Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Damn Shadowrun MMORPG Thread
chinagreenelvis
post Jan 6 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,253

Because an MMORPG based the current gameplay models (WoW, EverQuest, Guild Wars) would be considerably lackluster and awkward, I can't foresee this coming together anytime in the next ten years.

What I'd really like to see is Rockstar Games given the SR gaming license, to develop a Shadowrun game for single player experience with a simple, single-mission style multiplayer component, much like what they have going with GTA, Red-Dead, and soon, LA Noir.

Shadowrun needs a physics engine, and Rockstar has the best. The only thing lacking is the ability to switch between first and third person modes, both in and out of vehicles.

Shadowrun needs a huge, cityscape environment, populated with believable NPCs and policemen that will end you at the slightest infraction. Rockstar has been doing this for years.

They pay attention to details, they make games with re-playability that allow you to make decisions that alter the course of the story in subtle ways, hell - they practically created the "do random missions for people willing to pay you" genre of video games, and they don't skimp on the character development and over-arching storyline. Should I even have to mention the downloadable content and the ability therein to play in the same game as an entirely new character?

If SR ever makes it back to the PC and console gaming arena, I think whoever gets it going would do well to take a HUGE cue from what Rockstar has been doing. Make it a success, and the multiplayer component could easily be expanded to something that resembles an MMORPG and even trumps the current model for one.

There are so many other reasons the Rockstar format lends itself to the SR universe - I could literally go on and on.

Last I checked, Smith & Tinker were sitting on the rights. Not sure how long they'll have them, but they'll go back to Microsoft at some point. I'm sure the chances of Rockstar ever getting involved are slim to none, but it would be a dream come true for me, certainly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jan 6 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Considering the SNAFU that just happened with APB I wouldn't hold your breath. Will likely be a while before any studio tries that again.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 6 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

I still wish they would revive the Shadowrun Online MMORPG Fan Project . . they had a working pre alpha and some really cool design ideas and documents <.<

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 6 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Rockstar gmes, seriosly?

No, what a shadowrun game needs to thrive on a video game port isn't a huge graphics boner - its complex, detailed storytelling and world setting, and the overall mood of the universe that makes it.

Remember the last big 'urban crime game mmo' that came out? APB? And how it flopped?

What you really want is some unholy combination of Deus Ex's Ion Storm team, Bioware's(or even black isle's) storytelling skills, and Ultima Online. Sadly, thats never going to happen.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jan 6 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 6 2011, 02:26 PM) *
What you really want is some unholy combination of Deus Ex's Ion Storm team, Bioware's(or even black isle's) storytelling skills, and Ultima Online. Sadly, thats never going to happen.

Not familiar with Ion Storm, but I would love to see a Bethesta/Bioware hybrid project for Shadowrun. Not sure who I would select for the multiplayer aspect, but that would reign supreme in the single player market.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Jan 6 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,556

Smith and Tinker are also sitting on the Mechwarrior license. Given how slowly the reboot for that seems to be progressing, I wouldn't hold your breath on anything SR related from them.

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Jan 6 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 19,186

I'm not keen on an MMO or on a GTA-knockoff. I'd rather see a game that replicates the pen and paper game more literally. I'm thinking more "Pool of Radiance" than "Elder Scrolls" honestly.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 6 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 6 2011, 01:30 PM) *
Not familiar with Ion Storm, but I would love to see a Bethesta/Bioware hybrid project for Shadowrun. Not sure who I would select for the multiplayer aspect, but that would reign supreme in the single player market.

Well, if you've heard of diakatana, you've heard of Ion Storm. (also thief)

Really, they have one crowning jewel to their name, and its often on sale on Steam in the 2-5 buck range. There's also numerous Lets Plays of it out there, if you wanted to check it out.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 6 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

You'd be better off trying to do a from-the-ground rework of the Fallout 3 engine to Shadowrun. Not sure if it can be done with the GECK tools now or not.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 6 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

Yah, Fallout3 would work too.
Even if i would lik Falout2 better <.<

+Quote Post
chinagreenelvis
post Jan 6 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,253

I've heard good things about Fallout, but haven't had a chance to play it yet...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 6 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Doo eet!
F1 and F² are a bit campy, but good fun.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jan 6 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

