Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyber Lower Limbs, Attribute Effect?
klinktastic
post Oct 29 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,442

So I know this is obvious for full cyber arms/legs, you lose you meet scores and replace them with 3/3/3 for the limb (excluding customization). However, what happens to the attributes for lower limb replacement? Does that 3/3/3 still come into effect? Or do you retain your meat scores?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Oct 29 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Well, Skywalker retained his Force powers through his bionic hand, so...

...Honestly, I'd go with player's ability scores on it. I'd hate to have to put together a chart for when forearm strength comes into play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Oct 29 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

At my table, we case-by-cased it; actions that require lots of manual dexterity in the fingers and wrist, like lockpicking, would use the limb scores. Although there are some good reasons for and against it, we also decided to allow the cyberlimb attributes with pistols.

The easiest (and most medically sound) solution is to make the player get limbs at the same stats as his meat body. This should make the limb feel closer to 'normal' for him, and keep your group from having to track different attribute pools. I doubt it will be very popular, since the whole point of cyber is to exceed human limits, but it does neatly solve the problem. Lots of cool things a cyberhand can do besides pool boosts.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Oct 29 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Ok, that all makes a lot of sense. Since the upper arm is really where the most of everything is is anyway, except fine manipulation, it sounds good. Now that seems like a very good way to add some nifty gizmos and armor to a cyber sam. Lower arm has 10 capacity, thats good for some armor plus a radar, orientation system, and a built in spur. Lower legs give you 15, meaning you can add some armor, plus add skates, jacks, skimmers, or any other things you can think of. Damn, so like 16k each lower leg, you can get armor 3, h. jacks 4, and skates. That's pretty nice. Easy way to stack armor.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Oct 30 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

Sounds like you've got some great ideas! One tip from my table: don't overlook the humble Nanohive. (Augmentation, pg. 112) It takes a ton of essence if you mount one in your meat, but for some reason a nanohive in a limb just takes a little capacity. Stock up on anti-tox, anti-disease, anti-nanotech and you still have room for brain boosts and immunity to suffocation/drowning.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Oct 30 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 30 2010, 03:31 AM) *
Sounds like you've got some great ideas! One tip from my table: don't overlook the humble Nanohive. (Augmentation, pg. 112) It takes a ton of essence if you mount one in your meat, but for some reason a nanohive in a limb just takes a little capacity. Stock up on anti-tox, anti-disease, anti-nanotech and you still have room for brain boosts and immunity to suffocation/drowning.

The nano hives in cyberlimbs is one think where the rules really fail.
The hive should always cost the non scaling part of the essence cost(IMO), as that cost represents changes to the character internal organs.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 30 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Partial limbs generally affect your stats for any tests significantly involving those partial limbs.

+Quote Post
Knight Saber
post Oct 30 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,720

QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 29 2010, 05:44 PM) *
The nano hives in cyberlimbs is one think where the rules really fail.
The hive should always cost the non scaling part of the essence cost(IMO), as that cost represents changes to the character internal organs.

From the description of the Nanohive modifying your internal organs, I had the impression it could only be installed with capacity in a cybertorso... that'd make more sense than having it installed in, say, a cyberhand, but RAW says just "cyberlimb."

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 30 2010, 04:34 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

The nanohive doesn't modify anything, and it really only has to fit anywhere your blood goes. The organs are modified as part of the installation process, to make your body 'nanite-friendly'. I agree that this should be a nominal, unavoidable Essence cost; I also think that the Capacity of the hive could be bumped up slightly. It is odd that it can *fit* in a hand.

In fact, the 'nanite-friendly' treatment should be a wholly separate augmentation, *required* for a nanohive, that slightly increases the duration of nanite treatments in even hive-less users. This would make the most sense, and give another little option.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Oct 30 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (klinktastic @ Oct 29 2010, 04:27 PM) *
So I know this is obvious for full cyber arms/legs, you lose you meet scores and replace them with 3/3/3 for the limb (excluding customization). However, what happens to the attributes for lower limb replacement? Does that 3/3/3 still come into effect? Or do you retain your meat scores?

