Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character Critique - Pimp my Mage
Cube
post Dec 5 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,660

So I made a thread a few days ago, but I figured that a direct critique would help. I made a Troll Mage based loosely on the combat mage build from these very forums. Does it look like it's okay?

[ Spoiler ]

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eisenbeiß
post Dec 5 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 18,900

150 BP for attributes would never be okay for me.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Dec 5 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm hm...

why is the entry for "magic" show 70 paid points? You included extra spells or something?.

Hm.. and for my taste the attributes are pretty low (especially the Troll-attributes body and strength) - (But i prefer higher attributes and lower money/skills at start anyway...)

But overall looks rounded enough. Has hobbies and interests, rounded equipment (even if sometimes weird numbers and ratings - like the medkit and the binding materials). Also you list things like AR-Gloves and a sim-module... but no comlink?

+Quote Post
Cube
post Dec 5 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Well, what should I do, then? I mean, I'm just going with what the sheet says. Nothing is even capped. o_o

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Dec 5 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

pick stunball and powerbolt instead of stunbolt and powerball.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Dec 5 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

I think he, like me, means: 150 for attributes is pretty low. I seldom see people NOT maxing the 200 possible points out.

Oh and i wouldn't specialize skill at chargen... since they cost only two karma ingame. But whatever fits the character. (A veteran is surely already specialized)

+Quote Post
Cube
post Dec 5 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Hmm...

Well, how would one of you build him? I have no idea how.

I mean, my tradition is Intuition - Willpower...

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 5 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The trouble with copying over stuff is that you can copy over mistakes from the original. Looking at the sheet, you spend 40 for troll, 150 for Attributes, 50 for special Attributes (not 80), 130 (not 136) for skills, 30 for spells, and 11 for contacts. Positive and negative qualities are balanced (magician counts as a positive quality, raising your positive qualities to 35 - still legal). So that's 411 build points, and that's before adding in however much you have for resources.

You do have a commlink, though. "Sony Emperor with Redcap Nix" is your first entry under Gear.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Dec 5 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I wouldn't worry about changing the attributes much. You've got enough points spent on mental stats to bind a few spirits or foci and spending more on Strength really isn't going to be any better than just picking up Athletics would be. Likewise the sorts of armors that a 5+ Body is necessary for are also the sorts of armor that are really expensive or aren't really appropriate for sneakier missions. I think people mostly just have a bias against wussy-for-a-troll builds since they're really efficient BP for BP and are often tacked onto builds that smell of min-maxing. And really, it's not an entirely unfounded position; totting up the points makes the outcome pretty clear, really. Personally though, it's never bothered me as a GM though considering that such a player is taking on the role of belonging to two often mistrusted minorities just to get a couple more attribute points that don't have much synergy with being a Magician to begin with.

+Quote Post
Cube
post Dec 5 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Dec 5 2010, 04:03 PM) *
The trouble with copying over stuff is that you can copy over mistakes from the original. Looking at the sheet, you spend 40 for troll, 150 for Attributes, 50 for special Attributes (not 80), 130 (not 136) for skills, 30 for spells, and 11 for contacts. Positive and negative qualities are balanced (magician counts as a positive quality, raising your positive qualities to 35 - still legal). So that's 411 build points, and that's before adding in however much you have for resources.

You do have a commlink, though. "Sony Emperor with Redcap Nix" is your first entry under Gear.

Oh...

...Well then.

...I had better start over. Meh...

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 5 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Actually, I missed something. He is legal.

Taking a closer look at qualities, his only other positive one is astral chameleon. I had assumed he had 20 points of other positive qualities, since the magician quality wasn't listed with them. So he has -15 from qualities. Assuming 4 points for resources, that makes him a 400 point character after all. Sorry about that.

+Quote Post
Cube
post Dec 5 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Dec 5 2010, 06:38 PM) *
Actually, I missed something. He is legal.

Taking a closer look at qualities, his only other positive one is astral chameleon. I had assumed he had 20 points of other positive qualities, since the magician quality wasn't listed with them. So he has -15 from qualities. Assuming 4 points for resources, that makes him a 400 point character after all. Sorry about that.

Oh. Well then.

...But is he balanced?

+Quote Post
Cube
post Dec 5 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Look, I seriously need help...

My GM wants me to make my Fixer a 4/4 but I don't know how to move all of my points around so it would fit, and every time I try to arrange my points I run out. D:

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Dec 6 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Just drop 2 specializations or a rank from one skill and you should be good to go. Having more than one melee skill AND a Dodge of 2 is a pinch redundant anyway, so taking a rank from just one of those 3 skills would hardly derail the concept you have built up.

+Quote Post
Cube
post Dec 6 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

I fixed it after I noticed some knowledge overflow was eating my points.

Here's my sheet: http://ge.tt/5cP57VA

Just replace Unarmed Combat with First Aid.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Dec 6 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I have a troll mage with bod7 and str5. in the long run, I really regret it, mostly for fluff reasons. we're talking the weakest troll in the world. an average orc and every cybered elf/human beat him in arm wrestling, that's just not right.
Have you tried swichting to Orc?

btw, you can drop the armor spell. with 5 body, you can wear at least 10 armor

+Quote Post
dreddwulf1
post Dec 12 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 19,203

That works unless you are trying for subtlety, then wearing alot of armor fails. There aren't that many places that you can't wear armor, but too much of it draws attention to you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.