Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rigging and Attributes
nielsk
post Dec 15 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,227

There's an optional rule when using the Matrix that you can use Attributes+skill and successes get limited by the software-level. As a GM I want to use that for streamlining the rules.

When someone wants to remote-control a drone, there's only Command+skill (thus software+skill) but here I do not want to move away from the optional rule as well. Which attribute would be the fitting one? I don't see why one would use Agility+Gunnery when attacking with a remote-controlled drone. So what would fit? Logic? Intuition?

On a sidenote: There's even command+longarms mentioned when a remote controlled drone fires a rifle. Isn't always gunnery used with drones and guns?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Dec 15 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Remote Control is just Command, yes. Jumped In rigging is another story, and I wouldn't mix them up on purpose. If you somehow wanted to incorporate an attrib, it'd probably be Logic. Remote Control is video-game-mode.

Gunnery is used for guns and any other attack, yes, without certain rare exceptions (an Otomo, perhaps).

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Dec 15 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (nielsk @ Dec 15 2010, 02:58 PM) *
There's an optional rule when using the Matrix that you can use Attributes+skill and successes get limited by the software-level. As a GM I want to use that for streamlining the rules.

When someone wants to remote-control a drone, there's only Command+skill (thus software+skill) but here I do not want to move away from the optional rule as well. Which attribute would be the fitting one? I don't see why one would use Agility+Gunnery when attacking with a remote-controlled drone. So what would fit? Logic? Intuition?

QUOTE (nielsk @ Dec 15 2010, 02:58 PM) *
On a sidenote: There's even command+longarms mentioned when a remote controlled drone fires a rifle. Isn't always gunnery used with drones and guns?

Yes. I don't know -where- that rules snippet came from, but its always bugged me, because its flat out wrong.

I would consider using Response+Gunnery. The matrix is supposed to be less dependent on personal attributes - is there any reason you can't use a matrix attribute instead of a physical attribute? Also, rigging/shooting already uses response and sensor, so its a good place to steal rules from.

I also think the relevant attribute would vary depending on the test in question. I don't think you can flat-out replace command with one attribute.

+Quote Post
nielsk
post Dec 16 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 19,227

When RC is video-game mode, then Reaction and Agility would actually fit again for making the tests because that's what you need for video games

I know that the matrix should be less dependent on personal attributes but I don't believe in that. That's the reason why I want the attributes back in. The program-rating in my opinion is about how much you can do with a certain program/how efficient it is. The skill-level says something about how good you are in general with using programs and stuff. The attribute says how creative you are while using them. The skill is the knowledge of the trade, the attribute says how creative you are in using your skills. The software is just your tool. Even in SR I don't see software as autonomous programs - that's what Agents are for.

I am not a big fan of the jumped-in Rigger attributes as well. I understand Sensors+Gunnery but Response as replacement for Reaction and Agility? What's the idea behind that?

Matrix-rules got better with SR4 but they are still not that streamlined (and I don't want to go into the discussions I have everytime with the bunch of computer scientists at my table…)

+Quote Post
CeeJay
post Dec 16 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Nowhere near you... unless you happen to be near Cologne.
Member No.: 16,776

QUOTE (nielsk @ Dec 16 2010, 09:38 AM) *
When RC is video-game mode, then Reaction and Agility would actually fit again for making the tests because that's what you need for video games

Only when you don't use a DNI to send commands to the drone...

QUOTE (nielsk @ Dec 16 2010, 09:38 AM) *
I am not a big fan of the jumped-in Rigger attributes as well. I understand Sensors+Gunnery but Response as replacement for Reaction and Agility? What's the idea behind that?

I think they wanted to substitute the rigger's attributes with some drone stats. And the drone's response is the closest thing you have in comparison to Reaction or Agility.
But I'm not a fan of that either...

-CJ

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.