Its the same .The Base Attributes are 3/3/3
You need customized Cyberlimbs and pay for raised Attributes to match the meatbody

Hough!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Oct 30 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Oct 30 2010, 12:15 AM) *
Its the same .The Base Attributes are 3/3/3
You need customized Cyberlimbs and pay for raised Attributes to match the meatbody

Hough!
Medicineman

Your assessment makes sense, but that would also make cyber hands and cyber lower arms completely useless then. Also, then you have to start averaging you limbs to make firearms checks. So lower cyber limb has agility 3, but meat score is 5, then your average arm is 4. That seems a little ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 30 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

Nope. Instead of ridiculous, it's exactly how it works.

Typically, partial limbs only affect tests that specifically use them, and remember that it works both ways: if a player is claiming his Agi 9 cyberhand counts for shooting, then it should also hurt in the same kind of situations. In some cases, you don't even average: the book example is using just the hand's Strength for a 'gripping' test.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Oct 31 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Your assessment makes sense, but that would also make cyber hands and cyber lower arms completely useless then
Why do they become useless ? .With enough ¥ they can even raise the average Attribute without any Karma, additional Armor,Gimmicks(build in Nanohive,Comlink,Recoilcompensation)

So lower cyber limb has agility 3, but meat score is 5, then your average arm is 4. That seems a little ridiculous.
I don't see anything ridicoulus either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hough!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Oct 31 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Well honestly I just made up what I figured the ruling would be. But I cannot actually find any rules to verify that that is the case. So if you had a lower arm with agility 8, but meat of 2, you'd be at 4 average for the limb. However if you shoot a gun, you get an 8. Is that limited to just pistols and other one handed weapons? What about an assault rifle? Are you at a 3 then? Average right arm is 4 and left arm is 2, so 3. Since it's technically a two handed gun. But you're shooting with your agile hand, is it an 8 or a 3. I just don't think they made the rules very clear. Sounds like its in the realm of house rules to me.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 1 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Only if the GM decides that shooting a gun doesn't involve the rest of your arm/body.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Nov 1 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 31 2010, 09:18 PM) *
Only if the GM decides that shooting a gun doesn't involve the rest of your arm/body.

That's my point. It's ill-defined. So they are either very useful or extremely worthless, depending on the GM's interpretation. That was the point of this post. To figure out of there was anything I was missing. Obviously not.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 1 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

Or, moderately useful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Every possible situation is not clearly laid out, no, but the area of interpretation is not huge. As with basically everything, find out what the GM is going with before you make big plans.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Nov 1 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (klinktastic @ Oct 30 2010, 07:06 AM) *
Your assessment makes sense, but that would also make cyber hands and cyber lower arms completely useless then. Also, then you have to start averaging you limbs to make firearms checks. So lower cyber limb has agility 3, but meat score is 5, then your average arm is 4. That seems a little ridiculous.

I don't see the issue here. For a couple thousand more nuyen, you could customize the lower cyberarm (rules for customization are in Arsenal; it doesn't use up any capacity, but caps out at racial unaugmented max), increasing the agility to 5 and getting rid of the problem. If you don't want to spend the 2k, well, that penalty is what you get for attaching cheap off-the-shelf hardware to your not-off-the-shelf self.

It's possible with genetweaking and... whatever it is that costs 20BP and increases your stat max, to get a human's cyberlimb stat up to 8 without burning a single point of capacity. Good times there.

+Quote Post
TheScrivener
post Nov 1 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,993

Exceptional Attribute. Customization rules are in SR4A now, too. They also bump the Availability by 1 per point, though, so if you're adding +3 to three different stats it's twelve grand and +8 to avail, putting some limbs above 12 Avail.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Nov 1 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Yeah, and you're talking about investing a lot of BPs just to get a pimped out cyber lower arm. At that point, just go for full arm, its cheaper. Yeah, it seems that they either dominate or suck, but really have no middle ground as it relates to GM intrepration.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 1 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #21

Advocatus Diaboli

Maybe you're getting it after chargen, for example. Maybe you want someplace for your nanohive and other gadgets, or your character concept really depends on fingertip darts or cyberweapon. Options can exist just for the sake of having options. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Nov 3 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 98

Kid Stealth legs with skates and jacks installed can make a serious difference in how a character handles, too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.