Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elves, Mortal and Immortal, Confused.
Limping Jacob
post Mar 17 2004, 05:45 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,154

Okay...maybe someone who's more well-read in Shadowrun than I am can clarify this for me. I seem to remember the SR2 and SR3 rulebooks mentioning that elves can live much longer than humans, but not mentioning just how much. Anywhere they clarify?

Also - what's with immortal elves in Shadowrun? I seem to remember reading one novel (Worlds without End, I think it was called) in which immortal elves with ties to Earthdawn (Third or Fourth Age, whatever it is) basically ran the world, along with dragons. Is this canon, or just the novelist's whim? I remember some modules featuring Harlequin, but never bought or played them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 17 2004, 05:52 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Too much... 500 years expected age of Elves, clarified in Tir Tairngire. Immortal elves are canon...

Look around here for awhile

Specifically, here.

+Quote Post
Limping Jacob
post Mar 17 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #3

Target

Ugh, both of those answers make me sad. :( But thanks for providing them, and the links.

500 years is ridiculous. Maybe for special spike baby elves, or something. But for your average elf working as a clerk at Nukit Burger? Senseless. Mayhap a house rule is in order for my games...

It bothers me a lot that immortal elves and dragons basically run the damn world, for various and sundry reasons - such as the fact that it makes the rest of metahumanity kinda marginal. Anyone else feel this way? Or perhaps disagree?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 17 2004, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Immortal elves don't rule the world with dragons, they do each rule some little parts of it though.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 17 2004, 06:10 AM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

But for your average elf working as a clerk at Nukit Burger? Senseless.

Wouldn't that just suck? I imagine elves will have a high rate of suicide at around a hundred. And not every elf knows or believes it.

It bothers me a lot that immortal elves and dragons basically run the damn world, for various and sundry reasons - such as the fact that it makes the rest of metahumanity kinda marginal.

Even if you eliminated all the IE's and Dragons, the corps would just take the same place (they do already). Metahumanity has been reduced to consumers... pretty much what we call civilization. There are more humans in places of than immortals, by head count. But even they are the few elite that rule the huddled masses. Welcome to the Sixth World, same as the Third World.

+Quote Post
Limping Jacob
post Mar 17 2004, 06:11 AM
Post #6

Target

Yeah, true for the most part. The suicide rate thing makes sense, too. Though it seems as though the designers made the decision to gives normal elves those 500-year life spans without giving much thought to the logistics of it all...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 17 2004, 06:14 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

check out Ancient History's site. it's got some basic info on that subject and others related.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 17 2004, 06:15 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

You mean that elves can only have babies every nine years? Or something else? The elf grows at normal rate until 25 when aging slows and "stops" around 30.

[edit]@MFB :P

+Quote Post
Limping Jacob
post Mar 17 2004, 06:22 AM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
You mean that elves can only have babies every nine years? Or something else? The elf grows at normal rate until 25 when aging slows and "stops" around 30.

That'd be part of it. Does it mention the Tirs practicing any kind of state-run euthanasia on old or unfit elves? Are there old/unfit elves, since aging "stops" at 30? Hrmm...

Or perhaps a legal limit on how often folks can procreate? They'd have a serious population problem on their hands after a century or so without some sort of control.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 17 2004, 06:28 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, there are certainly unfit elves--they don't have genes for perfect health, just long life. but, no, all (non-spike baby) elves in SR are, max, 54 years old.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 17 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Or perhaps a legal limit on how often folks can procreate? They'd have a serious population problem on their hands after a century or so without some sort of control.

Not yet and yes they do. Tir seriously promotes homoracial relations and elven females are limited in ovary numbers just like all mammals. While not mentioned, I think that will limit birth rates, in a way. But for now they want people. Tir is seriously under populated compared to, say, France. Sure, you might worry about the population a century from now, but they only make up ~5% of the world population at the moment.

Orks breed in litters of 4 or more every nine months. Tir is much more worried about keeping Ork infant mortality high than Elven.

+Quote Post
Steel Machine
post Mar 17 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,098

I think IE's are like any other plot device, a tool in the tool box to be used when it suits you. I think there are intresting and subtle ways to use them at the peripherals of a game-I prefer not to use them directly.

Also as an aside after a hundred years if you're still flippin' soy at Nukit, then Suicide is probably a favor.

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Mar 17 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Welcome to the Sixth World, same as the Third World.

:D

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 17 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Limping Jacob)
Ugh, both of those answers make me sad.  :(  But thanks for providing them, and the links. 

