Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roleplay v rollplay v badplay
Azrael
post Dec 4 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 131

As as group, my gaming group aren't that great at the whole roleplay thing.

We have the odd snap, but, for the majority of the players and the GM they don't "buy in" to the mood / setting and our games (not just SR), end up as roll play.

Many years ago I burned out as a GM on SR3 trying to get this to be better, runs like the arcology helped, but it got to hard for the headspace I had at the time.

Now I'm a player again, and I'm giving it a red hot go, but other than 1 other the rest of the group a) don't have the time to get the full feel of the universe by reading the 10 different fluff books and b) are happy to roll what they're told when they're told at this point.

Has anyone got any lessons learnt on how I, as a player and without getting the others to read the whole detailed history of SR over 4 editions, can dial the role play up amongst the others?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Dec 4 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

The only things I can suggest are just trying to dial up the roleplay yourself. If you do a good enough job, then the others might feel the need to keep up, and give it a go. A good reflection on your actions gives a great feel of the universe, if they see that, they might want to add a little life to their game, too.

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Dec 4 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Havign a GM on board is crucial, in my opinion, for this. If they ain't feeling it either, that's setting the tone and pace for the rest of them.

I agree with HunterHerne on trying to set the example, though. It might work, and it can't hurt.

I'd also suggest a movie/book/graphic novel list to help give people mind set. I won't make one here, since your take is going to be different than mine, obviously. If the game is more about the grit, go for the grit. If it's more about the tech, go for that, and so on.

It's a bit much, and we don't even do it ourselves, but if you are feeling really desperate to inject some role into your play you could even dress the part. Get your trenchcoat and shades on for the evening. If it's an older edition get into the lingo and say things like drekhead and frag you up your fraggin' hoop.

Good luck.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post Dec 4 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Dec 4 2010, 07:15 AM) *
The only things I can suggest are just trying to dial up the roleplay yourself. If you do a good enough job, then the others might feel the need to keep up, and give it a go. A good reflection on your actions gives a great feel of the universe, if they see that, they might want to add a little life to their game, too.

This.

If there's one or more of the players who want to start in with significant role-playing, work with them to get character development and start acting-up. It's hard to start acting during a game when everyone else is just staring at you. You need to sorta jump-start the acting. Don't force it on your table, you'll just drive people away.

Starting with a more humorous and wacky vibe can be easier for many people to get into, although it usually doesn't mess too well with a black-trenchcoat themed game.

That said, there's nothing wrong with roll-playing, and if your group is having fun with roll-play, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. All many people enjoy playing chess without acting-out when a rook takes a pawn. Role-playing isn't for everyone. If it was, you'd all be auditioning for the local Improv Theater.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 4 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #5

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Kick it into over drive: Start up the cos-play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Dec 5 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #6

Target

Thanks guys, except for the trench coat and cosplay, that was plan A.

Affirmation of a plan is as good as another plan.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 5 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

yeah pretty much, though not the co-splay I am NOT turning up in a skin tight 2nd skin and a leather biker jacket.

But if you're having more fun role playing while they are just number runching and possibly getting more attention from the GM because of it, they will or at least should get more motovated. When creating the characters did your GM use the old 20 questions bit from the books to flesh out the characters or did they just pound out the numbers?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Dec 5 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 5 2010, 11:21 AM) *
yeah pretty much, though not the co-splay I am NOT turning up in a skin tight 2nd skin and a leather biker jacket.

Holy hell, how would you even implement that? Create some kind of spandex body stocking and throw a leather biker jacket over that? That's hilarious and awful.

Where would you stash your longarms and ammo with that getup? :O

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 5 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

just for full disclaimer (in case the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) wasnt obvious enough: I WAS joking about the cosplay (unless you've got s hot female in the group that you can convince to play a shapechanging cat and she comes as a half naked furry)

+Quote Post
tagz
post Dec 5 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

Know what helped a few member of my group? A little alcohol. Not so much that they couldn't play, but enough to make them less self conscious. Everyone felt much more free to roleplay. It was great, had the face, who had real trouble really getting into character back then, pretend to slap me (an NPC tied to a chair for interrogation) repetitively across the face. Since then his roleplaying has been much much better, it was just getting over that initial stage fright (also, pointing out the face himself didn't drink, it was just that the atmosphere was more relaxed because so many of us were).

