "on hold" or whatever, but there's no reason to believe that such tournaments, championships, and teams don't still exist as much or as little as you want them to in your game.

I'm not sure if anyone went into college sports in Attitude or not, but I know there's not much about it -- other than the official mention of Urban Brawl teams at some universities, which to me at least heavily implies that other athletics are also still going strong -- in Shadowbeat, which is the only existing book I can think of that would have reason to say anything official.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Oct 29 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

Is that character and adept and what sort of 'ware has he installed ? If he's got anything that's not sport-legal, it may bar him the entry depending on what sort of sports he's planning to apply for.

There's also the problem that illegal stuff is likely to be spotted sooner or later during medical exams and the like.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Oct 29 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

What is up with your game?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 29 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Neurosis @ Oct 29 2010, 01:21 AM) *
What is up with your game?

What, like this is the strangest question the forums have ever gotten?

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Oct 29 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

Maybe the strangest since I joined. I'm kind of a n00b. (Of the forums. Been GMing Shadowrun for around a decade and a half.)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 29 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Honestly, I don't think any of the rolls in the OP are really necessary. The GM and players are telling a specific story, and it's not really the time for the dice to decide if they get to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But that's just a comment, seeing as (a) you already did it, (b) you're already happy with it. Good luck with the game!

WRT sports, isn't everything blitzball and deathrow and basewars2000 by now? Steroids mandatory, here's your machine gun? If not, I want my money back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Oct 29 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

If this would be a cool story, then roll with it. But doing both college athlete and medical school is rather tough, so I'd tell the player to find solutions to the following problems:
- Time management (Maybe get a sleep regulator implant? Learning stimulus nanites?)
- Passing the required tests (either buy Knowledge skills, cheat, or something else..)
- Not getting in trouble for "unsportsmanlike" powers, implants and activities
- Not getting into trouble for accidentally telling people about your shadowrunning side business while drunk and playing truth or dare (No, wait. Shadowrunners playing truth or dare with ordinary students can never end well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ), and generally avoiding the suspicions of your fellow students (who tend to be clever, competitive and jealous of success that seems to come too easily...)

It could be hilarious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Oct 29 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Oct 29 2010, 10:53 AM) *
- Not getting into trouble for accidentally telling people about your shadowrunning side business while drunk and playing truth or dare (No, wait. Shadowrunners playing truth or dare with ordinary students can never end well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ), and generally avoiding the suspicions of your fellow students (who tend to be clever, competitive and jealous of success that seems to come too easily...)

It could be hilarious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Or playing "I've never"...

"I never shot a man in the face for money"
-Runner takes a sip

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Oct 29 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

As a jaguar shapeshifter working as a spy for the Amazonian government, my cover puts me as a student of the Washington University. I'm learning Veterinary and Agronomics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , I have the negative quality Day Job (4h/day) to simulate the hours at classes and the money goes as full scolarship.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.