IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> War! Kills Seamen, Please, think of the seamen!
Neraph
post Dec 27 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,387

Ignoring the multiple grammatical errors and misspelled words I've found (but unfortunately not documented... I'll get to that some time) in WAR!, the book so far is a great read with lots of fun information in it. Let's also ignore the strange availability/cost problem (a 26F drone that's only 1.9k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ? Really?) for the moment. What we're left with is a very interesting problem in the new naval vessels section: ballast tanks. Now, these are not neccessarily indicative of a problem, but they are when they're added to nearly every ship (and by nearly I mean all but one) and only the submarine has life support. What does that mean? That means that when the Aircraft Carrier or the 120,000 metric ton cargo ship submerge all the seamen on board (and passangers, if any) drown if they don't have SCUBA gear.

Really? I mean, come on, they couldn't catch at least that one?

Although the ability to have a missile boat or aircraft carrier rise up out of the ocean as a sneak attack is greatly amusing, it would be better if the ships in question at least kept "skeleton crew" as a more figurative term.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Makki
post Dec 27 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

Why are you running the shadows? - Because with War! my job on the USS Munchkin became much more dangerous and so I transfered into the Seattle shadows.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Dec 27 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

I don't have the 'War' book and can't comment on how ballast tanks are handled in the rules, but IRLballast tanks aren't limited to submarines. They're not large enough to ubmerge the ship but offers a way to balance a ship when it's cargo isn't. It's also a way to improve a ship's handling when traveling light.

In a warship they make sense as they allow to prevent listing when battle damage floods some of the ship's compatiments - without flooding more parts of the ship.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 27 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 27 2010, 03:41 PM) *
Really? I mean, come on, they couldn't catch at least that one?

I am not surprised. Take a look at Running Wild. Many of the paracritter fishes do not have Gills.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 27 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Dec 27 2010, 02:39 AM) *
I don't have the 'War' book and can't comment on how ballast tanks are handled in the rules, but IRLballast tanks aren't limited to submarines. They're not large enough to ubmerge the ship but offers a way to balance a ship when it's cargo isn't. It's also a way to improve a ship's handling when traveling light.

IRL sure. In Shadowrun, however, "Ballast tanks are neccessary to turn any watercraft into a submersible, allowing the vehicle to submerge and, more importantly, rise to the surface afterward." Arsenal, page 133.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 27 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #6

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

It's indicative of the depth of research and thinking that went into this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Seth
post Dec 27 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Ballast tanks are neccessary to turn any watercraft into a submersible,

That may be true (I don't know I will ask my Naval Architect friend when I next see him. However a statement of this form does not mean that every thing with ballast tanks is a submersible. In real life many things are necessary but not sufficient, and I suspect this is true here: for example I think I would need watertight doors, a pressure hull, and a suitable propulsion system to make a submarine, as well as ballast tanks.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 27 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Seth @ Dec 27 2010, 10:49 AM) *
That may be true (I don't know I will ask my Naval Architect friend when I next see him. However a statement of this form does not mean that every thing with ballast tanks is a submersible.

You should have read the sentence you quoted further than the first comma (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Per RAW, ballast tanks are a mod to turn a vehicle into a submersible. Even better, all those craft come with level 2 Ballast Tanks, and "Level 2 is a full pressure hull that allows the submersible to travel to all but the deepest or most hostile environments". So don't piss off the captain, or he'll keelhaul the whole ship (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 27 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #9

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Well! Since required reading for prospective SR authors now is the SR4A base rules and the Almanac, you get what you can expect.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 27 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

Given the amount of canon and rules violations, that would be just formalizing the status quo...

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Dec 27 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Dec 27 2010, 03:39 AM) *

When my father used to work at the steel mill, every once in awhile he and others would have to go out on a raft to remove the screws. Heavy suckers. Anyway, the ships that they had to work on either had ballast tanks or had a lot of their load shifted to the front of the ship in order to raise the screws out of the water so that work could be done. I'm now reminded of the scene from Indiana Jones: The Last Crusader where their little power boat is getting chopped up by a larger ship's screws... I think I could adapt that into a possible offensive strategy in Shadowrun.... something involving a naval vessel with 4 screws with more stern of the other two..... use the forward screws to propel the ship in reverse... use ballast tanks to raise the stern-most screws just out of the water... brilliant!

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 27 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

My entire point is that while in the real world it should be expected to have ballast tanks, in Shadowrun ballast tanks have a specific function, and that is turning the vehicle into a submercible. By the RAW, that 120,000 metric ton cargo ship can rapidly dive to a fair depth, as can the aircraft carrier and missile boat. And everyone on board drowns since it doesn't have Life Support.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 27 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #13

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Even for Dumpshock this is a silly argument.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Dec 27 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

That is probably a case of bad copy/paste and no proof-reading (which sound like the norm for that book...) rather than an intended design feature.

Still, since with Ballast Tanks 2 the ships are assumed to have a pressure hull, the crew - like the cargo - would be inside it and thus not immersed in water. They will run out of oxygen and suffer from poor air quality thanks to the absence of life support, but I don't think they would die immediately by drowning.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Dec 27 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,140

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 27 2010, 09:29 AM) *
Even for Dumpshock this is a silly argument.

Really? I thought it was rather watered down in comparison to some of the others (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have no regrets about that.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Dec 27 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Dec 27 2010, 06:18 PM) *
Really? I thought it was rather watered down in comparison to some of the others (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have no regrets about that.

Careful, Wyld. I wouldn't want you to get in over your head.

Moo hooo hooo ha ha ha

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Dec 27 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I'm trying not to but this whole thread is starting to smell a little fishy.

On the subject though we see what they were trying to do, editing just screwed up on it like it did with a lot of things. At least this one actually makes sense and shows they tried to do some research.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 27 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #18

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I am in agreement with Dahrken's assesment of the situation. Please reference my signature for my opinion on the argument itself.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 27 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Pun Police, nobody move! WyldKnight, Doc Chase, you are both under arrest for Grievous Abuse of the English Language, and Assault with a Deadly Pun. You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive that right, for the love of great Cthulhu at least spare us the horrible jokes. You have the right to legal counsel. If you cannot afford an attorney, well, sucks to be you.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post Dec 27 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

I got to say the tide of justice is hard to fight indeed.

I'll be calling my lawyer now.

+Quote Post
Squiddy Attack
post Dec 27 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,694

Mind the pundertow.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Dec 27 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 27 2010, 03:10 PM) *
You have the right to legal counsel. If you cannot afford an attorney, well, sucks to be you.

"FREEZE! You're under arrest! You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney! If you cannot afford one... tough noogies! You can make ONE phone call! I recommend Trixie: 976-Triple 5-LOVE. Do you understand these rights as I have explained them to you?! Well do ya, PUNK?"

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 27 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

That's swell! No matter how the rest of us shore up our defenses, we continue to be inundated with dry humour. The best we can do is take it all with a grain of salt.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 27 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #24

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

put a trifork in me, i'm done...

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Dec 27 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

Oh my god, I'm being drowned by bad puns.
Some one throw me a float. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.