IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Banishing Free Spirits, ...proton pack not included.
MikeKozar
post Nov 4 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,426

I'm working on my Maptools framework to automate most of the complex but predictable rules in SR4, and this week's button was Banish. Without getting technical, I have a one-click solution to banishing summoned spirits, but I can't find the number of "services" that a free spirit should start with. Any thoughts? I'm also interested in opinions on how to make free spirits interesting as adversaries.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 4 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Well, the rules say it has banishing resistance, which means it is treated as having services equal to unspent edge, which would usually be equal to their force.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 4 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #3

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 4 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Well, the rules say it has banishing resistance, which means it is treated as having services equal to unspent edge, which would usually be equal to their force.
Except our game Monday night, in which my Free Spirit PC with the Lucky Quality used all but one EDG by the end of the run-gone-wrong. I was waiting for some mage to come around the corner and go "booga-booga-booga".

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 4 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 4 2010, 04:28 PM) *
Except our game Monday night, in which my Free Spirit PC with the Lucky Quality used all but one EDG by the end of the run-gone-wrong. I was waiting for some mage to come around the corner and go "booga-booga-booga".

Sounds like time to metaplanar shortcut home.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 4 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

That was in the back of my mind, too.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Nov 4 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 4 2010, 10:05 PM) *

reading SM p106 "Born Free" tells me Free Spirits don't have Edge=Force. furthermore it's not forbidden for free spirits to gain karma and raise edge to whatever they can afford. the maximum = force applys only to PC FSs for balancing reasons. it might still be a reasonable value so.

back to the initial questions, his services are equal to unspent edge, which is somewhere between 0 and Force (or more if you want to)

FS as adversary: let him materialize behind the runners, attack in his surprise round and disappear again. do so until they become nerved and use astral security. Maybe the FS does so as a favor for some enemy of theirs in trade for some precious karma...

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 5 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

As an interesting side note, Banishing an Ally Spirit will result in the normal Test, including the resulting Drain, but Ally Spirits have infinite Services owed. For particular evil-ness, have an NPC mage with an Ally Spirit that he uses, and will only work properly if the mage in your party actually uses Banish and not "Banish" (mana bolt).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.