Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Earthdawn, what the flock was there?
Snow_Fox
post Nov 1 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

I've been playing SR since 1st ed came out but never player Earthdawn. I know SR and earthdawn have now been seperated but back in the days of FASA one was the precouror to the other. The last mana peak.

But other than that what the flock happened? As I understand it the dragons were out and about and made the drakes and elves to be their servants. the elves rebelled and broke free and had orks as their servasnts. The Horrors came and ripped everyone up. Is that right?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Nov 1 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Pretty much. Basically magic flourished, I mean everybody did some magic to a degree or another. They called it Disciplines, but I think of the ones that are not spellcasting as very defined Adepts. The mana field grew too much, allowing the Horrors in, and they destroyed, ate, and corrupted damn near everything.

There was the Theran Empire, who compiled some mojo that should have safe guarded the people in underground cities, called kaers. Unfortunately the Horrors sometimes got in. The Dragons were fairly tight lipped during the whole thing, but then again, when aren't they?

There was blood magic, and it wasn't necessarily evil, though there were evil applications. There was even some implants, of sorts. Magic crystal eyes to help targeting enemies at range, or to see at night. I think there was even a crystal arm, which could be attached in place of a missing one, or as a new 3rd one altogether.

There was also a pantheon of sorts, called the Passions. The mysterious figure in the opening fiction of "Harlequin's Back" is one, I think. And obviously, H. and others are alluded to in various SR books here and there, and the "secret" of immortal elves is present in SR, though I don't think it's mentioned too much in SR4. Or not as much, anyway.

For me, the world is wondefully established, but the system is pretty much unplayable. Considering the scale of attribute generation, which gives you your Step number, which gives you a dice combination to roll, meh. Throw in the sliding scale for TN's, being classified in things that are simple to epically difficult, and then those are applied across categories for the particular competence, ranging from Commoners to well seasoned veterans who have forgotten more than there is actually known abotu the subject, you need to have a Masters in all sorts of mathematics to try and keep up with it.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 1 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

ED is not that hard to understand. You want hard to understand, try the original edition of Mage: The Ascension or The Immortals. Both games' systems designers (different games from different companies at that) need to be taken out back and beaten. Absolutely horrid gaming systems.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 1 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

<short version>

Mana levels go up and down. When the mana levels rise high enough, Horrors enter our plane and eat/torture everyone.

Somewhere during the 3rd world, people figured this out, and began building Kaers. Those are basically multi-generation nuclear shelters. Eventually, the Horrors, came, saw, ate, and as mana dropped, most of them left again.

Then came the 4th world. People crawled back out of their Kaers; magic is still so powerful nearly everyone uses it, but there aren't many Horrors still around. This is the Earthdawn world.

Magic drops further, and pretty much disappears. Fantasy races disappear back into the generic human genome. This is the 5th world.

Magic rises again, fantasy races come back, 6th world, Shadowrun time.

The Immortal Elves and the (great) dragons are survivors of the 4th world or earlier.

</short version>

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 1 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Nov 1 2010, 01:56 PM) *
I've been playing SR since 1st ed came out but never player Earthdawn. I know SR and earthdawn have now been seperated but back in the days of FASA one was the precouror to the other. The last mana peak.

But other than that what the flock happened? As I understand it the dragons were out and about and made the drakes and elves to be their servants. the elves rebelled and broke free and had orks as their servasnts. The Horrors came and ripped everyone up. Is that right?

A big thing was Icewing's experiements with Aardelia (sp?) and the Book of Blue Spirits. Dragon-kin (Immortal Elves) had the horrible flaw of being independent of their creators and Drakes have the horrible flaw of hibernating in the down cylce (like their masters). Icewing was using this girl as an experiment in a Metahuman/Drake hybrid -- a construct that would be both loyal and awake during the downcycle.

Unfortunately for Icewing the Therans got wind of this and were able to whisk the experiment away to Egypt. For some reason the gods of that land didn't allow Dragons to enter so they couldn't directly go and pull her out (Prelude to War). In LRG's Barsaive at War there is a story arc where the PCs grab her back and deliver her to Icewing. Redbrick hasn't explored past the Prelude to War storyline much yet.

