Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minidrones and Wireless Scan, And riggers remote piloting the drone
AppliedCheese
post Nov 6 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,092

Alright, I had a question come up from one of my players during my last SR session. After about ten to fifteen minutes of discussion in the group, no one viewpoint had a definitive edge, so we went with the "GM says so" rule. Being a reasonable person, and not having much wireless knowledge beyond the books, I figured I would refer the topic to the community at large.

Situation is thus: Rigger is flying a fly spy drone into a GaiaFirst safehouse which is also an organic health food store. The rigger is in direct control-transmit mode. The fly is happily unobserved in the store area, and when an employee heads to the backroom, in goes the fly.

Now, being as this is an eco-terrorist safehouse, even if they're somewhat lowball, they have a very basic security package. Some cheap wards, and a cheap commlink hooked up to a very basic pilot program which scans for possible bugs etc, so that when they talk about their nefarious activities they have a little sens of safety.

The fly spy drone, still in direct-feed/control mode, begins observing the area and relaying what it sees back. The rigger then uses it it to deliberately identify employees, etc. This all takes about five or six minutes.

Using the EW (pilot) + scan rules, the security system rolls a scan-for-hidden test once a minute, against an extended threshold of 10 (lower than the 15 due to low human traffic and the fact that it can already pre-catalog the signatures of products and employees who are supposed to be there). Around the 5th minute, it beats the threshold, and the IC begin attempting to track the fly-node (which, in further review I played wrong...I gave the PC way too many bonuses and heads up for the track attempt). The rigger flies the fly to another pc, drops in his pocket, and then turns the fly off. The PC rapidly leaves the area.

The rigger was unpleasantly surprised by this, and wanted to know what good these mini and micro drones were for spying if they could be picked up by a cheap security system in 5 minutes. (And by RAW, that actually would have been 15 seconds)

Now, for the questions:

1) Are drones subject to scan for node checks? My initial answer is "yes, if they are transmitting or being directly transmitted to. If you want security, use limited-packet bursts. A.k.a you can issue new orders and collect data every now and again, but you can't receive or direct in 1:1 realtime. "

2) Is there any bonus for a smaller drone? My initial answer is "no, if the node is transmitting "loud" enough to be scanned, it can be scanned."

3) Would ECCM help the drone in any way? Initial answer is "no, it merely lets your burn through the ECM and prevent jamming, it doesn't help you hide."

4) Well, how can you actually hide a spy micro-drone then? Initial answer from my side was that you should probably try to put a stealth program on to disrupt the tracking, and that frankly, any real time wireless link is eventually going to be found when its mussing in an area that looks for such things. Use limited transmission, or put some sort of ID on the thing to make it look like it belongs.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Nov 6 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Seems all ok to me. And yes: Rigger and their drones can be found in many places. There is even a building/area setup especially designed to provide tacnet and scan everything for intruders. You did all right (which you wrote here).

And that is the reason why you have good agents/sprites in your drones running silent and only burst out a data package every minute or so.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 6 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

For one thing, there's no reason to track the drone. That's Trace User, and it's for following a connection back to the point of origin… and it's only accurate (for wireless) to like a 50 foot radius, IIRC?

There's no great reason to reduce the Threshold from 15 to 10. The book actually says 15+, meaning that it could be *harder* in a high traffic area, and that 15 is merely the minimum.

Upon detecting a hidden node (via full-area scan), you have no idea what it is, or where. At this point, you use Analyze Node (Matrix Perception test), which the drone can resist with Stealth; specifically, it'll be Computer + Analyze (slightly different for an Agent, which is what you describe) vs. Firewall + Stealth, and you can get one piece of info per net hit.

Presumably, one of those info-pieces might be 'is running a Pilot', although that's not one of the examples. At this point, you still don't get location info, but you can look into back-tracing the *rigger* via his control access (whether jumped in, RC, or just subscribed). Another option is to hack the drone, for various other purposes.

Now, a 'very basic commlink' running a 'very basic [Agent]' means only about Rating 1-2 to me, but maybe 3 (which is actually 'very median')? That's 3000+150+1250+800= 5200¥ (minimum, not at all unreasonable), to roll 6 dice. So, it'll take just 8-ish Combat Turns to find the Hidden drone node, and then it depends on how good the drone's FW+Stealth is. (I won't discuss TI-systems here, because they're expensive, but this is basically their raison d'être.)

Now, the Fly Spy is actually a Mini (not a Micro; I noticed you mentioned both), Pilot 3, Device Rating presumed 3. If the rigger just slapped in a Stealth 3, that's 6 dice vs. 6 dice for the Analyze, so it's a toss-up, and may take a while to get all the info desired. The rigger could also upgrade the Firewall (AFAIK, up to 6 freely), which would help. Using an Optimized Stealth 6 would help, too, and no expensive hardware 'wasted' on that little drone. If hacking the drone is an issue, the rigger can (IIRC) just slave the little guy back to himself, where his defenses should be badass.

