Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On "Called Shot" and flechette, Some thoughts
theartthief
post Mar 12 2004, 05:28 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,111

I know that this has been covered before. I have tried to read all of the posts that I found. Here are some thoughts about why "Called Shot" should be allowed for PCs and how to make flechette ammo more interesting.

Called Shot:
While cannon rules do not allow called shot for anything smaller than a vehicle there are some situations where it makes sense that the PC should get the benefit of a called shot. Melee combat is not that spot. I used to play a 60+ year old sniper with a love of all work wet who was allowed to use called shot only for contracts. This makes sense as he would have time to set up and lay out his shot without bullets whizzing over his head. This also works with RL snipers. That said I propose a house rule for "Called Shot" as follows:

Character must have clear line of sight of target and be in a stable position outside of combat. The opposing character (NPC, cyberdog, whatever) should be stationary or walking. No combat pool dice apply to the test.

Someone will no doubt say that this rule favors snipers. Well... it does. Let's face it, the amount of time that would be required for a called shot can realistically only be pulled off by a sniper ... or maybe an ambush. GMs discretion if a handgun in an ambush situation would work with called shot.

One other thought: if called shot as a cannon rule does not work on anything smaller than a vehicle doesn't it make sense that it won't work on bikes? After all a Troll is about the same size as most bikes.

Flechette
Despite my comments earlier on "Called Shot" I have no desire to make flechette bypass all armor, that is just plain broken. I looked up the definition of flechette and found that:

Flechette: A steel missile or dart dropped from an aircraft or fired from an artillery piece.

[French, diminutive of flèche, arrow. See flèche.]

From dictionary.com

This makes sense about flechette doing more damage to an un-armored target if the round is packed with mini-darts, or mini-knives. Given that a knife can be driven through un-reinforced bullet-proof jackets, I don't see why flechette ammo wouldn't pass through the ballistic portion of armor. OK, I grant that these silvers would be tumbling and not flying straight but why not some of them. Therefore I suggest the following:

Flechette ammo keeps its damage and power upgrades against armor but every two points of impact armor deduces its damage code and the rest is resisted by ballistic armor. This would allow that the shear force of the blast - the ballistic portion (after all ballistic pretty much describes all guns) - be resisted by ballistic armor and the damage portion - impact - be resisted by that armor, this would simulate the random nature of darts, knives hitting broad side instead of point on.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-theartthief
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Mar 12 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

QUOTE (theartthief)
Given that a knife can be driven through un-reinforced bullet-proof jackets, I don't see why flechette ammo wouldn't pass through the ballistic portion of armor.

I can answer this one. A knife goes through kevlar because it has constant pressure, a bullet only has kinetic energy. Kinetic energy dissipates when it hits kevlar but a man with a knife keeps pushing.

On the other hand, vests designed to stop knifes are not much good against bullets. (and apparently, neither one of them are practical if you have large breasts)

+Quote Post
Slamm-O
post Mar 12 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,535

woah woah woah, elaborate on that brest thing dont just leave me hanging, are you saying that 'more endowed' women can not use BP vests with any real effect? so shadworunner and assassin chicks would prolly want reductions? there goes all my sexy SR contacts...(well still can be sexy i know, but still...)

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Mar 12 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

In the UK there was a female officer (or 'police-woman', as we call them here) who got stabbed when not wearing her vest. I think it made the papers because she sued but anyway, she complained that her 'assets' did not fit into the vest.

So I reckon in SR, anyone with large breasts would be unable to use 'off the shelf' body armour. It would have to be a custom job (1.5 x base price) and probably twice as hard to get... (if nothing else, it cuts down on the Lara Crofts)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (theartthief)
This makes sense about flechette doing more damage to an un-armored target if the round is packed with mini-darts, or mini-knives. Given that a knife can be driven through un-reinforced bullet-proof jackets, I don't see why flechette ammo wouldn't pass through the ballistic portion of armor.

Wait wait wait! Let's stop 'em rumors before they get started!

First, the flechettes: What is known as a flechette in the real world really looks very much like an arrow. Small-arms flechette ammunition, IRL, usually consists of a single such arrow. Here's pictures of flechette ammo for a 5.66mm assault rifle, here for a 15.2mm anti-material rifle.