An interesting thing that didn't make it into SR is that there is a human dynasty in Norther Barsaive that are scions of the great dragon Denairastas. So theoretically there should be some immortal humans running around as well unless your GM rules that they were all wiped out for breaking the "no breeding with metahumans" laws.

Those are the points that are most pertinent to SR. There's all sorts of other awesome in the setting but it is largely self-contained. Unless the CGL higher ups decide to go ahead with the "Thera returns to earth" storyline that they cooked up.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Nov 1 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

That would be funny.

As a Last Ditch Effort, the Therans do a massive ritual to send Thera out of Space and Time until the magic levels are high enough to support their way of life. The aftershock of the ritual leaves a giant crater where Thera used to be. (Explaining Homer's story of Atlantis).

Move forward to 2075. Thera reappears, and they're ready to resume their role as the world dominating super-power that they've always been. Hilarity ensues.

Flying Behemoths vs Thor Shots for the win!

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Nov 1 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

For those who have played Earthdawn I have a couple questions.

-Did the main non-human races equal the humans in numbers?
-Did all sentient beings have access to some form of magic as mentioned earlier in the thread?

If the answer to both questions is yes then what happened? In the sixth world non-human races are less than 10% of the population and those who can use magic are less than 1%.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Nov 1 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

The main non-human races mostly equaled humans in numbers. Arguably Orks out numbered everybody.

I would say that about 25% of the population could be Adepts. But a great number of people did in fact have access to magic, and certainly pretty much everyone had access to magic items. Also, Blood Charms were very common and could be powered by your life energy.

As for what happened?
They had a few thousand years of magical learning and development. We've had 40.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 1 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Nov 1 2010, 06:20 PM) *

-Did all sentient beings have access to some form of magic as mentioned earlier in the thread?

If the answer to both questions is yes then what happened? In the sixth world non-human races are less than 10% of the population and those who can use magic are less than 1%.

Hard to answer that first question. The main game is set in a province called Barsaive. The Throalites were the predominant ethnic group and were used by the Therans as administrators in the provincial bureaucracy. Throal is a dwarven kingdom. So dwarfs make up the biggest population in the province, followed closely by Orcs. IIRC, Humans are 3rd behind that but splintered into a few different ethnic groups. These demographics can change depending on whic province you are in however.

All Name-Givers had access to magic. This was basically any sentient being. So metahumans, dragons, and some horrors. Everyone was an Adept or Mystic Adept in Earthdawn. There were no Full Mages.

Human scholars had a theory in Earthdawn that during the downcycles everyone would revert to being human again. Of course, most of the non-human scholars took offense to that and called them silly.... In SR we know this to be true as exposed by UGE, Goblinization and SURGE.

Fun fact: Earthdawn was the name of the first airship that Throal launched after the Scourge. Her mission was to explore Barsaive post-scourge and make contact with other survivors. The ship made two voyages but never returned from the second. Throal actually sent the Earthdawn out before Thera was reopened and is one of several reasons why Barsaive has remained so independent of Thera.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Nov 1 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

Interesting. The reason I was asking about population and magical ability is that in the 6th world meta varients are rare and magical ability even rarer. This makes me ask if humanity (human and other) was looseing the ability? The fact that we have Surge effects from random remnent DNA code would seem to indicate a degredation of the strands in question. This then leads me to wonder if the Horrors or some one else may have tampered with things to make humanity more tractible. Just a thought for a metaplot.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Nov 1 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Remember we haven't even seen the T'Skrang yet. And The Pixies are barely Windlings (although ED4 windlings kinda suck now)

I think really its that we're not deeply enough into the Cycle yet.

Also Thera, for example, was predominantly Human and Elven in racial profile.

+Quote Post
Fauxknight
post Nov 1 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,814

QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 1 2010, 12:51 PM) *
All Name-Givers had access to magic. This was basically any sentient being. So metahumans, dragons, and some horrors. Everyone was an Adept or Mystic Adept in Earthdawn. There were no Full Mages.

I would like to make the distinction that all PCs are specifically gifted as adepts, but this was not the case for NPCs, they could be mundane.

