> How to handle Stun damage vs vehicles/drones
Mutie
post Mar 12 2004, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,076

Ok all you rule guru's heres a tuffy.

A conversation started in another thread concerning how to handle stun vs a vehicle came up(see quotes below), so as not to hijack the other thread i am moveing this question to it's own thread .

The question is how would you handle stun waepons vs soemthing with no stun track?

Hers what has been said so far.

(Mutie)
A Body 2 rotor drone with no armor can pretty much be disabled with a baseball bat

(Shockwave_IIc)
Actually i didn't think you can since drones have no stun track... 

(Mutie) Interesting point but wouldn't that mean that the stun is deemed exceeded and moves into physical damage .

My argument being that just because you don't have a stun track shouldn't mean you are immune to stun taking a baseball bat to a car may not disable the car ( mostly because it can soak) but against a 0 body spider drone should pretty much finish it off. I would hate to live in a world where i can't kick in the television screen because it has no stun track

(Moonstone Spider)
The "No stun track" bit can lead to some really odd situations in Shadowrun.

Big Willy the Troll is pissed off at his Fixer, so he decides to total her car. He pulls out a sledgehammer and spends 20 minutes beating on it, with no effect. Cooling down, he decides to play it smart and pulls out his trusty Cougar Fineblade. In around 30 seconds the car falls apart, sliced to bits by the pocketknife.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post Mar 12 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,062

Already given my opinion on the other thread. If you want to break a vehicle with a stun weapon, then use the rules for vicious blow.

Just for the record, Body 0 drones have no condition monitor, if they take any damage, they're dead.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 12 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

But there is a rule in the book that states vehicles completely ignore stun damage. I'm sure of it.

Then again my batting average lately for actually being right about things that I am sure of has approached a sucking of prolific proportions. So take it with a grain of salt :D

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 12 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I think I read somewhere that anyone can choose to do physical damage with a stun weapon, by taking a +4 modifier and staging every four successes instead of two. Was that rule superceded with the vicious blow maneuvre?

Because if not, that would be your answer. Subject to usual vehicle damage rules, anyway.

But that pocket knife example is a pretty good one of a BIG hole in the rules. THere should be a section on melee weapons vs vehicles, same as there is for magic and firearms. Imagine a metal base ball bat (mainly so it won't break rather than anything else) wielded by a cybered up Troll against even a moderately armoured (say, 4 points worth) of vehicle. It should be able to smash the car to pate quite quickly - far more quickly than he could with a knife, but that's not how the rules work. Tricky...

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 12 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

QUOTE (BitBasher @ Mar 12 2004, 04:21 PM)
But there is a rule in the book that states vehicles completely ignore stun damage. I'm sure of it.

I don't much care if it is in the book. Its a silly idea! If its there it sounds like it wasn't thought through, or that they couldn't decide how to make it work and just blanket capped the whole thing which is a bit sucky, if true.

+Quote Post
Veracusse
post Mar 12 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,960

A simple solution would be to not use the condition monitor, but instead treat the vehicle with a barrier rating. Assuming that said troll is banging on the fixer's car. Treat the part the troll is banging on with an apropriate Barrier Rating, (such as the door with a BR of 6 or if it is made of fiber glass a BR of 4), and then just apply the BR rules to it. That way the Troll dosen't have to roll for initiative, or roll to strike against the car either. This makes the sledge hammer a lot more effective, and the pocket knife not so effective.

Veracusse

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 12 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Ya know, who needs hard and fast rules here? If your troll goes at that car, hes gonna do some damage to it, but its still gonne drive mostly fine. The knife is the same deal, cept flattening tires is a moderate wound (I believe that was in R3 somewhere for spike strips). Your not gonna total a car with a bat, or a knife, but your gonna do a few thousand in damage to it.
So basicly, GMs wing it.

+Quote Post
Mutie
post Mar 12 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,076

Lets for the moment get away from stuff with armor because it confuses the issue greatly as i am the first to admit takeing a baseball bat to a car designed to deflect bullets is going to result in tennis elbow.

In fact Stun vs vehiclar armor is worth its very own discussion( for that matter does stun damage work against a barrier rating?).

So assumeing the stun is of a type a gm is willing to admit may result in damage to the drone how would we go about figureing it.

For the sake of this discussion lets take a body 2 motor cycle with no armor vs a str 4 human armed with a bo staff this is a 6m stun attack( math?)

Does the motorcycle quietly ignore the nice man? Obviously not but the interesting question would be how would we go about stageing it or reduceing the stun when converting it to real damage.

+Quote Post
Fahr
post Mar 12 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

I say that the man with the bo has to stage the damage to D Stun + over to do any real damage to the bike.

I think this because "damage" isonly stuff that impedes the vehicles use, not cosmetics. so it will take a lot of whaking or a lot of skill to damage that bike to a point where it will be harder to use, and even more to destroy it.

our freindly Str 9 Troll with Sledge will have a slightly easier time (11 S Stun) 11 M Stun Vs. vehicle he would need 6 successes to damage the vehicle. since it is stationary, I would give the bike a TN 2 to hit it, so he's gonna start doing samage pretty quick (skill 6) he'll do a point of damage every 3 hit without using any cobat pool. with 6 CP added he'll do at least a point of damage 99% of the time.

our Bo Staff guy on the other hand, assuming again skill 6 and 6 CP will do 1 point of damage 96% of the time, (12 dice vs Tn 2 need 8 succeses) assuming the bike doesn't get lucky and stage it back down.

this is how I would handle it as a Gm.
-Mike R.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 12 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Actually I just noticed that you can do physical damage at half the power with a stun based wepon. So that cyber troll is gonna lay waste to that bike. But his still gonna have some trouble wrecking that car.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Mar 12 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

What about Stun Bolt?