A flechette doesn't deform, fragment or tumble when it hits flesh and, combined with the very small diameter, it causes a very, very small wound channel. Against an unarmed person, flechette ammunition is significantly less lethal than conventional forms of ammunition. They do, however, penetrate things really well, because they are very small, very sharp, very hard and very fast -- the same reasons why they suck at killing people, basically. This is how it'd work In Real Life.

Obviously, then, Shadowrun Flechette ammunition has absolutely nothing to do with what flechette ammo is IRL or how it works IRL. Which means that using any sort of Real Life logic to justify the existence of SR Flechette ammo is doomed to quick failure.

The closest RL match for SR Flechette ammunition might be readily fragmenting bullets -- these might be more lethal to unarmored targets, and stopped easily by body armor (you'll have to forget all about the "cutting through ballistic armor" crap in any case).

QUOTE (theartthief)
I grant that these silvers would be tumbling and not flying straight but why not some of them.

Since flechettes are fin-stabilized, they won't tumble. Not unless they hit an uneven plane and ricochet -- otherwise they'll fly completely straight.

QUOTE (Firewall)
On the other hand, vests designed to stop knifes are not much good against bullets.

Firewall has part of it right. Knives and other such objects penetrate, or at least have in the past penetrated, body armor better than bullets, because they have a different kind of force behind them. Being sharp doesn't help a whole lot, until you get to the kind of sharpness you can witness on the ammunition of the Steyr ACR.

However, even a rather old kevlar vest will provide some protection against threats such as knives, they were simply never guaranteed to do so. The National Institute of Justice does rate armor against knife-type threats currently, and there certainly are several types of flexible body armor out there that provide great protection against both small projectiles and sharp melee weapons.

And don't forget about rigid body armor -- things like steel and ceramic plates will stop any damn knife without any trouble whatsoever. Ramming a knife through an "Armored Vest with Plates" would require immense Strength, such as you'd expect to find from steel presses or huge cybered cyclops adepts.

The general trend in manufacturing body armor is that soon all body armor will be rated against knife-type threats, and they will perform rather well against them. So if you consider body armor to be made with similar principles in 60 years as it is made now, knives wouldn't be very good against armor in SR. If you don't think the principles are the same, then using any kind of RL logic is pointless.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Mar 12 2004, 01:00 PM

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Word from Your Master:
QUOTE (Raygun @ Jun 7, 2002 in the Old Forums)
Regardless of what Shadowrun rules say, a flechette is not a "bunch of tightly packed metal slivers" nor have they ever been described that way by anyone who knew even slightly of what they were speaking. The word "flechette" is French, and it translates to "little arrow" in English. That is exactly what a flechette is. A single projectile with a point at one end and some method of air flow stabilization, usually a set of three or more fins, at the other. Flechettes are most commonly used in tank munitions (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot: APFSDS), are usually constructed of extremely dense metals such as tungsten carbide or depleted uranium, and are most certainly armor piercing munitions at that scale.

At the small arms scale, flechettes are rarely ever seen, but can be found in very high powered rifles (using cartridges that are essentially scaled-down tank munitions) and shotguns. In shotguns, flechettes are fired in bunches, each one resembling a small nail with fins swaged into the rear, in order to right the projectile point-forward and stabilize it while in flight. This type of projectile is much better at penetrating armor than any round buckshot projectile because of its shape and because it is usually made of steel, which is harder and resists deformation much better than lead alloy.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Mar 12 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Mar 12 2004, 12:13 PM)
However, even a rather old kevlar vest will provide some protection against threats such as knives, they were simply never guaranteed to do so.

Yeah, sorry, you are right. All I meant is that they are not designed to do it, even a leather biking jacket is some defense against a knife. Actually, some to think of it, a biking jacket with ceramic trauma plates might not be a bad idea as far as armour goes. One shot protection but it would stop a knife and dissipate kinetic energy from bullet or flechette well.