All in all I like the system and it works smotthly at the lower circles (levels), it gets a little rougher as you go up and the options for the players become greater and greater, same for most level based games.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 1 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Nov 1 2010, 06:13 PM) *
Interesting. The reason I was asking about population and magical ability is that in the 6th world meta varients are rare and magical ability even rarer. This makes me ask if humanity (human and other) was looseing the ability? The fact that we have Surge effects from random remnent DNA code would seem to indicate a degredation of the strands in question. This then leads me to wonder if the Horrors or some one else may have tampered with things to make humanity more tractible. Just a thought for a metaplot.

Earthdawn took place towards the end of the magic cycle and someone or something was keeping the mana levels unnaturally propped up. Not everyone was an adept -- sorry I misunderstood your question. Paths in ED are called Disciplines and you only get recruited into one if you show an aptitude for that Discipline. That being said there was a far higher percentage of the population that was awakened.

@sabs: I could have sworn there was a brief mention of tribes of lizard like people in the Amazon basin. I could be making that up. There is a SURGEd obsidiman in Peru but it is doubtful he is a "true" obsidiman.

@Fauxknight: Spellcasters are the bane of high circles as is true for many fantasy games.

+Quote Post
Faelan
post Nov 1 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,466

I run a weekly Earthdawn game, and have run very high circle games in the past. Surprisingly while a Wizard can stuff a City in a Bottle (High Circle Ritual Spell), a Warrior can puree him. It is actually really well balanced between casters and non casters. Casting spells takes time, and the really powerful stuff often takes days to cast. It is very different from the various incarnations of Shadowrun as far as its internal balance is concerned.

+Quote Post
flowswithdrek
post Nov 1 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 3,837

QUOTE (jaellot @ Nov 1 2010, 02:15 PM) *
but the system is pretty much unplayable. Considering the scale of attribute generation, which gives you your Step number, which gives you a dice combination to roll, meh. Throw in the sliding scale for TN's, being classified in things that are simple to epically difficult, and then those are applied across categories for the particular competence, ranging from Commoners to well seasoned veterans who have forgotten more than there is actually known abotu the subject, you need to have a Masters in all sorts of mathematics to try and keep up with it.

I completely disagree with this statement it’s really no more difficult than Shadowrun. You purchase your attributes (sound familiar?) which in turn gives you a number (step). You purchase your skills/talents (sound familiar?) which gives you a number (step). Both numbers are added to give a final number to determine which combination of dice you roll for any given talent/skill. In Shadowrun the greater number of individual successes the better the result, in Earthdawn the larger the sum the dice rolls the better the result. Different but no more or less complicated

I have introduced many first time roleplayers to Earthdawn and most pick the basics up at the end of the first gaming session. In fact the trouble most first time gamers appear to have is telling the difference between the different sided dice.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 2 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

So most ED rolls are SR Initiative, basically?

+Quote Post
sabs
post Nov 2 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

yes, except that it's a usually something like d4+d6 or d10+d8 instead of a bunch of D6.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Nov 2 2010, 03:02 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Nov 1 2010, 11:02 AM) *
<short version>

Mana levels go up and down. When the mana levels rise high enough, Horrors enter our plane and eat/torture everyone.

Somewhere during the 3rd world, people figured this out, and began building Kaers. Those are basically multi-generation nuclear shelters. Eventually, the Horrors, came, saw, ate, and as mana dropped, most of them left again.

Then came the 4th world. People crawled back out of their Kaers; magic is still so powerful nearly everyone uses it, but there aren't many Horrors still around. This is the Earthdawn world.

Magic drops further, and pretty much disappears. Fantasy races disappear back into the generic human genome. This is the 5th world.

Magic rises again, fantasy races come back, 6th world, Shadowrun time.

The Immortal Elves and the (great) dragons are survivors of the 4th world or earlier.

</short version>

One mistake in the above. The kaers were built during the first half of the Fourth World while mana levels were rising. The horrors tortured and fed on everything not in a kaer during the middle of the Fourth World while mana was at its peak. Earthdawn is set during the second half of the Fourth World after the horrors have mostly gone, and the kaers have opened.

+Quote Post
Sesix
post Nov 2 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,498

Sooo, Fall Out magic style?

+Quote Post
etherial
post Nov 2 2010, 03:20 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,891

QUOTE (sabs @ Nov 1 2010, 12:26 PM) *
As a Last Ditch Effort, the Therans do a massive ritual to send Thera out of Space and Time until the magic levels are high enough to support their way of life. The aftershock of the ritual leaves a giant crater where Thera used to be. (Explaining Homer's story of Atlantis).

