IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tha lined coat is so 2050., fashions change right?
Snow_Fox
post Dec 15 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

I was wondering, when SR started around 2050 dusters were the fashion rage which led tothel ined coats- very good for hiding guns but now it's 20+ years later and fashinos change- have you htought of htis in your world? I mean look at the fashions in the RL 1980's any of you still doing terminal mousse abuse, ladies I know it's been years since I wore leg wormers and those rubber bracelts, any of you till wearing them? of course not. If you watch mad men you don't see clothes like that anymore. Hippy fashions of the early 1970's ok low rise jeans are back but bell bottoms and polyester liesure suits?so? Have you thought of these? updated your wardrobes?

Look at Dr Who- regardless of the incarnation he usually looks slightly out of whack, certainly not osmeone who can be unobtrusive (Colin Baker and Christopher Ecclston being the exceptions.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 15 2010, 03:37 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Badass Longcoats will never go out of style.

Public Service Message: TV Tropes will ruin your life. Please surf responsibly. Hey, at least they're honest about it.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Dec 15 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 15 2010, 11:29 AM) *
I was wondering, when SR started around 2050 dusters were the fashion rage which led tothel ined coats- very good for hiding guns but now it's 20+ years later and fashinos change- have you htought of htis in your world? I mean look at the fashions in the RL 1980's any of you still doing terminal mousse abuse, ladies I know it's been years since I wore leg wormers and those rubber bracelts, any of you till wearing them? of course not. If you watch mad men you don't see clothes like that anymore. Hippy fashions of the early 1970's ok low rise jeans are back but bell bottoms and polyester liesure suits?so? Have you thought of these? updated your wardrobes?

Look at Dr Who- regardless of the incarnation he usually looks slightly out of whack, certainly not osmeone who can be unobtrusive (Colin Baker and Christopher Ecclston being the exceptions.)

I think bell bottoms are back now, but instead they're called "flaired" pants or whatever. Of course I'm a nerd so I don't really know anything about this, but it seems about the same...

Are you trying to say Colin Baker didn't look slightly out of whack !??! Cuz that was a goofy looking dude (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) <flame war on!>

+Quote Post
Blade
post Dec 15 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

2070s dusters are nothing like the 2050s dusters with their large padded shoulders, feathers and vivid colors.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 15 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

the duster/coat will always be around. Maybe cut a bit differently, but still around.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Dec 15 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

The long coat will always be around, in some places more so than anything.

A long coat can be a duster, trech coat, etc. In places like SR Seattle it's going to be popular due to the weather (good rain/snow protection and warmth) and others simply for the rain protection from flash showers

Now some places a coat is not the way to go, so you'd stick out int he crowd (try wearing one in Dallas during the summer), and there you will see more form-fitting body armors (vests and FFBA) under light clothing (making hiding that smg a bit harder, so expect lots more light pistols/hold outs on foes there vs the heavy guns of say Seattle's avg citizen)

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Dec 15 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

FFBA under light clothing for hot weather?
I hope you have that climate control built in. FFBA doesn't sound like it's a good breather.
Great for that classic 'Is that a wetsuit under your shorts, or did you anticipate being happy to see me?' style thing as well.

But yeah. Details change. Forms change. General clothing types not so much.

This post has been edited by Mardrax: Dec 15 2010, 12:40 PM

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Dec 15 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I've been thinking about this sort of thing due to something my wife said a few weeks ago...
Male fashions are due for a serious shift if history is any clue.

Look at styles in the 1500s then compare them to the 1600s, then the 1700s and early 1800s. Now look at men's fashoins from the mid-1800s till now. In the early 1800s there was a serious shift in men's fashion, and we've been wearing pretty much the same overall designs for businesswear for the past 150 years. Judging by history, we're due for a shift to something new and even more silly looking in respectable busnesswear.

My wife is of the opinion that this is not the case, and the present stasis will continue because the fashion industry is more stable and unified than it ever was pre-1850.

Like most guys, it's not something I thought about much until this was brought up.

At least we men got rid of tights, codpeices, and highheels centuries ago.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Dec 15 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,202

Man, Codpieces are just so silly.

The SR books have crazy fashion in it. Stuff like that clear body suit that changes opacity at certain points of your body at a mental command. It's just that nobody is going to really go for it.

I mean, ask your group of players "Do you want to be dressed by todays picture of cool or how about some freaky future nearly nekkid skintight plastic sleeve?"

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 15 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #10

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

2055 will never die. No reason to advance fashion if you never advance editions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

More seriously, one plus side of Seattle is that rain gear will always be 'in' (and the nice part of any other metropolitan area is environmental gear will always be 'in'). Whether it's trenchcoats, slickers, rubber suits, ponchos, frogman costumes or whatever, it must have cover to protect you, so it will always be modifiable to hide weapons.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Dec 15 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 15 2010, 04:29 AM) *

Wait! You don't wanna tell me, my good ol' coat's anything but timeless, do you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 15 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

The burberry trench coat for men is pretty timeless but otherwise...I guess I was asking do you update your character's fashions? are you even aware of them?

Yeah flares are 'bell bottoms' and pretty much over, BUT even then they were not as huge as the bell bottons of the 70's and the response now is the 'skinny jean' which is way tight. Loo at the waist line of owmne's jeans. From 'high in the 80's to regular to low rtise-my fav- to rediculously low rise-showing the pelvic bones? designers tried to bring in a very high waist since women weren't wearing out the jeans they had and no one bought into that.

In the mid early 1970's you saw alot of men wearing 2nd hand army jackets-look at footage of senator Kerry at protests, BUT you don't see these today even with many people out of the army from the midlde east.