I'd say most people don't roleplay because they don't like it, I think most people don't because they are worried about what other people will think and say about them roleplaying. Make sure that the atmosphere is one where everyone feels safe about stepping out of their comfort zone a little.

Also, figure out the scenes they like best from movies and tv shows. They'll want to act out things that are similar to their favorite scenes more.

+Quote Post
Kyrel
post Dec 5 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,583

Here's my suggestion.

1) "Show the way". It's OK to have some out of character chit chat about different stuff, but when you've had i.e. a couple of minutes of talk OOC, ask people if you should get back to the game.
2) Have your character engage the other characters in some ingame talk. Ask them about their pasts and families. Ask them about hobbies. Ask them about all kinds of stuff that isn't really relevant to the situation at hand, or the mission you are planning, but the answers to which helps bring the characters to life, because if forces the other characters to come up with some sort of information on their characters, and forces them to think a little about their characters as people, rather than just a collection of dots and numbers on a piece of paper.
3) Share stories about your character's experiences, earlier runs, and private stuff that isn't related to the run your characters are engaged in, but which might be stuff people might talk about in a given situation. Two guys on a stakeout might end up talking about sports, girls, lovelife, politics, or any number of other subjects.

Basically, the more you can engage the other players in in-character talk, the more you force them to relate to their characters backgrounds, and telling stories to the other players in-game can also be a good way for you to give your friends a "light" introduction to different parts of the setting.

Also talk to the GM about perhaps adding a little more stuff between runs, where the players get to do some everyday stuff like maintaining the relations to their contacts etc. In other words, try and convince him to help set up situations that will allow for and require players to talk about what they are going to do, rather than roll dice to accomplish something.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 5 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #12

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

I firmly believe in the 'show the way' suggestions above.

On top of that, there is the mercenary consideration of Karma awards for role playing. If you keep geting one or two more Karma each run, some might get the same incentive one might find in a glass of beer.

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Dec 5 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #13

Target

20 questions was asked, but we are still playing cat and mouse with these characters and their histories.

Contemplating derailing the next session with a characters personal crisis halfway through a run. Just need to work out how to do it so it's doesn't just become all about me.

+Quote Post
tagz
post Dec 6 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

Next run, while in the middle of it, speak in character about how it's similar to another run your character did.

Or maybe if your group has a history together you can start making a "noodle incident", a story where nothing is ever really explained, just absurd comparisons and hints as to what it could have been, and see if you can get them to add to it.

"Way the guards are laid out... reminds me of the McPherson run. Remember that Vargas guy, you know head of security on that one? What the hell did you throw on him to do that to him anyhow? Man... Good times."

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 6 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #15

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

If they're having fun like things are right now, why force the issue?

+Quote Post
KamikazePilot
post Dec 6 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 19,206

QUOTE (Azrael @ Dec 6 2010, 08:57 AM) *
20 questions was asked, but we are still playing cat and mouse with these characters and their histories.

Contemplating derailing the next session with a characters personal crisis halfway through a run. Just need to work out how to do it so it's doesn't just become all about me.

i used to have a player that never bothered fillin in his knowledge skills and languages. combat troll every character he played. so i would just give him some random skills as we progressed.
once he made a comment about how horse shoe crabs have blue blood and whatnot so i ghave him marine biology skill and since he had a bad name no one could remember we just called him Hoshu.

so the more incomplete they are the more fun the GM can have fking things arround (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) just fr fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 6 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Dec 4 2010, 08:15 AM) *

On the other hand, the other players might feel outshined and grump about it.

(I've been the "other player" in this scenario. I loved Jim and the amazing things he could do, but it also meant he got all the screen time)

QUOTE (KamikazePilot @ Dec 5 2010, 11:38 PM) *
i used to have a player that never bothered fillin in his knowledge skills and languages. combat troll every character he played. so i would just give him some random skills as we progressed.

I did that with my characters all the time. I'd be able to spend about half of the points and leave the rest for situations like, "Oh, my character should probably know something about that." And I'd assign a few ranks depending on what level I felt the character was knowledgeable in that field. I never used this to twink, e.g. "No one knows this! I have five KP left, I have 5 ranks in this exact field!" More like, "Oh, a computers related question, well my character did go to a tech school, so yes, he'd have 'computer history' at mmm... 2--he was only there two years."