And as for what a flechette really is, that is why my group uses house rules for them. Less powerful (1 less damage level) than a normal slug but ignore 2 points of armour/troll-skin (which pushes up TN on your body roll)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 01:58 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Firewall)
they are not designed to do it

They were not designed to do it, but increasingly more often they are now. All the major manufacturers have new materials which are meant to protect against all kinds of different threats. And like I said, there are even standards these days for what kind of knife-type threats these vests do protect against, so that your vest can be guaranteed to stop a "80 degree angle of sharpness stiletto-type blade with a 10 cm push with a force of X Newtons". Or something like that.

QUOTE (Firewall)
One shot protection

Many of even the ceramic plates aren't exactly "one shot". It seems there are many types of rifle protection plates that protect against both level IV threats (single .30-06 Armor Piercing round) and level III threats (5 7.62x51mm FMJ rounds evenly spaced).

However, for the kind of setup you mentioned, you probably wouldn't need continued protection against rifle-level threats, and would rather go for minimum weight and bulk instead -- which I suppose might mean a more brittle plate.

Why you'd want that rather than an armored vest with plates, though, I don't get... Big enough jacket on top of it, and it can be concealed just as well as rigid armor plates in a biking jacket.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Firewall)
And as for what a flechette really is, that is why my group uses house rules for them. Less powerful (1 less damage level) than a normal slug but ignore 2 points of armour/troll-skin (which pushes up TN on your body roll)

That's one very good way of dealing with it. Simple, balanced and reasonable.

+Quote Post
mcb
post Mar 12 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,083

Something like a small steel flechette, a knife point, or even an arrow has the advantage against unreinforce kevlar because the harder steel of a knife blade or very pointed tip of a flechette or arrow pushes the relatively loosely woven fiber apart bypassing them rather then try to break the exceptional strong kevlar fibers. A standard lead or copper jacketed lead bullet is soft and the strong kevlar fibers cut into the soft metal getting a good bite on the bullet and then the fibers can distributing the force across a larger section of the kevlar material.

The problem with flechette is they are steel. Steel produces projectiles with relatively horrible ballistic coefficients. Ask and duck hunter that has tried to use steel shot to hunt with after then made the use of lead shot illegal. The only really good use for flechette I have seen is in area effect weapons like anti-personnel mines and anti-personnel rockets.

The Millitary tried to used then in shotguns for a little bit in Vietnam to help with penetrating dense jungle foliage but with the advent of copper plated buckshot, flechettes fell out of favor in shotgun. The copper plated buckshot performed nearly as well in foliage penetration, pellets count was as high or higer then flechettes in a single round, and buckshot was a lot cheaper to produce.

Steel Flechettes have never proven exception effective or successful in small arms as projectiles but have found a nitch as optimize fragments in area effect anti-personnel and soft target weapon systems.

JMHO
mcb

+Quote Post
Voran
post Mar 12 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

In SR, Flechette ammo as written and used, seemed to be more like the real world version of (I think the word is) frangible ammo. (Check's raygun's site, yep looks like frangible is the word I'm looking for). Though to be fair, even that isn't a direct conversion, since frangibles apparently are designed to fragment on impact leading to more gross damage to the body, whereas SR flechette ammo is like stuffing buckshot into a pistol bullet casing :P. SR definately has its own wierd rules about guns and ammo.

Yknow, the funny thing is, without sites like Raygun's or community feedback, because I know SQUAT about guns or ammo, I would have taken SR's definitions and setups at face value, and been none the wiser :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (mcb)
Something like a small steel flechette, a knife point, or even an arrow has the advantage against unreinforce kevlar because the harder steel of a knife blade or very pointed tip of a flechette or arrow pushes the relatively loosely woven fiber apart bypassing them rather then try to break the exceptional strong kevlar fibers.

I tried to look for microscopic pictures of standard kevlar fibers as they appear in a suit of body armor, and came up with nothing. I did find a picture of a single one-directional layer of kevlar impregnated with Shear Thickening Fluid, and that has no gaps whatsoever.

I've never heard/read this explanation before personally, so I'm interested in where you picked it up? I don't doubt it, it seems sorta logical, but I would like to read more about it.