Turning off and hiding is a great move, as well, but remember that the node's still there until the machine is actually off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) AFAIK, there's no real option in the game to 'burst transmit' or anything, except the hard way: the drone switches its wireless *off* until pre-set intervals to hear commands and relay info. A reasonable house rule could also allow 'listen-only' mode, but (again, AFAIK) that's not in the RAW.

Other ideas… possibly, the drone could use a Spoofed Access ID or a Spoof Chip to pretend to be an expected node. Remember that scanning for nodes is the same as the list on your Wifi connection: nothing but IDs until you Analyze closer. It doesn't say 'Fly Spy' or even 'drone', and really not even signal strength. I noticed you mentioned 'low human traffic', but the security scan would also pick up basically anything in range, which could possibly include people outside, and other 'false positives'.

You could set a data bomb on the drone's node, which would slow down or harm something that tries to connect (if you're not Slaving it).

On the other hand, don't forget about *visual* detection. A Fly Spy is 'the size of a large insect', which honestly isn't that small. You (or a camera connected to an Agent) might just notice that, if the rigger isn't smart about where he flies (and when). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If you spot a big bug (*and* a new hidden node?), then you can jump into action a bit faster.

+Quote Post
AppliedCheese
post Nov 6 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,092

So, to understand, that would basically go as follows:

Fly in shop.

Security pack scanning for nodes every 3 seconds goes to "detect node" with EW (pilot)+Scan. Eventually beats threshold. As said pack is only aiming in a certain area, the 50 feet wireless thing is already known. A new node is in the back-room, somewhere.

Goes to "analyze node", with opposed Computer(pilot) + Analyze vs hacking/firewall + stealth. Give or take 2-4 hits and the gig is probably up. The system now has the info to know to either back-track the fly to rigger or begin a hack attempt.

Back tracking then requires a trace attempt id and locate the rigger.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 6 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Sounds good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Don't forget that the Analyze phase can take a little bit (relatively speaking: it's Matrix-fast), before you even get to the 'trace/hack/do something' phase. Now, *that* part isn't easy by any means, and the rigger can probably be aware. I'd have to re-read the relevant rules.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 6 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (AppliedCheese @ Nov 6 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Goes to "analyze node", with opposed Computer(pilot) + Analyze vs hacking/firewall + stealth. Give or take 2-4 hits and the gig is probably up. The system now has the info to know to either back-track the fly to rigger or begin a hack attempt.

Back tracking then requires a trace attempt id and locate the rigger.

I'd also like to point out, at this time, when a foreign/hostile node is detected a few things probably happen:

1) an Alert goes off against the node, giving the system +4 firewall vs it if it tries to do anything
2) IC or a hacker is scrambled to check it out - see the nodes ARC, or make a reasonable one up.
3) With even a basic agent around, hacking AND tracing at the same time isn't unfeasable
4) Unwired has rules for spotting traces. If someone starts one, you basically get to test perception against their stealth to see if you spot it or not. Its a little more in depth than that, but that's the basic gist of it.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 6 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #7

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

All this is why a high firewall and stealth software is critical in a drone designed to, y'know, be stealthy.

I ruthenium polymer my FlySpys too, just for that little added extra.

Even better than wireless in certain situations is a laser link. Uses a non-visual spectrum, can't be picked up by wireless detectors, though you do need line of sight. I have my drones use their laser link whenever possible, and only drop back to wireless if they can't get a laser connection.

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 6 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

That helps, but I feel like my drones are rarely (never) in LOS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mayhem_2006
post Nov 7 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,943

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 6 2010, 10:35 PM) *
That helps, but I feel like my drones are rarely (never) in LOS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This is also why you buy your spy drones "non-standard wireless link" and directional antennae.

The former reduces detection thresholds by 1, the latter can give you the same working signal rating whilst reducing the actual signal rating by 2.

Or, you send a fibre-optic cable laying drone through the sewer utility pipes...

Basically, you'd have to be very naive to assume any bug doing real-time transmissions isn't going to be detected fairly quickly.

Better to have it fly in autonomously and record. If you need the data fast, have it record 30 second soundbites them send the signal in a short burst.

Or, hack your way into a device that's already present in the room...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 7 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 6 2010, 09:25 PM) *
If hacking the drone is an issue, the rigger can (IIRC) just slave the little guy back to himself, where his defenses should be badass.

