Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting caught
Zyerne
post Nov 5 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,556

I skipped 3rd ed, but in 2nd I remember a table of fines and other consequences for doing things you shouldn't. Haven't found anything similar in 4th. Is there anything? Or alternatively, can anyone remember where that table was?

I'm thinking in terms of getting caught with stuff mostly, the consequences of getting stopped with bone lacing, a cyberarm gyromount and an assault cannon should all be different, surely?

I guess this is one of those cases where it's left to the gm, I just don't have a point of reference to begin from.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Nov 5 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,916

This always bugged me a little bit too.
The core 4th ed says it's bad, but they leave the details vague.
How do you punish someone while leaving them playable?
You can't really stick a character in prison or execute them without ending that player's game.

I've been using the "hey, you're in prison...we'll let you out if you do something for us..." angle, but I'm not really happy with it.
You can always bust a character out of jail.

Massive fines in combination with a criminal SIN can stick a character in a tough spot.
I would be surprised to see a character left alive for the arrest and not simply shot on sight.

+Quote Post
Saint Hallow
post Nov 5 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,233

Doesn't Vice cover some examples of what kinds of punishments are done/available for certain illegal acts? I don't have my books with me...

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Nov 5 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

Getting caught in SR is kinda like character death in D&D. You need the threat of capture to enhance the drama, but GM's generally hope it doesn't happen often.

An unlicensed pistol or other 'Restricted' item should probably have the PCs get their fake SINs well-scanned and a non-nominal fine issued. Maybe a few grand or 2-5 times the value of the restricted item for a fine. The PC's would probably want to get a new fake SIN at that point too.

Realistically, any PC getting caught with any 'Forbidden' items should probably get hauled-into the local police-station, and get booked. That usually means they'd photograph you, get your biometrics, and do a though scan of whatever fake SIN you had, and probably create a criminal SIN (AKA 'SINer' quality) if your fake SIN didn't hold-up. All of which means some very bad stuff for a character.

I tend to reserve a full capture for when a PC does some very stupid stuff, or when everything they do fails via die-rolls. Even then I allow for plenty of outs, e.g. fast-talk, "The cop looks away for a minute, and you see the handcuff-keys on his belt....", etc. If the whole crew gets caught, it's time to either conjure-up some new PCs, or roll with it and RP-out a full prison breakout.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Nov 5 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

I really prefer not to play Shadowrun: Prison, Shadowrun: Parole could be mildly entertaining, but Shadowrun: Court of Law doesnt sound that fun.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Nov 5 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Well... a LOT of my normal cops are VERY bribeable (is that even a word?- no matter). The time to act is when they get to you. In "court" or prison/forced work it is pretty much to late (unless you are a world-renown genius in something... maybe THEN you are worth enough to get you out).

Of course if you already killed a cop, or get busted by a HTR-team or loyal goons of somebody... well, yeah your character is going down.

There has to be danger in my game. If you hand out "Get out of Prison" cards for 300 a piece like in Monopoly it's just boring.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Nov 5 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Nov 5 2010, 09:11 PM) *
I really prefer not to play Shadowrun: Prison, Shadowrun: Parole could be mildly entertaining, but Shadowrun: Court of Law doesnt sound that fun.

Shadowrun: Criminal Intent is the best of the lot.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Nov 5 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Nov 5 2010, 02:15 PM) *
There has to be danger in my game. If you hand out "Get out of Prison" cards for 300 a piece like in Monopoly it's just boring.

/agree

It's mostly a hope that your players have half a clue and know when to GTFO. That said, it's always a good bit of drama when Lone-Star or whoever manages to surround the PCs. Will they shoot their way out and risk getting labeled as cop-killers? Use gas-grenades? Get handcuffed and then bribe, fast-talk, or escape-artist their way out? Great fun can be had here.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 5 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

I'm thinking Shadowrun: Lets be a little less obvious about the machine gun next time, shall we?

Not the best example, as the typical response to a troll with a machine gun is either gonna be
"Shit, why the hell are we in the barrens again? Damn GPS" or "Full SWAT team, now." but hopefully the general idea comes through.

Cyberware is a different issue, but with the exception of a couple of items, most notably bonelacing, I think you pays yer money and takes your chances.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Nov 5 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Shadow-run the way I play it: Buying the Farm has never been cheaper.

Some things to keep in mind is the situation in which they got caught:

1. Corp Zero Zone: Dead...or cortex bomb/suicide mission.

2. Pistol/concealed carry/ minor weapon issue with a LEO:(You mean the player does not have a fake license?)Probably confiscation of the weapon and a fine of 500 nuyen. A sinless person would be arrested, and given a criminal SIN.

3. After a shootout with LEOs: Surviving PC's are going to be abused and more than likely quietly dissappear. All restricted cyber ware will be confiscated (possibly all of it).

4. Vice: Fine and short term prison stint.

5. Mages: A job offer off planet or more. Along with ritual samples. Failure to comply results in a loss of magic via surgical alteration (aka-brain dead, aka organ donor).

6. Techno's: Likely undetected, but may result in elective surgery (aka-brain dead, aka organ donor).

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Nov 5 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

I'm not really for punishing people for their Wares unless they decided to try to walk through a MAD scanner onto an airplane.

Similarly, I'm not really for punishing people for their magical abilities unless they cast a massive spell right in front of someone and get caught doing it.

Obviously if the police actually capture and arrest these people, they will be punished for both, regardless of what actually landed them in police custody.

You're literally talking about ripping all the illegal Ware out of your gunbunny player and putting them back on the street with a criminal SIN. Not fun unless you're a brilliant GM and the player is all for being reduced back to street level.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Nov 5 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

if busted, it's the right time to ask the right connection for a big favor. maybe it's the mafia consiglieri who can pull the strings or an ares exec if caught by knight errant. as everybody knows, you're entitled to that one phone call (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

that's the reason to invest 7-10BP in one connection

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 5 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

What happens if you get caught?

