IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Seattle running-out of underground real-estate?, My friends, I have a dire revelation
capt.pantsless
post Dec 3 2010, 04:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,032

My friends, I have a dire revelation.

It seems like practically every shadowrun I go on inevitably ends by breaking-into yet another Secret Underground Research Lab and stealing some sort of neato doo-dad. These labs invariably span thousands of square meters, have multiple levels, are staffed by hundreds of dedicated research scientists, and guarded by elite security forces. ISO standard corporate policy indicates that once such a facility is breached, it must be abandoned and a new one, even grander and less realistic than the original must be constructed post-haste. However, there is a very limited amount of space in which to build these bastions of wonderful-stuff-which-we-get-paid-to-steal, and I fear it may soon run out. 20+ years of endless shadowrunning has taken its toll on the originally vast tracts of underground space. By my highly scientific calculations, Seattle will be completely covered in Secret Underground Research Labs by 2079.

Is our very way of life being threatened by a lack of appropriate space for our corporate benefactors' Secret Underground Research Labs. If we cannot break-into Secret Underground Research Labs, how will we make ends-meet? Will we be forced to downgrade our lifestyles?

Have we reached 'Peak Secret Underground Research Lab Space'? Won't anyone think of the children?

What will the future hold?

P.S. I am not a crackpot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Dec 3 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

They just keep digging deeper.

The real problem is those blasted "night ones" elves moving into and connecting all the old labs, with their weird spider insect spirits.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 3 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

The economy has already compensated for this. When Secret Badcorp Lab moves out of their underground lair, they post it on Google Real Estate so it can be purchased by a different corporation.

Of course, many corps don't have the assets right now to own their own secret underground lair. In many cases, they have to lease or rent. That's okay though. There are several companies with agents waiting to assist you, and if you call right now, they'll waive sign-up fees. This is also a great option for corporations whose world-domination plans only require a few months of Conjuring Beasts of the Underworld.

Yes, competition has gone up over the past few years. And of course, some corporations are sitting on prime real estate. But I have heard rumors, just rumors, mind you, of groups of individuals who specialize in convincing corporations to leave their underground lair, and return it to the market.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Dec 3 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

Of all the games I've run, I've done this once.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Dec 3 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Where does company policy indicate that the lab has to be immediately abandoned if it is breached? If it is breached, yeah, that sucks, but you double security and get on with life. And even if you do have to abandon it, it isn't as though it has to remain abandoned forever. Maybe another company will move in, or maybe you'll move back in in a few years once everything has blown over.

I mean, you're really talking about a limited amount of real estate period as opposed to underground, because anything that has space above ground, could also be made to have space below ground.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Dec 3 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 3 2010, 11:36 AM) *
The economy has already compensated for this. When Secret Badcorp Lab moves out of their underground lair, they post it on Google Real Estate so it can be purchased by a different corporation.

Of course, many corps don't have the assets right now to own their own secret underground lair. In many cases, they have to lease or rent. That's okay though. There are several companies with agents waiting to assist you, and if you call right now, they'll waive sign-up fees. This is also a great option for corporations whose world-domination plans only require a few months of Conjuring Beasts of the Underworld.

Yes, competition has gone up over the past few years. And of course, some corporations are sitting on prime real estate. But I have heard rumors, just rumors, mind you, of groups of individuals who specialize in convincing corporations to leave their underground lair, and return it to the market.

This post is pure gold.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 5 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

We realy get underground labs. freaquently we find research hidden in lots of normal stuff. burger, cheese, fries, bunsd and oh there's the secret sauce, al in a normal lab. I mena jeez hide in plain sight works better than bueacoup hidden stuff. Finding such a base is usually done by looking for supply and other logisitc,where's the guards going? etc

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 5 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

Yep a skyscraper where several floors are accessible only to approved personnel, and where from the outside the windows look like they have the shades down (tho covered over on the inside) may be just as effective. Hell, consider the number of meth labs and pot greenhouses that are hidden in ordinary houses.

+Quote Post
Jizmack
post Dec 6 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,151

QUOTE (capt.pantsless @ Dec 2 2010, 08:24 PM) *
...By my highly scientific calculations, Seattle will be completely covered in Secret Underground Research Labs by 2079.

Please list your "highly scientific calculations"... I'm very interested (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
rofltehcat
post Dec 6 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 18,893

Don't forget what will happen with those underground labs in 50 years or so. The ones that aren't built as sturdy (needing a new one every few weeks means you need to construct cheaper) and the ones that are badly damaged (plan C, variety 4) will start to cave in and many buildings on the surface will follow!

We're all doomed!

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Dec 6 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I hear land is cheap in Lagos..

+Quote Post
rofltehcat
post Dec 6 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 18,893

Isn't Lagos a bit too swampy to build underground? Could as well build under water.

+Quote Post
Inncubi
post Dec 6 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,626

Land and life are both cheap in Lagos.

Have we reached 'Peak Secret Underground Research Lab Space'? Won't anyone think of the children?

Why hasn't anyone addressed the children issue? Are you soulless, murderers for hire without any metahumanity left in your cyberhearts?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 6 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Jizmack @ Dec 6 2010, 01:01 AM) *
Please list your "highly scientific calculations"... I'm very interested (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Can't. Too scientific.

~J

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Dec 6 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

All that underground digging has had to seriously destabilize the integrity of the surrounding strata endangering all of greater Seattle.
Oh wait is that in itself part of some evil corporate real estate plan........Hmmmm

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 6 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (rofltehcat @ Dec 6 2010, 01:12 PM) *
Don't forget what will happen with those underground labs in 50 years or so. The ones that aren't built as sturdy (needing a new one every few weeks means you need to construct cheaper) and the ones that are badly damaged (plan C, variety 4) will start to cave in and many buildings on the surface will follow!

What do you think the Deep Lacuna is? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But the space problem should solve itself: Whenever MCGuffin Unethical Research Inc excavates a new underground lab, the resulting slag pile becomes a prime lot for volcano lairs (synthetic magma dispenser upgrades available, ask your local retailer).

+Quote Post
Patriot Arrow
post Dec 6 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 19,195

From the Seattle AAA Corporation handbook, Page 115, Paragraph 4, Word 3: "a."

It also mentions that as of 2052, All Corporations are, and I quote, "Far too rich for their own good, so they must make disposable underground labs in order to help manage their vast wealth."

Apparently they build these new labs so they will have room for all the money they'll be making (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
TheMadderHatter
post Dec 10 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 17,649

Isn't Lagos a bit too swampy to build underground? Could as well build under water.

So naturally we have secret underground house-submarines.

That said, we must think to the future; surely some transhumanist element can find a way to create a secret underground in space, so that when humanity finally leaves its cradle on a more complete basis, it can take its reclusive mad scientists, fanatic minions, and horrendous abominations against nature along without them dying of transplant shock or trying to burrow through the walls.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 10 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I've always preferred one of these.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Dec 10 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

.Sorry mispost

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Dec 10 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

QUOTE (Patriot Arrow @ Dec 6 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Apparently they build these new labs so they will have room for all the money they'll be making (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Sort of like Scrooge McDuck having to build another vault with his money, to hold even more of his money, so he can then swim in said money? That's awesome.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.