This may work if the drone is within direct signal range of the rigger comlink, but i am unsure if slaving works across a matrix routed connection.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 7 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I think you handled the rules pretty well. It is hard to infiltrate with a drone using live connection. This is why having a higher Pilot and Fuzzy Logic is useful; the drone can operate in radio silence, giving fewer opportunities for detection.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 7 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm sure it does, hobgoblin. Slaving only means that the node forwards all connections to the Master; it uses a Subscription to do it, so there's your route. It won't stop detection, of course, just direct node-hacking.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Nov 7 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

One more thing to think about for those who actually use it is depleting dice pools on extended tests. A 6 DP with a threshold of 15 is highly unlikely to succeed.

-D

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 8 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (DMiller @ Nov 7 2010, 04:29 PM) *
One more thing to think about for those who actually use it is depleting dice pools on extended tests. A 6 DP with a threshold of 15 is highly unlikely to succeed.

-D

That's a really good point actually. No reason this test should be immune to the normal extended test rules

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 8 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, most Extended tests *should* be immune to this crippling used-to-be-optional rule, but that's another discussion.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 8 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #16

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 6 2010, 05:35 PM) *

Having extra invisible fly-spies to act as daisy-chain nodes helps.

Standard operating procedure for my current rigger: Three cloaked fly-spies in orbit above the character's head, in combat they elevate above any cover in the area to provide reliable relay points for the laser link.

Indoors they can position themselves at ceiling height in intersections to provide "around the corner" relay points.

The flyspies also as an additional bonus fill out my TacNet, making sure I keep the network bonus all the time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 8 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 8 2010, 10:50 AM) *
Well, most Extended tests *should* be immune to this crippling used-to-be-optional rule, but that's another discussion.

Personally I liked the old optional rule of limiting it to a number of tries equal to your skill (or was it just a set limit of 4?). I means you don't have the annoying decaying pool to worry about, but it also means you don't have 'anyone can do anything given enough time' syndrome.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 8 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Some things *should* be doable with enough time, and it was nice when they let the GM decide that. But this thread is probably concerned with the RAW, so DMiller is of course right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 8 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

It's true, something should be doable, but some things just require a certain level of skill (or at least a good helping of luck).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 8 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #20

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

and at that point it becomes a GM handwave...

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 8 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

True. I like the limited method with the GM having the option to remove it for something that should be eventually doable. A data search for example will eventually pull up something, even if you suck with it, but if you're bad with software, a highly complex program is simply going to be out of your reach unless you learn more about programming.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 8 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

I think a hidden node search is of the same category. It's not like the node is evading, it's just that it takes some time to thoroughly search the whole area/RF space. It's really for the GM to decide each case. That's why there is a GM, and it's not bad to rely on that. The book should lay out the categories, roughly 'if the Test is simply something that takes enough time, no depleting pool', and the GM works within the clear rules. It could well be that *most* Extended Tests wouldn't satisfy that criterion, and that's fine.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 8 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Well, we don't really know how exactly the wireless tech works though. It might very well be something where you need a significantly advanced system to find a hidden node like that, or it might be something that simply takes time. Personally I like the advanced system model on this just because the takes time model increases corp security rather absurdly. I mean, your team can't use wireless communication, or drones, or a hacker while inside a corp facility, because they'll get found in a few seconds.

Oh, and from something earlier, I'm fairly sure you can use wireless tracing to pinpoint a person to within 3', not 50'.

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Nov 8 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,409

There are some things to consider for trying to identify something broadcasting in a given space.

One, hidden nodes (nodes in general) are ubiquitous in the 2070's. Just searching for hidden nodes will find everything within signal range: the traffic lights and weather drones outside, the auto-taxi passing by (just consider all the traffic if you happened to be within a couple klicks from a major road), customers in your store if they have personal electronics (and who doesn't), the RFID's in the merchandise, the manager's business commlink in the building next door...you get the idea.

Now, finding something broadcasting within the enclosed space of a room or store or whatever is different, but still not necessarily easy given the proliferation of wireless signals. The air, unless it is in a remote/rural area, will literally be awash in signals. A drone in an urban area can almost hide in plain sight.

That said, using the extended test to search for a hidden node may very well be a good fascimile to finding a minidrone broadcasting in a store, if the security is set up to scan for transmitters (which I think you mentioned it was). Still, I wouldn't make it easier than 15, unless it truly was lacking in traffic.

Also, a minidrone fits in the palm of the hand. That's still big enough to be readily noticed, especially if it's flying. I notice when those darn moths get into the kitchen readily enough (though mostly because they're banging their mothy heads against the chandelier). I think minidrones get a -2 concealment to be noticed. As it likely doesn't have the stealthy autosoft (I forget the name), an observer would get a simple perception check (at -2 for concealment, possibly more for being distracted) to notice it entering/flying around.

Definitely ruthenium polymer them for better performance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 8 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #25

Advocatus Diaboli

Actually, hidden nodes can be pretty rare. Most of your examples would not be in Hidden Mode.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.