You get to cuddle with Bubba

At least, according to my CJ teacher (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 5 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Shadowrun: Special Victims Unit is what happens after Bubba the Love Troll.

+Quote Post
tagz
post Nov 5 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

On screening / scanning: Often times with extraterritoriality the local enforcement will just point to the door and say "We know what you got, now get out of here before there's trouble." to avoid a dangerous situation, paperwork, causing a scene, etc. Not on their prop, not their problem.

Course, there are always reasons for exceptions, like if the person in question looks like a pushover, the PC's character has treated them like a jerk / threatened them /carried out a threat / etc, or they think they can get a bribe, things like that might make them act a little differently.

+Quote Post
thezombiekat
post Nov 6 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 19,140

Playing third ed we usually flash ratting 6 fake ID showing ourselves as “security consultants” with licensees for everything we are carrying. The best portable ID scanner is rating 4 and most cop cars have rating 3. They might pay us some attention still but they cant arrest us.

In SR3 main book there is a legality table in the front of the equipment section, it lists penalties for position and trafficking of most goods and weapons. Also whether permits are available.

Of cause most cops finding a sinless person with an illegal weapon would not charge them at all, depending on the cops mood the least he would do is confiscate the weapon and levy an on the spot fine (same value as the real fine goes into his personal account, and he keeps the weapon to drop beside people he shot when he shouldn’t have).

Some examples of the SR3 table ‘local fines and punishment (seattle)’ page 274 SR3 core
Pistol, possession 500nuyen, transport 1500nuyen, threat 5000nuyen, use/intent 10000nuyen and 1year/2years
Heavy weapons position 10000nuyen, transport 20000nuyen anything more 20000 nuyen and 1/4/10 years
Small blade possession 100nuyen, transport 500nuyen, threat 1000nuyen, use 2000nuyen/2 months, intent 5000nuyen/6 months

Being awakened is legal (in most jurisdictions) knowing high force combat spells isn’t, the only way the authorities can know you have a illegal spell is to see you use it or read your mind so it doesn’t come up often

Remember if the character is sinless and the cop knows it he isn’t likely to see a trial or a cell. Cops in SR are allowed to shoot sinless people for the slightest provocation, if you get caught with a sack of contraband and no sin the cop will get a free lunch telling his mates how he saved the city the cost of a trial, ant it would be legal.

That said he doesn’t want you bleeding on his car so you get some opportunity to turn the tables on him.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 6 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Well, with some forewarning at CharGen, you could do it like this:

If you get caught, someone with Connections could tell LS/KE that you're actually working for [the CIA] and that they need to let you go, despite your Forbidden gear.

Failing that, someone with some sway could get them to let you go "on probation". You get a job and perhaps a cranial bomb. You probably keep your gear.

Alternatively, you can use money to get released, but the price goes up for any Forbidden gear. Implants may be confiscated.

Why is it important at CharGen? Non-attached F gear is replaceable or you could hide it. A clever lawyer could "prove" it isn't yours. Implanted F gear marks you as a criminal, and it'll cost you a LOT to keep them from removing it and giving you a substandard legal body part in return.

Personally I'd like to run campaigns in a more swashbuckler-like style, where getting or losing gear isn't quite such an issue. You find some, you lose some. You get captured from time to time, and when you escape, you use what you manage to steal or find. The emphasis laid a bit more on skill and "reasonable" implants than on gear; capture isn't character castration.

F-rated implants should mostly be a Company Man kind of thing, for sick dedicated bad guys. If you use that shit you're beyond the pale. Well, at least the scary F-implants; a hot sim module would just be confiscated with a wagging finger and a fine.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 6 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

That SR3 table sounds like the SR2 one I was thinking of and have just found in Shadowtech. It's not perfect for SR4 but it'll be useful none theless.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 6 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #19

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Personally, i think a lot of things are going to be issued as fines on the spot. Issue the citation, choose to plead or dispute on the spot, if you plead guilty, the cop issues the ticket and it gets auto paid.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 6 2010, 04:04 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Which is what the table in Shadowtech lists. I'm more likely to use the UCAS table than the Seattle one though, unless my players are dumb enough to run around with un(fake)licensed pistols and automatics.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 6 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (yesferatu @ Nov 5 2010, 08:45 PM) *
I've been using the "hey, you're in prison...we'll let you out if you do something for us..." angle, but I'm not really happy with it.
I don't like that solution either for law enforcement, be it corporate or otherwise.
You could however go the nikita route. Having a corrupt organization within various agencies. This however would toatlly change the focus of the game.

I always liked the line "row 8, plot 30" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 6 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Okay, how about this? The SINless are generally the dregs of society - people the State doesn't want to touch because they have nothing to offer the State. A good runner is a highly skilled individual, perhaps with some high-grade implants. They represent a big investment; value. The question that needs to be asked is: can the runner be controlled? If so, he's valuable property as a (black) asset to the State, or whatever agency or corporation wants to buy the runner. If not, best have the runner die in a prison accident.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 6 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

The way you deal with getting caught? Make them spend X on a really good lawyer that manages to get them off on technicalities.

Another option is to keep in mind the length of time trials take. Currently (USA) a trial is going to be on about a 2 year delay from the crime committed to actually appearing in full court. So have the players pay bail and either skip town or just run around free while they wait for the Judicial system to actually get around to them.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 6 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

This is all under the assumption that the runners a) have a real SIN or b) have a fake on that holds up to scrutiny.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 6 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

or c) are given a criminal SIN when they are captured.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.