Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mad scientist, Or the SR version of Tony Stark
Pollux710
post Nov 15 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,424

Is it viable to make a logic adept or wared thinker that can really make things like armor and weapons from scratch. Of course according to all the rules in arsenal and augmentation such a thing is possible, but would it be feasible in an actual game? Making milspec prototype armor at home, running because you're bored or you really want to save the planet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maelstrome
post Nov 15 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,237

depends on the gm. ive done it. and i was also a mage. in the end i made lots of cool toys for the team.

edit, for more details.

my character had high mental stats and the majority of my skills where engineering and crafting related. i made weapons and armor for most of the team and also enchanted choice bits of gear.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 15 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Don't forget that access to a good workshop of some kind is also important. While Stark may be smart and all, he needed access to high grade materials and a full facility to make a proper suit. Same with Batman. He has access to all kinds of cool gizmos, but he only gets them by virtue of having access to materials and facilities.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Nov 15 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

And both have access to *huge* amounts of money they can tap nearly at will...

IMHO it's like when having a house built : you can have it good, fast or cheap, pick two. If you save money, it will take time or perform poorly.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 15 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The rules barely support making anything from scratch, actually. Even then, it's mostly jury-rigs, not 'milspec prototypes'.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 15 2010, 06:43 AM
Post #6

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Yeah, Arsenal has rules for modifying existing gear.

It does not really have rules for making stuff from scratch.

-k

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Nov 15 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 15 2010, 05:38 AM) *
Don't forget that access to a good workshop of some kind is also important. While Stark may be smart and all, he needed access to high grade materials and a full facility to make a proper suit.

Lifestyle: 50 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (A CAVE)
Gear: 25 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (A box of SCRAPS)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 15 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 15 2010, 07:02 AM) *
Lifestyle: 50 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (A CAVE)
Gear: 25 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (A box of SCRAPS)

He was actually given access to halfway decent equipment and materials, since the captors wanted him to build an entire missile system for them. And I'm sure you'll recall that the first version wasn't much more than really thick, bulky armor.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 15 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,556

If we're talking the movie, he specificallqy requested two sets of quality tools as part of the agreement.

Giving him access to flamethrower fuel was a mistake though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 15 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Zyerne @ Nov 15 2010, 07:56 AM) *
If we're talking the movie, he specificallqy requested two sets of quality tools as part of the agreement.

Giving him access to flamethrower fuel was a mistake though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm fairly sure it was hard to deny him the components to make it while he was building explosives for them.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 15 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 15 2010, 12:28 AM) *
The rules barely support making anything from scratch, actually. Even then, it's mostly jury-rigs, not 'milspec prototypes'.

Yup. Most of the rules in Arsenal for actual building refer to the BBB, and those rules are basically "here's a short list of modifiers, and then it's 1/2 cost and time determined by the GM." Kinda like the Operation Limit for vehicles - "it's 6 hours unless it isn't."

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Nov 16 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Oh, sweet Cthulhu. Now I have a burning urge to make a pixie who drives a human-sized mecha. Damn you, Dumpshock. Damn you.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 16 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 16 2010, 01:50 PM) *
Oh, sweet Cthulhu. Now I have a burning urge to make a pixie who drives a human-sized mecha. Damn you, Dumpshock. Damn you.

If you ever play Shadowrun Missions at DragonCon, Origins or conventions in the NE USA, you might meet a character like that.

Don't judge me! I'm living the dream!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

It's still incredible a Missions GM allowed that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Nov 16 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

OMFG. Pixie possession mage with a magical mecha.

1) Equip an Otomo walker drone with a pixie-sized waldo suit: the pixie pilot makes walking motions with his legs to make the drone walk, punching motions with his arms to make the walker throw a punch, etc. Basically a pixie-scale AMP suit (the mecha from Avatar).

2) Make the Otomo a prepared homunculus vessel. Possibly prohibitively expensive, time-consuming, labor-intensive, or some combination thereof.

3) In normal operation, control the drone like an AMP suit. When astrally projecting, or focusing on other tasks, summon a spirit to possess the drone and protect the pixie.

Am I insane? Quite possibly.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Nov 16 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Oddly, there's much more in-system support for theoretical thaumaturgists who invent their own spells and foci than there is for inventors who make other stuff from scratch- so if your concept can still fit within those lines, 'mad magical scientist' may be a perfectly viable character.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 17 2010, 02:20 AM
Post #17

Old Man Jones

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 16 2010, 05:44 PM) *
It's still incredible a Missions GM allowed that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It follows the rules.

That's all that matters in those types of campaigns.

I will say having GM'd "living" campaigns for more than a decade, you learn to just roll with whatever character concepts show up, as long as they follow the rules as allowed by that campaign. You kinda have to put your personal feelings and hangups aside and just run the game as written.

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 17 2010, 05:36 AM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

I mean, we've talked about this before. It *sorta* follows the rules, enough that it's okay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I blame the rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:14 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.