> Standard Node Security?
yesferatu
post Nov 8 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,916

Hey Guys,

I was re-reading the core Matrix rules and I thought it was curious that they don't list standard matrix node security.
Can somebody give me a node breakdown for a normal node and a vehicle node?

What programs should they be running?
What actions can they take?
What should their security response be?
Can they send multiple security programs after an intruder?
Does it make more sense to use 1 large toolbox IC program running everything or a bunch of smaller agents running minimal programs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 9 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

There are sample nodes/systems in Unwired. It's all pretty complicated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Raiki
post Nov 9 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,080

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 8 2010, 11:31 PM) *
It's all pretty complicated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yerameyahu: Master of Understatement.

~R~

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Nov 9 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

I sometimes do this when the hacker/tecnomancer makes me do something on the fly (following the old color codes).

Blue: All atrributes and IC are rating 1-2 (except system and response which are 3). These nodes are public access areas. IC are mostly trace, Admin is done remotely if at all.

Green: All atrributes and IC are rating 3-4. These nodes are limited public access areas. Little valuable information is contained on these nodes, such as a person's e-mail message box on their MSP (like hotmail). IC includes a mix of trace, cybercombat and standard attack programs.Also online consumer stores typically have this set up. Admin is done remotely, and will respond to any alerts triggered.

Orange: All atrributes and IC are rating 5-6. These nodes are secure areas. Valuable information is contained on these nodes, such as account information, low level clearance data, personnel records. IC includes a mix of trace, cybercombat and standard attack programs. Admin is done on the node (though not 24/7), and will call for back-up if any alerts are triggered.

Red: All atrributes and IC are rating 7-8. These nodes are very secure areas. Extremely valuable information is contained on these nodes, such top secret research data, black ops records. IC includes a mix of trace, cybercombat and standard attack programs and black IC. Admin is done on the node, and will call for back-up if any alerts are triggered. (At this level though I would strongly encourage designing it rather than winging it)

Black--yeah casually stroll in to a black node (rating 9 or better). I'll stat this node out in detail. Usually a UV host anyway.

SIde note IC=Agent

My general rule of thumb is a number of IC equalt to the system rating. Note if an alert is triggered more will launch.

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Nov 9 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

Warlordtheft, he is asking about 4E and that looks like a 3E standard. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, while the examples in Unwired may be more or less helpful for you, I can give you stats for a BOG-STANDARD all-purpose Node if you like. First though (and we are getting into my personal definition of Matrix topology here) tell me if you mean a DEVICE (like a single camera or door lock), a NODE (like, say, a security node that controls cameras and door locks) or a META-NODE (i.e. you don't want to take the time to create all the nodes in a given Matrix host, so to save time you just have the hacker hack one node, which is (at your discretion) more difficult, but controls everything. In my campaign I generally go with meta-nodes to save time on all but the most complex and crucial matrix systems.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Nov 9 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Neurosis @ Nov 9 2010, 11:24 AM) *
Warlordtheft, he is asking about 4E and that looks like a 3E standard. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, while the examples in Unwired may be more or less helpful for you, I can give you stats for a BOG-STANDARD all-purpose Node if you like. First though (and we are getting into my personal definition of Matrix topology here) tell me if you mean a DEVICE (like a single camera or door lock), a NODE (like, say, a security node that controls cameras and door locks) or a META-NODE (i.e. you don't want to take the time to create all the nodes in a given Matrix host, so to save time you just have the hacker hack one node, which is (at your discretion) more difficult, but controls everything. In my campaign I generally go with meta-nodes to save time on all but the most complex and crucial matrix systems.

I use my 2E experience as a guideline-but the key here is to just keep everything a standard rating so you always know how many dice to roll (An orange 4 system for example will allways roll 8 dice to resist hacking, as will any IC).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.