+Quote Post
Rev
post Mar 12 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

Stun bolt is a mana spell :)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 12 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

That's a mana spell, not physical. Mana spells cannot affect a nonliving object. period.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Mar 12 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

What if the vehicle had a living organism spliced into its control portions? Then the stun bolt would work. And remember, you never know the vehicle doesn't have a human brain plugged in until you stun bolt it.

Clarification: when I say living organism tied into vehicle, I am NOT talking about a rigger controlling the vehicle.

(edited for spelling)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 12 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Mmm, dogbrain cars...

~J

+Quote Post
Slamm-O
post Mar 12 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,535

you can just take the modifier for deliberatly doing physical damage (i know you can do it with your fists against humans, described as trying to break bones/kill rather than just render unconscious/in a lot of pain). I would personally use those rules.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 12 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #17

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

What about taking a taser to a drone/vehicle that a rigger has jumped into? While chances are good that you won't do much to the object, that stun should go straight into the riggers mid-brain.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 12 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Lindt)
Actually I just noticed that you can do physical damage at half the power with a stun based wepon.

Where is that rule located? I know you can do it with Bone Lacing, and it makes a lot of sense in most cases, but I wasn't aware it's possible with all weapons in canon.

Stun to Phys at ½ Power is actually how I'd house rule this (if indeed it isn't canon) if it ever came up with melee weapons.

I'd rather just wing it, though, if the outcome isn't central to the plot.

And if someone out there thinks vehicles should never take any damage from Stun attacks, think what a Concussion Grenade would do to a motor cycle.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Mar 12 2004, 11:52 PM

+Quote Post
Corporate Raider
post Mar 13 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 1,652

This topic was covered pretty thoroughly about 3 months ago. Here's the linky:

Stun rounds vs vehicles

Enjoy.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 13 2004, 06:16 AM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Nikoli)
What about taking a taser to a drone/vehicle that a rigger has jumped into? While chances are good that you won't do much to the object, that stun should go straight into the riggers mid-brain.

That's covered in R3 under the "electrical attacks" rules.

As far as body 0 drones go, bear in mind that they're a special case. Any damaging effect trashes them. I take that to mean if you stomp a spider-drone, it's destroyed, no soak possible. The normal rules don't apply here; so regardless of rather or not an attack does Stun or Physical, the spider is toast.

+Quote Post
Mardegun
post Mar 13 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 521

It all depends on the type of stun. Stun spells would have not effect, because they are designed to worked against a living creatures. In regards to melee attacks I would use something akin to the barrier rules. Everyone seems to forget the BRs aren't adjusted against blunt melee attacks. :)

So a 11 M stun attack is the same as a 11 M pyhsical attack when attacking barriers ... why not use the same rules against vechiles?

+Quote Post
Limping Jacob
post Mar 14 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 6,154

Hmmm, wonder if a hit from a Yamaha Pulsar or similar electricity weapon would cause a bike/car/drone to blow a few circuit breakers or something like that. Since many vehicles are electrically-powered in SR, it seems like it could get even nastier than that. I can't say as I've shot any cars with tasers, but I suspect something bad would happen. Any ideas on rules (either canon or house)?

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Mar 14 2004, 06:46 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,133

Far be it from me to pronounce myself an authority on vehicles and electrical damage but...

I do however think, as we all know, that electricity and vehicles are not good friends.

Now as far as whether or not a lightning bolt would mess with a vehicle, I point you to those electric rockets and electric strips (designed to be rolled out and presumably rolled over) as proof positive it definitely does bad things to vehicles.

Zap strips I believe they are called and zap rockets or something. One of you cannon ninjas should be able to puke out a page number by morning. =)

I'm following this thread on account of my complete uselessness against Drones and vehicles in general (ok ok, a well placed barrier 6 can ruin a riggers day) so I'm seriously pondering a force 6 lightning bolt and so.... since you'z all crunching the math and me and math haven't been friends since I stood up his sister at prom. How effective will this force 6 lightning bolt BE against drones and vehicles?

Amaze me with your l33t math sk33lz...

Kong

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 14 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Depends a bit on the rigger, but generally with a lightning bolt you'll actually suffer a higher level of drain than the Rigger will ASIST feedback. This assumes it's a drone and the rigger's deck is equipped with a fairly cheap device called a Feedback Biofilter. With a Direct connection rather than a VCD the Rigger will be facing physical damage instead of stun and the code will be higher than your drain.

Wreck Vehicle might be a better bet, although given it's TN is the Object Resistance, with a vehicle that's 8 plus body plus half armor so you need some serious sorcery skills for it to do any good. For instance against a Steel Lynx, your TN would be a 14. Even against body 0 drones that can be crushed like a beer can you have a TN of 8. Magic just isn't particularly effective against vehicles under any conditions.

Accident can help if you can summon the right spirit at the right time but in games I've played in the past the Rigger's reaction was high enough that half the time the Spirit was taken out by a hail of Vehicle weaponry as it manifested, and the other half the Rigger's VCR decreased the TN so much he easily passed the crash test.

Honestly? My advice is to buy a sack of grenades. They're cheap and even with no skill at all you have an excellent chance of doing damage with them against anything less than the mini-tank (ie. Steel Lynx). If you happen to have some skill with thrown weapons that's even better.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 14 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
Now as far as whether or not a lightning bolt would mess with a vehicle, I point you to those electric rockets and electric strips (designed to be rolled out and presumably rolled over) as proof positive it definitely does bad things to vehicles.

And I must point to electric shock anti-theft systems! Now it seems to me that vehicles able to pump a gajillion volts through their skin should be immune to the same thing occuring from another source. Then again I am high as a kite and should reserve real judgement for tomorrow morning.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.