IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Datajacks, and other types, For poll, round to nearest
Percentage of Metahumanity with...
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 88
Guests cannot vote 
post Mar 12 2004, 04:23 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,663

I also was wondering if anyone knew what a Dedicated Chipjack was. I read it in a book somewhere, can't remember percisely, but what is it dedicated to. I understand what a chipjack is, would a dedicated chipjack be any different.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 12 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

dedicated chipjack is a chipjack with a permanently-installed chip. i don't remember what the advantage is--i think maybe it's cheaper than a normal chipjack? details are in M&M, i believe.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Mar 12 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I wanted to vote 50% or more, but really, it depends on the population being studied. I see far less than half of the global population sporting datajacks, but somewhere between 50-75% of the corporate wage-slave population sporting the chrome.

+Quote Post
post Mar 12 2004, 04:36 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,663

You really think so low of the populace would have datajacks.

I imagine most normal people too have a datajack. This doesn't include the down and outs in the sprawl, but I see a lot of people having the item.

This is why I'm asking the question though. I was reading one of the first books out there for Shadowrun, Never Deal with a Dragon. It seems like datajacks are an oddity, by how the book was written. Though in other stuff it would seem like Datajacks are the norm. I think it was in the entry for the item in one of the Shadowrun core books.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Mar 12 2004, 04:41 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I like a cyberpunk world where (like today) most of the world's population cannot get enough to eat, les alone get amazing DNI cyber devices.

I see datajacks as being a classic example of the difference between the "haves" and the "have nots" in the SR world.

I'd like to see a canon community where datajacks are the norm, but folks are still shy about them (keeping them in fingertips, etc.) Nothing says monetary success like hypocrisy.

/cynical

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 12 2004, 04:44 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

saying that 50% of the world has datajacks assumes an unimaginably vast increase in the global standard of living. most of the world population today splits their time between building mud huts, having sex, and cleaning their AK-47s; i don't see that improving by 2064, what with VITAS, the crash of '29, and all the other crazy changes the world has gone through. those who have the money, in shadowrun, are keeping it, not spreading it to third-world populations who will probably just use it to buy guns and kill each other.

now, 50% of the first-world population? closer to possible. there's still a lot of poor people that won't be able to afford one, though; i'd put it at 25% or less.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Mar 12 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

Maybe all those poor people are finally dead from the plauges and not eating.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 12 2004, 05:03 AM
Post #8

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

The populations grew back. Those people breed like rabbits you know. :)

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Mar 12 2004, 07:58 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Not if you sterilize them, they don't. ;)

:D

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 12 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

I went with 10%, because I assumed you meant the global population as a whole. I doubt a large fraction of the population in Third World nations has datajacks, balancing out the much higher incidence of datajacks in First World nations.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 12 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #11

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Im gonna go this route. 75% of people. But since those with out a SIN arnt really people anyway, whos counting. Figure ya get a datajack about 18ish, and of course the magical active dont have them, so around 65-75.

+Quote Post
Arz
post Mar 12 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,751

I believe even in the first world they would only be common amongst college educated people. The factor here being that I am assuming age of first implantation to be when entering college. I could see students adding datajacks to there tuition on student loans/grants. Though this makes wonder if financiers are developing tax-free savings plans similar to a 529 for the bio-medical improvement of your child.

I.E. : Mr. & Mrs. Wageslave squirrel away bits of there monthly wages into Novatech's Corporate sponsored 2044 Child Improvement Mutual Fund Plan. Junior Wageslave grows up and wants a bio-tattoo but mom and dad control the purse strings to his trust fund. Junior hires a few gangers to thug over control of his trust. Corp hires shadowrunners to get the Wageslaves back for an important _special_ project report they were working on.

Gee, I hope none of my players log-on before next week. :D

+Quote Post
Arz
post Mar 12 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,751

QUOTE (252)
I also was wondering if anyone knew what a Dedicated Chipjack was. I read it in a book somewhere, can't remember percisely, but what is it dedicated to. I understand what a chipjack is, would a dedicated chipjack be any different.

Details on this can be found in CC at the beginning on the section dealing with BTLs. They are meant to be inflicted on PCs as control-chips. They are permanently implanted chips that cannot be changed without being surgically removed.

+Quote Post
Jaded
post Mar 12 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,152

I can't imagine the question is for the entirety of the globe.

You set many of your SR games in the poorest stretches of non developed third world areas?

I see the datajack as being the equivalent of the modern pc. Perhaps a bit less common than that, maybe about the same as laptops. The datajack is just too darn handy and what's more, it LOOKS handy and hi tech. I'd bet they would sell fake jacks as novelty items.

+Quote Post
fctarbox3
post Mar 12 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,134

QUOTE (252)
You really think so low of the populace would have datajacks.

I imagine most normal people too have a datajack. This doesn't include the down and outs in the sprawl, but I see a lot of people having the item.

This is why I'm asking the question though. I was reading one of the first books out there for Shadowrun, Never Deal with a Dragon. It seems like datajacks are an oddity, by how the book was written. Though in other stuff it would seem like Datajacks are the norm. I think it was in the entry for the item in one of the Shadowrun core books.

Actually, that's just it, Never Deal with a Dragon is one of the first Shadowrun books, set in 2050. It's 2064. Compare computer use now with computer use in 1990... I imagine datajack use is going through a similar episode.

+Quote Post
Link
post Mar 13 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

Getting a DJ in 2060 might be like a mobile phone contract now. The DJ would be free to anyone who signed up for high speed matrix access for 12 to 24 months. This would get the numbers up.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Mar 15 2004, 02:55 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (fctarbox3)
Actually, that's just it, Never Deal with a Dragon is one of the first Shadowrun books, set in 2050. It's 2064. Compare computer use now with computer use in 1990... I imagine datajack use is going through a similar episode.

But at the same time, consider the millions, even billions of people around the world who probably haven't seen a computer, let alone used one.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 15 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #18

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

so the question boils down to this, its it the entire world that coverd by the % in the poll or just the developed world?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

for the sake of my own sanity, i'm going to assume that everyone who voted 50% is referring to the latter.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 16 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Well, only the latter are counted as people anyway. The rest are just statistics. I assumed the poll meant Seattle SINers. *Shrug*

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Apr 14 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

QUOTE (Lindt)
Im gonna go this route. 75% of people. But since those with out a SIN arnt really people anyway, whos counting. Figure ya get a datajack about 18ish, and of course the magical active dont have them, so around 65-75.

[QUOTE]Im gonna go this route. 75% of people. But since those with out a SIN arnt really people anyway, whos counting. Figure ya get a datajack about 18ish, and of course the magical active dont have them, so around 65-75.[QUOTE]

I gotta say, that's either an incredibly insightful way of resolving the question of what the poll meant to ask, or an incredibly horrible way of looking at the world :)

At least you didn't advocate sterilizing any populations.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Apr 14 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Developed world (Europe, America, Japan, Canada, N. Africa, parts of Asia): I'd wonder when I didn't see a datajack. Some of the novels point out that it's darned normal to get a data jack, like in Burning Bright. 2060. I'd imagine there'd be fewer Dirk Montgumery types who are cyberphobes.

Whole world: probably less than 10%. What use is it and how do you get it implanted when your world is a sand dune or something of that nature? Or if you shut yourself off from the developed world, intentionally or due to actions they frown upon?

Don

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.