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Dec 6 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Dec 5 2010, 05:32 PM) *
Holy hell, how would you even implement that? Create some kind of spandex body stocking and throw a leather biker jacket over that? That's hilarious and awful.

I've seen it done, complete with S-K patch on the jacket's arm.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Dec 6 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 5 2010, 02:07 PM) *
I firmly believe in the 'show the way' suggestions above.

On top of that, there is the mercenary consideration of Karma awards for role playing. If you keep geting one or two more Karma each run, some might get the same incentive one might find in a glass of beer.

I don't. Not that you shouldn't lead the way, but don't think that it's "enough". You might as easily just annoy the other players. They're there to have fun, and what that means varies from group to group, but even in the RP heavy groups it doesn't include hearing you drone on about your character's backstory.

QUOTE (jaellot @ Dec 4 2010, 08:35 AM) *
Havign a GM on board is crucial, in my opinion, for this. If they ain't feeling it either, that's setting the tone and pace for the rest of them.

This. Sit down and talk with them about wanting more RP.

The question they'll probalby ask is "how".

I've found, as a GM, the answer is downtime. At the beginning of the gaming sessions when you're often waiting on someone or settling in, or at the end once the run is done but they're up for some more gaming I have some things happen when the players are at whatever they call a home.

Here are some examples from my game of stuff I threw at the players, though of course they might not fit in yours. Note that my players decided to live in a relatively nice part of town.

-A local bike gang of fairly well off punk kids shows up. No violence, but they're loud, keep the player's characters up, occasionally leave tire tracks and junk on the lawn, and talk trash if any of the PCs look at them funny or get too close. Since its near their home and they don't want lone star involved, opening up with a minigun isn't a good option, so the players get...creative

- a gift shows up from a "secret admirer" for one of the PCs.

-PCs hear their neighbor giving his wife a beatdown as they walk past one day (expect a variety of responses to something like this).

-a girl selling girl scout cookies shows up at their door (some things fall flat, but sometimes even a little thing like this can lead to all sorts of stuff. This nearly turned into a plot arc.)

-NPC gets a bright idea to pull a practical joke on one of the PCs (again, this one just spiraled and spiraled)

-a high rating spirit that was summoned in an earlier adventure but went free during the summon shows up when it decides to crash at their place for a while as it learns about the modern world

-Someone says they go to a club, we establish which one and roll with it for a bit (they get some more contacts)

Now it's important not to just let one player have the spotlight for too long. Switch between people rapidly, or have them together on things. I find that it quickly pulls players in.

For example I might spend three minutes with the two PCs at the club, spend two minutes with the group launching a revenge practical joke, and than turn to the last player and ask what they're doing.

"Uh, staying in my nice safe bunker".

I say OK and turn back to the clubbers. A couple rotations of that and bunker boy eventually gets out of their hole.

Note that none of that stuff required reading a pile of sourcebooks.

I find it's hard to work a lot of RP into missions. Our modern mode of roleplaying comes directly from wargaming, and when you're breaking into a facility *cough*dungeon*cough* it's only natural to slide into wargaming mode as you make dice roll after dice roll.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 7 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Dec 5 2010, 11:32 AM) *
Holy hell, how would you even implement that? Create some kind of spandex body stocking and throw a leather biker jacket over that?

Shrinkwrap. Just clear shrinkwrap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 7 2010, 05:43 AM
Post #21

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 7 2010, 12:16 AM) *
Shrinkwrap. Just clear shrinkwrap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
And a hairdryer.

+Quote Post
deek
post Dec 7 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 5 2010, 11:28 PM) *
If they're having fun like things are right now, why force the issue?

I agree with this sentiment. Unless the GM and the majority of the party are into changing the game into more roleplaying, then it really just a losing proposition. There are some people that enjoy that aspect of it, but others just want a beer and pretzels game. They are both fun, but if you don't have a majority wanting to roleplay, beer and pretzels wins out. Its just easier to do.

But, if you are wanting to get that in there, I'd say "show by your example" but in moderation. Maybe over time, you'll get more players wanting to be in character.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.