Look at motorcyle jackets. When I bought my last one they actually asked if I really road, I do and was hsown a smaller section of jackets with harder leather and a more, modern look, the 'fashion ' jackets were just more the classic 'rebel without a lcue' look with a zipper slightly off center but they look 'off' to the modern eye.

For men's fashions from about 1820 on you get dark colors in coats and slacks with some cloth at your neck but even looking a dickensian pictures, mid victorian photos and photos of men from the Edwardian period show differnece. To use the Dr Who analogy David Tennent's suit was mid 1940's suit and very different from Peter Davidson's 1920's cricketer but you're generall limited to the length of the coat, lapels, ties, shoulder pads. You're seeing more casual work places but some things like a tween jacket are timeless.

(I stand on my comment about Colin Baker's look, he did not look just a little off, he looked barking mad.)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Dec 15 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

The cut and color may change, but the same general thing is going to be there. Arsenal stated steampunk was making another comeback into mainstream fashion in the early 70's, so we'd be seeing more longcoats, vests, and other Neo-neoVictorian affectations.

The character I'm playing now, however, is into vintage clothing - Old band T-shirts, jeans, and sneakers.

Nothing like a Led Zeppelin 2044 redesign to show you're truly indie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Dec 15 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

It throws things off a bit, but my guys do try to fit in, if going into an area that they would normally stand out in. This is generally boiled down to "I buy an outfit to wear there, so I don't stand out too bad.", because you can't know what the future fashion holds.

And maybe some of you stopped wearing codpieces, leg warmers, and bell bottoms, but for some of us they are still quite the rage.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 15 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

If you're wearing bell bottoms and leg warmers all together I think 'rave' is the word, like raving mad.

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 15 2010, 10:16 AM) *
The cut and color may change, but the same general thing is going to be there. Arsenal stated steampunk was making another comeback into mainstream fashion in the early 70's, so we'd be seeing more longcoats, vests, and other Neo-neoVictorian affectations.

The character I'm playing now, however, is into vintage clothing - Old band T-shirts, jeans, and sneakers.

Nothing like a Led Zeppelin 2044 redesign to show you're truly indie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Yeah that's more like what I was thinking of.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 15 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I should start wearing my bad ass long coat. It's cold outside and that thing is warm.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Dec 15 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Does anybody remember the Panther Moderns from Neuromancer? They wore some sort of fiberoptic clothing that recorded their surroundings and played it back at different speeds and such. I always really dug the picture that made.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Dec 15 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 15 2010, 03:42 PM) *
I should start wearing my bad ass long coat. It's cold outside and that thing is warm.

I have a longcoat I can hide a pair of assault rifles in, but it's meant to be worn with a suit jacket underneath for the warmth factor.

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Dec 15 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 19,186

Glad this thread popped up. I just make a snap executive decision that, at least in the portion of town I was designing on the fly out of my ass just now, Denver has moved away from "long coat and twin machine pistols" to "buckskin, beads and fringe" - of course, this is in the Pueblo part of town...

I, for one, look forward to playing characters who don't wear the long coat, because it is such a definition of cool. Instead they're wearing jumpsuits, corporate camouflage (business suits) or maybe something more unusual. That Panther Moderns reference is currently baking my noodle to a nice golden brown...

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Dec 15 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Mental note: write a summary of fashion trends for my campaign, and systematically apply it to NPCs.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Dec 15 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Get some of the fashion forward NPCs to make some fun of the PCs for being so "2050's". Might tweak their noses a bit and get them to update their wardrobe. If not, well then you might have a dead NPC but they are disposable anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Dec 15 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 15 2010, 04:09 PM) *
The burberry trench coat for men is pretty timeless but otherwise...I guess I was asking do you update your character's fashions? are you even aware of them?

My character prefers the jumpsuit with some sort of combat vest.

In the mid early 1970's you saw alot of men wearing 2nd hand army jackets-look at footage of senator Kerry at protests, BUT you don't see these today even with many people out of the army from the midlde east.

I can only speak for Germany, but recently we had a little parka revival. Not quite the military ones but a little bit more civilian. One the other hand "Bundeswehr Parkas" in the 70s and 80s almost never came in camo. Right now I own a civilian parka and one M65-styled jacket.

Look at motorcyle jackets. When I bought my last one they actually asked if I really road, I do and was hsown a smaller section of jackets with harder leather and a more, modern look, the 'fashion ' jackets were just more the classic 'rebel without a lcue' look with a zipper slightly off center but they look 'off' to the modern eye.

The classic leather jacket wil never ever be old-fashioned! I'm wearing mine quite often. (Okay, I'm a Metalhead...) As to the real biking ones, there are differences between people riding a racing bike or a Harley Davidson.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 15 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 15 2010, 10:58 AM) *
I have a longcoat I can hide a pair of assault rifles in, but it's meant to be worn with a suit jacket underneath for the warmth factor.

That's pretty much what I have too. I wore it to a job interview a year-ish ago (was about this cold, but was earlier in the year--November?).

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Dec 15 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 19,186

The world of 2070 needs more PCs that either don't care how they look, or who think they're hot shit, but are actually fashion nightmares.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Dec 15 2010, 05:06 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Dec 15 2010, 05:51 PM) *
The world of 2070 needs more PCs that either don't care how they look, or who think they're hot shit, but are actually fashion nightmares.

I disagree. I think the world of 2070 needs more PC's that realize wearing heavy body armor everywhere is a fashion faux-pas, or clothing design visionaries who turn heavy body armor into next year's fall line.

2070 has enough runners thinking they're hot shit, but are actually fashion nightmares. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.