Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Spells, The ways of Magic and Imagination
dreddwulf1
post Dec 12 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,203

I posted an earlier version of this asking about a flight spell and got some GREAT results, so I'm starting a new post here. If anyone has some kewl spell ideas or gaming comments on other people's spell ideas, feel free!!! I'll start with this one:

IN another post here I saw a spell called "Vanish, a created spell that works like improved invisibility with silence added to it. Do any of you think this is overpowering or is it balanced?

There is also a spell I was considering called multi-strike. It allows a mage to hit multiple creatures with it, but only a number of creatures can be struck equal to the force rating of the spell. There is a stunning, killing and object affecting version of this spell. How would you guys create this spell, or is it too powerful and Why?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 12 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Technological invisibility - a limited form of improved invisibility, one that only affects artificial sensors. Although, I suspect any GM worth their salt would either veto it or strictly enforce the drain code.
Item invisibility - Concealability code too terrible? Fine! Cast magic on it! Hey presto, that assault cannon is now hidden until you pull the trigger.
Moveable barrier spells - Such as ones shaped to your character. Like a shield, really. But that'd probably be pretty disgustingly overpowered too.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 12 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #3

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

I think your multi strike spell is at best, unnecessary, and at worst, OP. At best, unnecessary, because a caster can already strike multiple targets with the same spell, by dividing your dice pool and adding 1 to the drain for each "copy". And possibly OP, because you're creating this spell to get around that restriction

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Dec 12 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,202

A modified version of the nutrition spell:

Personal Nutrition
Type: P • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F÷2)-3
This spell provides the caster with nourishment, allowing him to live off pure mana. One hit is enough to satisfy the caster for as long as the spell is sustained, with extra hits increasing the quality of the “meal.” This spell prevents starvation and dehydration, but it does have its down side. Those who abuse this spell for long periods of time risk becoming addicted to magical nourishment (see p.247, SR4).

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Dec 13 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Dec 12 2010, 07:32 AM) *
A modified version of the nutrition spell:

I've often wondered about that... what exactly is the downside to being addicted to a magical spell that is beneficial to you?

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Dec 13 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,202

No clue. I wish some of these things were more clear as well.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Dec 13 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

Ritual spells. Spells that are very high powered/unique and must be cast only by ritual magic.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 13 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (darthmord @ Dec 13 2010, 01:56 AM) *
I've often wondered about that... what exactly is the downside to being addicted to a magical spell that is beneficial to you?

When it starts to, uh, overload your aura with.. outside mana contamination, overwhelming your aura's immune system. Which causes essence loss at the extreme level. That's why.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Dec 13 2010, 06:15 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The fluff for that spell already 'explains' it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Besides, you can be addicted to all kinds of beneficial things in reality. In SR, it wrecks your Essence to have any kind of advanced addiction (simsense, drugs, magic, probably even certain activities), regardless of the biological/metaphysical mechanism.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Dec 13 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

I thought up this spell a little while ago, because I was unhappy with the Mist / Shadow spells. Could add the Extended Area option here too.

Fog: Manipulation
Type: P • Range: LOS (A) • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 1

Fog creates an obscuring veil of...fog...in the area of effect. The net hits of the spell will impose a negative visibility modifier to anyone in the area (max -6). Vision enhancements (such as thermo and low-light) cut the penalty in half. The area of effect is Force radius in meters.

The spell has to be sustained to reach full effect. When first cast, the spell will impose a -1 visibility modifier. Each successive Combat Turn that the mage sustains the spell, the spell grows in strength, imposing a further -1 visibility modifer, up to the net-hits-worth of modifiers.

The spell's area of effect cannot be moved, unlike other sustained spells. When the mage stops sustaining the spell, the fog will slowly dissipate, reducing the vision modifier by 1 per Combat Turn.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 13 2010, 07:52 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

This is just a less effective version of the Shadow spell (SR4A p. 211).

Vanish should be all senses, not just Invisibility+Inaudibility.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Dec 13 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Dec 13 2010, 02:34 PM) *
I thought up this spell a little while ago, because I was unhappy with the Mist / Shadow spells.

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 13 2010, 03:52 PM) *
This is just a less effective version of the Shadow spell (SR4A p. 211).

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

They are very similar, but with some differences - some flavorful, some minorly mechanical.

