Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 675 Karma Adept, Build critique and a legality question
Zyerne
post Nov 3 2010, 03:52 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,556

I'm about to start GMing a SR campaign and I've been looking at karmagen before we sit down and generate characters. I'm leaning towards 675 karma characters but before I make a final decision I've been running up a variety of characters to see how they turn out. I'm planning on using at least some of them as ongoing NPCs so they need to be viable.

One of the ones that really didn't turn out well in the BP system was an Elven PhysAd. The karmagen version has its own weakness (only 4 magic) but overall is a much better character, IMO. Please note, as this is an NPC, there are some placeholder karma values and adept powers and qualities haven't been done yet.

[ Spoiler ]

After I'd gotten this far I started wondering about that extra 75 karma for using the standard 750. One of the things that occured is by getting grade one group initiation and using the optional extra metamagic and powerpoint instead of meta optional rules, I could get Adept Centering and an additional 4 powerpoints. Is that legal?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 3 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

You can initiate during karmagen, but only if you check with your GM first. You may also save up to 5 points for use in play.

You can, however, snag an initiatory group to save karma on initiation in play. See street magic for details and restrictions, but it does cost 5 karma - plus you'll probably want them as a group contact.

Get specialties. They're -cheap- in karmagen.

What are your adept powers? I'm not sure what kind of adept you're playing, though its looking like a stabby one.

No martial arts qualities? For shame! No qualities at all? Go salt and pepper your character with flavor. Grab sensitive system and magic 5 while you're at it.

Drop one of Blades or Unarmed. You don't need two martial melee skills. Pick up dodge or gymnastics instead. Don't neglect your ranged defenses.

You're missing knowledge skills. they don't come for free in karmagen.

750 karmagen characters are balanced for 4A rules. It does make a difference.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Nov 3 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 12,442

Yeah, you've invested a lot of karma in weapon skills, but lack much in the way of other skills. Don't underestimate getting stealth, influence, outdoor, and electronics groups at 1 at least. Right now, your character will be very fun to play during the actual mission, but pretty boring and useless the rest of the time, which is about 80% of the game. Some stealth will allow you to be involved in the legwork portion as well.

+Quote Post
SleepIncarnate
post Nov 3 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,931

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 2 2010, 10:13 PM) *
You can initiate during karmagen, but only if you check with your GM first. You may also save up to 5 points for use in play.

He is the GM, this is an NPC he's making.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Nov 3 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 12,442

Then he's definitely going to want to shy away from tons of combat skills and give them some more realistic and practical skills.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 3 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Zyerne @ Nov 2 2010, 10:52 PM) *
One of the things that occured is by getting grade one group initiation

FYI, joining a group costs 5 karma, so if you're only doing the one initiation, it's not cheaper (spending 5 to save 2).

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 4 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 3 2010, 08:53 PM) *
FYI, joining a group costs 5 karma, so if you're only doing the one initiation, it's not cheaper (spending 5 to save 2).

However, by my understanding of the power point for metamagic optional rule, it's limited to group initiates only.

Addressing (some) of the other points raised -

As was noted, this is for an NPC, however, one of my criteria for my prime runner NPCs is that they be characters I'd be happy to play

Magic is at 4 as I ran out of karma for attributes (using German "errata". I could swap Reaction and Magic around.

There are no knowledge skills listed, but karma has been allocated. The comment about too many weapon skills has been noted however. I'll address that.

Power point allocation and qualities are on the list to do as well, got an Ork to finish first.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 4 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I can't even find the metamagic for PP optional rule right now at all. x..X

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 4 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

From the SM errata

“Adep. Initiation. Group. may consider allowing adepts to gain
1 Power Point instead of a Metamagic at Initiation.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.