Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Corporate Script, Is it worth it?
Neruda's Ghost
post Mar 16 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,913

Just wanted to know if GMs use this at all to pay their players with. I know most players are hesitant to accept corp script just on principle and possible data trails, but are there advantages to the script as opposed to certified creds? Is is cheaper, for example, to buy weaponry from Ares using its own script? Are scripts completely worthless outside the corresponding corporation or is there a form of exchange that can be used (either between corps or directly into nuyen)?

I was also wondering if the corporate script represents the evolution of our present day credit/debit cards? Maybe VISA reincarnates after the Crash :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 16 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

BTW: it's scrip. There is no T in it, it is not script. Generally speaking scrip can only be spend in stores owned by that corp. It's not transferrable and spendable everywhere.

By that token it's no more traceable that nuyen, for that matter all nuyen, including certified credsticks are traceable, and it's much easier to do so than paper cash.

No, something should not be cheaper spending corp scrip on it.

The real reason corp scrip exists is so that in corporate enclaves its employess are forced to spend their cash in corp stores and cannot shop and spend money easily elsewhere. It's for the benefit of the corp.

In my games a lot of players flat out refuse runs paid in corp scrip.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 16 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

That said, there is a secondary market for corp scrip. Since each scrip is backed by a megacorp, it's a fairly stable currency (though Fuchi scrip is likely toilet paper now) for secondary trade: you can bribe corp employees with it, or walk into stores for coporate employees that have discounts on that corp's products and buy stuff with it.

[/edit] There are shadow-markets that exchange corporate scrip for nuyen.

+Quote Post
fctarbox3
post Mar 16 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,134

Although items won't be cheaper using Scrip rather than Nuyen, companies are likely to pay you more if you accept payment in scrip, since they're reasonably assured that all the funds are going to come straight back to them... being the only people who'll accept it.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 16 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #5

[/edit] There are shadow-markets that exchange corporate scrip for nuyen.
...at a likely none too favorable exchange rate.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 16 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Completely relative. Check out in the old Corp book. Some non-corp businesses readily accept corporate scrip, and corporate scrip can be worth mroe or less than nuyen. Commission, of course, will be larger when trading scrip.

[/edit]
Example: You're offered a choice of payment for a job: 50K nuyen or 60K in Aztechnology corporate scrip. You check the local exchange rate and see AZT scrip is trading at 1.83 nuyen, with a 10% commission.

Bonus round: does the effect of your run influence the value of the scrip on the market, or would it be more pennywise to brave the trip to an AZT corporate store to spend it?

+Quote Post
CanvasBack
post Mar 16 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,513

It seems like I read somewhere that most corps only accept corp scrip from people with corp I.D., i.e., one of their own employees. They're using it to foster even more control over their employees, not play monetary games. The whole point behind nuyen and the corporate court was that financial transactions would be streamlined, simplified and stable with a (practically) universal form of exchange. But then, maybe my imagination is simply playing tricks on me... :dead:

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 16 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #8

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

In my games, I have the small shops near a megacorp accept corp scrip for bagels, lattes, newspaper, and so on. Even though the corp frowns on that practice, it's worth it for the small shops to make the sales, even though it costs them to redeem the scrip through the black market. It would be hard for a shadowrun team to spend 60,000 in these small shops, so they have to find their own black market connection.

I play that the end of the line in the black market chain is a store manager inside the corp who can fudge his in-company store records, and does so for personal profit.

I choose to make the adventure the challenge in my campaign, not the money handling. Therefore, in my campaign I allow certified cred to be easily transferred on and off of certified credsticks, and to ignore Canon guidelines about tracability of certified cred. This is simply my choice on what kind of campaign I want to run. When I want to make an issue of money handling part of an adventure, it'll be with some technique other than the tracability of certified cred. I do not make players keep track of how many credsticks they have and how much money is on each.

+Quote Post
Limping Jacob
post Mar 17 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,154

Corp scrip is essentially nothing more than gift certificates good for that corp's products (if you can cobble a legit enough fake identity to actually shop online, or in that corp's stores, that is).

However, I could see it being used to buy things other than lattes and other bric-a-brac. Why not buy an Ares machine gun with Ares scrip? Of course, the usual licensing/legality issues and whatnot would apply.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Mar 17 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

The simplest way to think abount it is as a big pile of gift certificates. Killing your fellow man for 10K in honey Banked Ham gift certificates is usually not the thing to do.

+Quote Post
Steel Machine
post Mar 17 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 6,098

In my own game the death of hard currency has yet to happen. I'm not alone, the Wolf and Raven stories confirm that I'm not the only person who sees a need for large amounts of currency to trade hands with out leaving an electronic data trail.

I have a hard time seeing electronic currency gaining affluence, especially given how dodgy the Matrix is even in 206x. Regardless, it makes our game simpler in some respects (My players and I don't always have to deal with credsticks if we don't want to) and much more dangerous in others. (Hard currency brings all it time tested problems, and many a player has fallen victim to fraudulent payments in the past.)

QUOTE ("CanvasBack)
It seems like I read somewhere that most corps only accept corp scrip from people with corp I.D., i.e., one of their own employees.

I believe thats the Corporate Shadowfiles, maybe even the CD speaking. Logically anyone spending Corporate Scrip is subject to some scrutiny, especially if they are spending it in a Corporate Venue.