I think it's more likely that Thera exploded when there wasn't enough magic to support the floating invisible buildings and giant pillars of orichalcum.

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Nov 1 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Dwarves make up about 33% of the population of Barsaive, then elves, then humans. It has mostly to do with lifespan and their racial bonuses making their kingdoms slightly more resistant to Horror emanations. Ironically, Dwarves are the least frequently played PC race in my Earthdawn experience. It is generally quoted that about 5% of the population of Barsaive has the ability to become an Adept, and about 1% of Barsaive is an Adept.

+Quote Post
etherial
post Nov 2 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,891

QUOTE (Sesix @ Nov 1 2010, 11:14 PM) *
Sooo, Fall Out magic style?

Indeed, I generally describe it as Epic Pulp Post-Apocalyptic Horror Fantasy. Other than the Fantasy, each of these elements can easily be emphasized or de-emphasized by a good GM.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 2 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #22

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Also, the elves found out that Horrors can only harvest fear and agony if its created by the Horrors themselves, if something else caused a victim pain, the Horror would get no benefit.

So a bunch of elves decided to cast an epic magic spell that caused their bodies to erupt with thorns, creating a constant agonizing pain for all of them. As such the Horrors couldn't feed off that pain, so they left the elves alone.

The rest of the planet generally regards the elves of the Blood Wood to be sick puppies.

-k

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Nov 2 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 2 2010, 05:25 AM) *
Also, the elves found out that Horrors can only harvest fear and agony if its created by the Horrors themselves, if something else caused a victim pain, the Horror would get no benefit.

So a bunch of elves decided to cast an epic magic spell that caused their bodies to erupt with thorns, creating a constant agonizing pain for all of them. As such the Horrors couldn't feed off that pain, so they left the elves alone.

The rest of the planet generally regards the elves of the Blood Wood to be sick puppies.

-k

To be fair, they' didn't plan to do it, but rather had to jury-rig a plan B in a hurry when their Caer didn't turn out as horrorproof as it's designers had hoped. Though it seems that plan B has it's share (and possibly more) of side effects.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Nov 2 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

During the Age of Dragons, the dragons created the immortal elves as their servants. In Wyrmwood (Chernobyl), they rebelled against their master Alamais near the end of the age. The created the Elven Court of Wyrmwood and tried to rule the other Elven Kingdoms (in Ireland, Latvia...). During the following downcycles, the immortal elves hunted the sleeping dragons, killing several of them.
The great dragons then banned the creation of immortal metahuman servants, and dragons Icewing/Ghostwalker and Yuichotol created the drakes to replace them. The dragon Deneirastas got banned for ignoring the ban and creating his own immortal human servants.

During the Fourth Age, an elf scholar named Elianar Messias, banned from the Elven Court of Wyrmwood, found the Books of Harrows. Those warned about the coming of Horrors. The first, weaker one (wraiths) showed up shortly after to make the point. The group of scholars that translated and studied the Books of Harrows evolved over time into what would become the Theran Empire, thanks to their heavy magical knowledge.

The Theran Empire offered its colonies (and any country willing to comply) the techniques needed to build kaers, strongholds able to hold off the Horrors.
Queen Alachia of Wyrmwood ordered all Elven Kingdoms to refuse the Theran offer. Most ignored her order. Wyrmwood itself relied on its own knowledge to create a wooden kaers. As said above, it failed and forced the elves to turn to plan B with the Ritual of Thorns, earning the place its new name of Blood Wood.

Then, the Horrors start leaving the Earth, the kaers opens, and the Theran Empire starts conquering anew its colonies.

How it came to pass

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Nov 2 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Shadowrun, if all the conspiracies were true and the technology was stripped out and elves were even more aggravating and frolic-y.

QUOTE (sabs @ Nov 1 2010, 04:26 PM) *
That would be funny.

Move forward to 2075. Thera reappears, and they're ready to resume their role as the world dominating super-power that they've always been. Hilarity ensues.

Flying Behemoths vs Thor Shots for the win!

With Yakety Sax playing, of course.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.