The fundamental problem with a shadowrun video game is that shadowrun does everything. A shadowrun videogame therefore has to do everything. It has to be GTA, Fallout3, Oblivion, Dues Ex, Crysis, Dark Messiah, Counter-Strike, Dragon Age, EVE online, Drug Wars, Mafia Wars, Vampire Wars.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 6 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Yes.
Horrible.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jan 6 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #15

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

Ok, not quite a Shadowrun MMORPG, but at least it will be a bit different to the vanilla EQ/WoW-Clone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm looking forward to see how it will turn out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
KamikazePilot
post Jan 7 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 19,206

Given most RPGs are driven by the D&D methodology for XP gains i dont know how you going to port that into shadowrun.

Karma awards are majority social based and GM discression.
sure survival and mission accomplished and subplot/tasks can be hard wired but what about Clever DIY subplots, players freeforming and doing all thnigs clever, roleplaying is a significant chunk of the overall awards so is pushing the story along.

I think there is more chance of a new Mech Warrior game coming out..IF EVER.. than a ground breaking engine that caters for social heavy awards game aspecs of SR.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 7 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #17

Runner

Fallout 3/NV's XP-gain system for passing challenges works well enough.

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Jan 7 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,576

QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 6 2011, 04:38 PM) *
http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

Ok, not quite a Shadowrun MMORPG, but at least it will be a bit different to the vanilla EQ/WoW-Clone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm looking forward to see how it will turn out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

I am as well, FunCom always have REALLY good plot-lines and story arcs. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are quite spectacular.

Alternately I think CCP could also do a good job

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 7 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

It'd get a bit problematic with the needed skill level to pass these challenges.
As in NV you need to have Speech of 100, if you want the end to be without fighting.

+Quote Post
Drace
post Jan 7 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

They could use the system that the genesis did. You gained exp not from repetetive use of an item/skill or generic mob exp, but from doing runs and from doing alot of killing (like every 20 or so people you killed got you one karma). Also, being able to have auto-run generators constantly allowing you to do shadowruns here and there with variations (whats exctracted, from who, where, how etc) would be a blessing, but a nightmare to implement without having them get repetetive (Yet again, anyone who has played the sega shadowrun knows what I mean here, trying to grind up to be able to get into matchstix, or beat thor with no allies)

Honestly, I would love to see a one player shadowrun come out that was story over gameplay, but in all honesty with all the games coming out by Bioware, Bethesda and a few other companies that already do this with huge plots and sub-pots, I doubt we will see it for a good many years.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 7 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (KamikazePilot @ Jan 6 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Given most RPGs are driven by the D&D methodology for XP gains i dont know how you going to port that into shadowrun.

Don't forget the quest to raid Ghostwalker's lair or to slay Lofwyr.

+Quote Post
Finis
post Jan 7 2011, 01:11 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 19,197

I did a huge write up on my wiki about a year ago for Shadowrun as my 'dream MMO' (I play a lot of them)

Some of the sections are still blank, but I think there are some good ideas in there.

Sorry for the link, but not going to repost 15 pages of content here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/wacko/?page=S...ening&v=uks

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 7 2011, 02:21 AM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 7 2011, 12:55 AM) *
It'd get a bit problematic with the needed skill level to pass these challenges.
As in NV you need to have Speech of 100, if you want the end to be without fighting.

Which any social-based character can easily max out early on. I'd make some changes to the system - you'd use xp to 'buy' stats and skills, and the like - but the challenges are a nice touch and it would require a lot of character dialogue.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 7 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (chinagreenelvis @ Jan 6 2011, 02:31 PM) *
I've heard good things about Fallout, but haven't had a chance to play it yet...

Depending on which one you're interested in, they're all on Steam.

I think fallout 2 was my favorite of the older ones. 1 was nice, but the time limit sucked.

+Quote Post
Fyndhal
post Jan 7 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,254

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 6 2011, 07:36 PM) *
Depending on which one you're interested in, they're all on Steam.

I think fallout 2 was my favorite of the older ones. 1 was nice, but the time limit sucked.

The time limit was eliminated in one of the patches (which Steam likely has already integrated.)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.