+Quote Post
dreddwulf1
post Dec 13 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 19,203

QUOTE (Aku @ Dec 12 2010, 06:26 AM) *
I think your multi strike spell is at best, unnecessary, and at worst, OP. At best, unnecessary, because a caster can already strike multiple targets with the same spell, by dividing your dice pool and adding 1 to the drain for each "copy". And possibly OP, because you're creating this spell to get around that restriction

I ended up just using area spells that do the same thing anyway. Just looking for a way to use certain spells to hit enemies and not my allies in the same area. It's actually cheaper than the multi-strike, and I hit more targets. SO it turns out the spell is just unnecessarry and too costly in comparison to area-effect.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 13 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Dec 13 2010, 09:24 AM) *
They are very similar, but with some differences - some flavorful, some minorly mechanical.
I don't mind the flavorful differences, but the fogspell probably won't get much use because of its major mechanical disadvantages: It takes several combat turns for the fog to arrive, whereas Combat rarely lasts more than 2 and there should still be an active mystical link to the caster even after he stopped sustaining it.

It's just like Orgasm/Orgy vs. Agony/Mass agony, but with those spells the difference in effectiveness is even greater.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Dec 14 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Depending on the usage, a Fog spell could be quite useful...

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 14 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

QUOTE (darthmord @ Dec 14 2010, 06:56 PM) *
Depending on the usage, a Fog spell could be quite useful...
Just tell me what it achieves that Shadow doesn't.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Dec 14 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Well, it looks fairly natural in the right circumstances, for one thing. Which is handy when you are aiming for negative perception mods (think stealth) rather than negative COMBAT mods. An unusually localized cloud of fog attracts a lot less outside attention (at least in the right weather) than an obviously artificial zone of darkness.
For example, say you need to sneak past a camera. Which is more likely to draw investigation- the camera view goes suddenly black for a while, then comes back, or the camera's vies is gradually obscured by fog, then clears up?

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 14 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Too bad the spell's description contradicts its effects. I wouldn't consider a spell with 1-3 hits darkness. Darkness is a spell at 6+ hits and thus force.

Unnatural Shadows IMHO are just as noticeable as localized mist, unless you really go to town with enlarging the area and then the effect will be even less.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 15 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Dancing Fool (Manipulation, Mental)
Type: M Range: LOS Duration: S DV: (F/2) - 1
Dance Party (Manipulation, Mental)
Type: M Range: LOS(A) Duration: S DV: (F/2) + 1
Dancing Fool instills in a single metahuman target an irresistible compulsion to dance. Each net hit scored by the caster applies a -1 dice pool modifier to all of the target's actions as they shake their moneymaker. At the gamemaster's discretion, a character who suffers a dice pool modifier higher than his Willpower is completely preoccupied and unable to take any action other than dancing. Dancing Fool and its area-effect variant, Dance Party, only affect metahumans.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 15 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 14 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Dancing Fool instills in a single metahuman target an irresistible compulsion to dance. Each net hit scored by the caster applies a -1 dice pool modifier to all of the target's actions as they shake their moneymaker. At the gamemaster's discretion, a character who suffers a dice pool modifier higher than his Willpower is completely preoccupied and unable to take any action other than dancing. Dancing Fool and its area-effect variant, Dance Party, only affect metahumans.

Absolutely love it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 15 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #21

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 14 2010, 08:47 PM) *

Do you get bonus dice for playing suitably danceable music?

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Dec 15 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

wife invented a tickle spell. it's fundamentally the same spell as Orgasm, only the fluff is a tad different.

+Quote Post
jakephillips
post Dec 15 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,852

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 14 2010, 08:47 PM) *

I love this idea

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 15 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Me too. And for the Evil™ Mages add:

Greater Agony (Realistic, Single-Sense)
Type: M • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) – 2
Greater Mass Agony (Realistic, Single-Sense, Area)
Type: M • Range: LOS (A) • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2)
Agony inflicts an illusion of terrible pain on the target. Each net hit scored by the caster temporarily inflicts a –1 dice pool modifier to all of the target’s actions as they writhe in pain. At the gamemaster’s discretion, a character who suffers a dice pool modifier higher than his Willpower is completely incapacitated by the spell.
Greater Agony affects a single target, Greater Mass Agony is area effect.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 15 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #25

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Shouldn't the Drain for a "Greater Agony" be more than the Drain for an "Agony"?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.