500 years is ridiculous.  Maybe for special spike baby elves, or something.  But for your average elf working as a clerk at Nukit Burger?  Senseless.  Mayhap a house rule is in order for my games...

Think of it this way: it's not a far future thing to suppose that once...
a) genetic therapy works fairly well on humans
b) genes controlling the aging mechanism are IDd
...that every person, from burger flippers to ditch diggers to CEOs will have 500-year lifespans.

Such immortality might not fit in SR, but I don't see why you should begrudge burger flipping elves their long lives. I mean, it's one thing to note that low lifestyles tend to influence life spans (and you know all those fake butter fumes and deep frier explosions will cull a lot of minimum wage elves), but another to imply that because they're not high class elves, they should not have long lives.

As for IEs and Dragons controlling the world, it's more like they're in positions of influence, and they're subject to attrition and mortal competition.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 17 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

"I was flipping burgers when your Father's Father's Father's Father's Father was in daipers!"

"Tod's Tir - Exclusive Elven-only Trailer-Park"

Dammn NEEDs...

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 17 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Most non-Spike Baby elves will live about 400 years, barring accident, violence or disease (which they are all susceptible to). It's a rare elf that lives for 500 years or more.

Anyways, being an elf sucks. Pregnancy lasts something like 360 days with an increased chance for twins. Who wants to be pregnant for an entire year?

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 17 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Ancient History)
[ Spoiler ]

Spoiling the spoiler...

Vegetarianism isn't necessarily good enough. Some plants are very fatty, and even "good" fats add up after a while. I'd expect all but the healthiest folks to have heart troubles after 150-200 years if they had arterial plaque build up like humans.

But What Can Mutant Italians Teach Us?

Any mammal that has a long life is going to have long-term "maintenance" traits like that, and IEs will need something to cover brain cell loss and accumulating liver damage. I bet those IEs just kept chugging their fine elvish wine over the centuries - that'll add up, too.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 17 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Cray74 @ Mar 17 2004, 11:05 AM)
and IEs will need something to cover brain cell loss and accumulating liver damage. I bet those IEs just kept chugging their fine elvish wine over the centuries - that'll add up, too.

Hmmm... maybe their immunity to alcahol, pathogens, and the common effects of aging comes into play here.

Based on some non-rules text, the IE immunity to alcahol is optional and immediately removes all effects. This allows them to get smashed and then be sober in a few moments when they see the need.

When you throw in that they are easier to heal than regular elves and most have had the time to learn a whole lot of magic, their maintenance could be entirely self-managed.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 17 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #19

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

When you throw in that they are easier to heal than regular elves and most have had the time to learn a whole lot of magic
A whole lot of magic in the sense that the ocean has some water in it.... :D

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 17 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Based on some non-rules text, the IE immunity to alcahol is optional and immediately removes all effects. This allows them to get smashed and then be sober in a few moments when they see the need.

Could easily be a spell effect. They're powerful enough and experienced enough to mask it completely to mundanes (read: mere mortals, rather than non-magic folk) and not be noticed casting it. They might do this merely to preserve their mystique, making it look like they can just shrug off the effects.

Just a theory.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 17 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

I was referring to Harlequin when he was in a troubling discussion with an even more magically significant individual (it includes the second time that Harlequin completely failed to banish this individual). I don't think that instance was just to show off to the mortals.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 17 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

fair enough, haven't read that one.

SR novels are really hard to get hold of in the shops, and I don't fancy paying postage on them from the states!

If its in Harlequin, we're playing it at the moment, so I haven't read it.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Mar 17 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

QUOTE (spotlite)
SR novels are really hard to get hold of in the shops, and I don't fancy paying postage on them from the states!

Tell me about it! Shadowrun in general seems to be an underground thing. I mean, I did not even know 3rd ed was being reprinted until I checked the SR website. And I run a roleplay shop! Our supplier does have Shadowrun but it is not on the 'official' lists, so I didn't realise they had any until last week. (though they still have some of the OLD stuff, under the counter, if you know the secret handshake...)

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Mar 17 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

The scene in question is the opening fluff to Harlequin's Back.

+Quote Post
Dax
post Mar 17 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

Personally, I don't think 500 years is all that extreme as far as Elven life spans are concerned. Tolkien's were immortal for all intense purposes, and in D&D your average High Elf has an average life span of about 1,500 years. Makes Shadowrun Elves look down right short lived compared to them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.