+Quote Post
Fahr
post Mar 12 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

I was told something ilke this in my Archery classses at college, and it makes some sense, but i had always thought that is was the sharpness factor that made broadheads penetrate kevlar better, thin very sharp blades can cut kevlar, and so the force is not disipated but instead used to slice the fibers, thus driving through and hitting the person behind it. additionally, an arrow is more dangerous because it will still cut you and make you bleed even after shedding force getting through the kevlar.

bullets will give you blunt trauma behind the impact site, but the arrow will cut you if it makes it through the kevlar layer at all, and broadheads are as sharp as razors, so you tend to get very clean cuts that blead a whole lot. If i could get a hold of a peice of kevlar, I would be more than happy to shoot arrows at it and post the results. :)

-Mike R.

+Quote Post
theartthief
post Mar 12 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,111

Ok.... points (no pun intended) taken.

Thanks Firewall, for this:

And as for what a flechette really is, that is why my group uses house rules for them. Less powerful (1 less damage level) than a normal slug but ignore 2 points of armour/troll-skin (which pushes up TN on your body roll).

I will most likely use this in my games.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

-theartthief

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Fahr)
i had always thought that is was the sharpness factor that made broadheads penetrate kevlar better, thin very sharp blades can cut kevlar

A very, very thin and very, very sharp blade just might. It's worth noting that cutting kevlar is actually really fucking hard, almost impossible, with conventional tools. And arrows actually aren't good for penetrating kevlar vests -- I'm pretty sure modern flexible bullet-proof vests are easily capable of stopping any arrow (although maybe not bolt).

bullets will give you blunt trauma behind the impact site, but the arrow will cut you if it makes it through the kevlar layer at all

If a bullet gets through body armor, it gets through with enough energy to pierce a bit of flesh. Most of the time, if a bullet penetrates armor, it's extremely lethal -- it doesn't have to move very fast to get deep enough into a human being to mangle some internal organs.

+Quote Post
mcb
post Mar 12 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,083

There are two type of basic attack with a blade, a cutting slashing action or a stabbing action Kevlar vest perform very differently in these two situations. Kevlar has pretty good protection against cutting or slashing action, but very poor against stabbing actions.

Kevlar fibers are very slippery and very strong this make them excellent at resisting a slashing cut. They would rather let the blade slide over them then let it get purchase to actually cut the fiber, but the same slippery property that makes them good at resisting the slash hinders any effectiveness in stopping penetration of a stab. The fibers would rather slip out of the way of the stabbing point of a hard steel knife blade or similar point not being able to get a hold of it as they can with softer metal of a bullet. Also since the fibers are so slippery, especial sliding over other Kevlar fibers, it is difficult to weave them in a pattern that resist being displaced when being stab by a fine point. The tip of a broad-head or the stiletto point of a double edge knife works pretty good at pushing the fibers out of the way. If you use an ice pick type stabling device Kevlar offers almost no protection.

Many stab resistant vests have stainless steel or titanium meshes woven in between layers of Kevlar. The metal mesh is good at resisting the blade’s attempts to displace the fibers in the metal mesh. Other vest use thin but tough layer of polymer sheets to slow the blade and keep it from displacing the Kevlar fibers.

mcb

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

The NIJ says the following in the Selection and Application Guide to Personal Body Armor under Body Armor Construction - How Does Stab-Resistant Body Armor Work?
QUOTE (http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/189633.pdf)
Many of the same materials are used in both ballistic-resistant armor and stab-resistant armor, with one important distinction. Because knives, picks, and spikes are pointed, the initial contact forces for stabs threats are very high. These high forces pose a risk to ballistic-resistant armor. To counter this, stab-resistant armors are normally made from very tightly woven fabrics or from very closely spaced laminated layers.

It seems that metal meshes are not very common, at least not common enough to merit a mention by NIJ. Displacement certainly does seem to be the problem, because it is solved by weaving the fabrics tighter or laminating them and reducing the spacing.

Maybe I should spend more time reading through that guide... Keep finding new stuff from it.

In any case, flexible armor vests that provide protection against both pistol-caliber threats and stabs are common these days, without a significant decrease in comfort or increase in price. It's fair to assume that bladed weapons would be really poor at penetrating body armor by the 2060s, since there's not much that can be done to improve blades, while body armor just keeps getting better and better at an ever faster rate.

Flechette-type ammunition is still likely to be better against body armor than conventional ammunition types, no matter how the respective technologies develop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.