Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How does an aura look like?
Thanee
post Dec 1 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #1

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Is there anything in the SR4 books, that says what an Aura actually looks like in Astral Space?

Does it (still, as in previous editions) look like an idealized version of the actual being (for typical living beings)?
Or ist that only for Astral Forms (i.e. Astral Projection)? Does the Astral Form look the same as the Aura (just more solid)?

Or is it just swirling colors in roughly humanoid shape?

Bye
Thanee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 1 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Well, SR4 is not particularly descriptive on it, but to me, it's going to be shaped like the person, and colored probably determined by base, primal emotions.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Dec 2 2010, 03:19 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,585

A really easy cop-out is to grab a bunch of Kirlian (spelling?) and "aura" photos and say, "Like this, only not so neon as the general pollution and evil of the 6th world has added shades for grey and brown to the astral experience"

As soon as someone asked what it looks like, we popped one out and explained the skill "aura reading" wasn't seeing the auras, it was determining what all those pretty colours meant and in what context.

"Ahh, so if they're lying, it..."
"Ripples and changes shape."
"Right"

-Tir.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Dec 2 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

IMHO there is a difference between the aura and an astral body. The aura surrounds your body in astral and normal space, the astral body simply replaces your regular bodyand is the thing that looks "idealized".

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 2 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Dec 2 2010, 06:25 AM) *
IMHO there is a difference between the aura and an astral body. The aura surrounds your body in astral and normal space, the astral body simply replaces your regular bodyand is the thing that looks "idealized".

I would disagree, based on p. 181-182, sr4:
Nonliving objects appear as a faded semblance of their physical selves gray and lifeless, while auras of living things are vibrant and colorful...
Astral forms are more colorful and brighter than auras as they are astrally "real".

so non living = gray semblance

living, non astral = bright, colorful semblance (maybe pastel in color shade?)
Astrally active = even brighter and more colorful (the loud colors)

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Dec 2 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

Dude, you can't see auras irl?

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 3 2010, 02:38 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

192 of SR4A has a good picture of it.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 3 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #8

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Dec 2 2010, 01:33 PM) *
Dude, you can't see auras irl?

There's an entire body of work that claims the opposite. Someone mentioned Kirilan photography above. I'm not going to say if it's real or not, but there is research being done into auras.

+Quote Post
Gamer6432
post Dec 3 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,325

From the description the book gives, it seems to me like the difference between an aura and an astral being (spirit, projecting mage, etc...) is like the difference between Augmented Reality and Reality. One is sorta translucent "there but not there" and the other is solid and "there".

Just my 2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

+Quote Post
Jareth Valar
post Dec 12 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,160

I have used for a long time the chart in V:tM for Auspex. That is one of the most detailed charts I have seen. Of course you will have to add a few of your own for 6th world additions, but with all the examples already given, it's easy.

It's kind of cool when the mage at the table gets used to the chart and scores enough successes/hits for me to give him/her an accurate description by just color/effect and he/she runs with it. The other players are sitting there just blinking, going..."Huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/question.gif) "

If you don't have access to any of those books, here is a basic chart.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.