QUOTE ("Limping Jacob")
Why not buy an Ares machine gun with Ares scrip? Of course, the usual licensing/legality issues and whatnot would apply.

Intresting logic, assuming of course that once a person is on the extraterritorial property that is Ares, that the same liscensing laws exsist. (Of course even if they didn't getting your new whiz bang stuff may be difficult especially if Ares isn't so happy to see you go.)

Anyone else use goods and services as payment?

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 17 2004, 09:57 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

QUOTE (fctarbox3)
Although items won't be cheaper using Scrip rather than Nuyen, companies are likely to pay you more if you accept payment in scrip, since they're reasonably assured that all the funds are going to come straight back to them... being the only people who'll accept it.

I'm starting a campaign soon, and I like what I see here! :D That is the sort of thing I'd count on a megacorp doing. Anyone know where I can find corp exchange rates?

+Quote Post
Steel Machine
post Mar 17 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,098

Off hand I'd say there isn't one. I know there is reference to its exsistance in both Corporate Shadowfiles and the CD, but I have never seen one officially published.

Which makes it even funnier for a GM to use Scrip, because you control the exchange rates.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 17 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

:vegm:

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 17 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Carrying this thought too far could produce some bizarre runs. Of course that's my specialization so. . .
Johnson: "I don't have any Nuyen but I can give you 40,000 coupons good for 1 nuyen off any purchase at any Stuffer Shack."

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 17 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

:rotfl: on that thought!

+Quote Post
Jpwoo
post Mar 17 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,613

I would have to say that as a Johnson paying with scrip either doesn't make any sense, or makes a whole world of sense.

Paying runners in a rival corps scrip might throw the runners and anyone else off as to who hired them.

I heard on the radio about a town, I think in new york state, that has an alternate currency called the man-hour. It is redeemable for one hours worth of work from someone. Dentists and landscapers and all kinds of businesses in the town use Manhours like real currency. Off topic but I thought it was pretty cool.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Mar 17 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (Jpwoo)
I would have to say that as a Johnson paying with scrip either doesn't make any sense, or makes a whole world of sense.

Paying runners in a rival corps scrip might throw the runners and anyone else off as to who hired them.

I heard on the radio about a town, I think in new york state, that has an alternate currency called the man-hour. It is redeemable for one hours worth of work from someone. Dentists and landscapers and all kinds of businesses in the town use Manhours like real currency. Off topic but I thought it was pretty cool.

Taking this (possibly) further OT, of course the idea of alternate currencies and barting systems are a great way to avoid tax. I've seen articles about (relatively closed) communities where this works, relative value differences are taken into account purely by negotiation (I'll do a scale and polish in return for a new car tyre and fitting) which ultimately are likely referred back to a $ value.

One of the reasons that bartering systems work is that to use a alternate currency is generally illegal(*) as it's one of the core controls of government (odd how that's reflected in the discussion regarding scrip...) and the easiest way for them to get revenue (tax). Bartering neatly sidesteps that, although IIRC there has been some precedent (somewhere, US maybe?) on an attempt to tax bartered trade...

Anyway, the idea of runners taking alternate payment is quite a common one - access to a delta clinic, some new tech, favours etc and may be beneficial to the J, especially on a bottom line basis...

(*) EOE. YMMV. I might be talking utter cr@p. etc. disclaimer. blah.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 17 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Wow... deja vu... wasn't there a thread like this a few months ago with an almost identical title, even down to the misspelling of scrip?

~J

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 17 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #20

At least we're consistent :D

+Quote Post
Neruda's Ghost
post Mar 17 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 5,913

If there was such a post the search engine didn't catch either spelling and I missed that posting, a link to that thread might be nice.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Like SteelMachine, I also favor a mix of currency in my games (it adds to social and economic distinctions) and so I sometimes try to introduce scrip into my games. As most have posted here, my shadowrunners generally wouldn't sully their hands with any corp scrip, but I was hoping that someone could come up with an advantage to using it.

I was thinking that maybe an exchange rate between scrip an other hard currencies such as the UCAS or CAS dollars could be used as a way to either launder money or to go through non-Matrix channels (like others mentioned.) I was thinking specifically of underworld finances with ties to corporations and vice versa. Is this possible, or am I still missing something?

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 17 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Here's a trick for all you Johnsons who want to save money. Hire the runners as normal, and offer them payment in script. The trick is that the script will be that of the target corp! The runners won't notice until it's too late.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 17 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

I doubt the scrip would be sufficiently devalued immediately after the run to save money that way.

Messing with different currencies whose relative worth fluctuates takes a bit more consideration.

In target-corp scrip, the currency will be decreasing in value as a result of the run. Chances are, the runners will want money immediately, meaning the Johnson can't wait for the scrip to fully devalue before purchasing it and giving it to the runners. This leads to money being lost between when the Johnson pays the cash and when the runners get to use it.

:nuyen: is a favored currency because it is extremely stable. A competant Johnson would try to find payment methods that cost less to him than their worth to the runners. One example is gear, before the wholesale and retail markups, the costs of most gear are greatly below the price in the book. This way, the corp can spend 300 :nuyen: to make a gun that retails close to 900 :nuyen: and categorize them as 900 :nuyen: each as part of the payment.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 17 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #24

Actually according to the rules in corporate shadowfiles its really virtually impossible to ever impact a corp's fincial figures in any way via shadowrunning.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 17 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Megacorp at least. A subsidary may suffer.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.