IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which adept power would you pick?, How about a metamagic?
pbangarth
post Jan 7 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

An earlier thread did something like this for cyber- / bio-ware, and the 358 days to Awakening thread got me thinking. If magic were to come, and I personally got access to adept powers, which one would be the one that I wanted most?

For me, the Linguistics power is the coolest. I know it's not the most 'powerful', but I can't imagine how much fun I would have being able to learn a new language in an afternoon's work. And of course, from whom I learned it would be part of the fun.

Obviously, others would also be attractive, but Linguistics is number one for me.

as far as a metamagic goes , I would get Attunement [dog]. I love my border collie. 'Nuff said.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jan 7 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,386

If you don't have any scruples? Commanding Voice.

Anyway, I always thought Linguistics, Analytics, Kinesics, Multi-Tasking, Enthralling Performance and Sustenance hit me as the ones that would be the most fun and applicable to every day life, since they're either handy or something you could build a career with, if not both.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 7 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I like eating too much to go with Sustenance (on the other hand, I like eating good food and I'm too lazy and too cheap to actually do it).
Kinesics is the one that just adds to skill, right? I'd take that for Software.
While this isn't the 'ware thread, I'd look into a Sleep Regulator too. If "magic" can produce the same result then bonus.

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Jan 7 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Hmmm.... hard to pick....but I've gotta say from the perspective of a guy that does mma and other sports Improved Reaction or Attribute Boost Some of the mobility powers are cool too, of course as someone already mentioned, Linquistics is a fun choice....

....this is why i'm not allowed to make adepts before a game.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jan 7 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Runner

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 7 2011, 12:28 PM) *
I like eating too much to go with Sustenance (on the other hand, I like eating good food and I'm too lazy and too cheap to actually do it).
Kinesics is the one that just adds to skill, right? I'd take that for Software.
While this isn't the 'ware thread, I'd look into a Sleep Regulator too. If "magic" can produce the same result then bonus.

Sustenance seems to effectively cut your biological needs by roughly 30%. 1 solid meal can give the nutritional benefit of 3 solid meals and someone who needs 8 hours of sleep can get by on 3, so it's actually the closest thing to a magical sleep regulator analog short of sustaining Stim. You also only need one trip to the restroom a day as a side bonus. Personally, I would just cut my intake severely but eat whatever I want when I do bother to. Not a bad deal for a quarter of a power point.

As for Kinesics, it's all social skills plus some bonuses to beating opposed checks to assess your emotional state, even if your opponent is using technological or magical means. Plus you have some extra options for communicating with anyone else who also has Kinesics, so it's better than a straight Improved Ability boost in a number of ways, particularly since they stack.

EDIT: Herp derp. I meant you will need roughly 30% of what a normal person needs.

This post has been edited by Whipstitch: Jan 7 2011, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jan 7 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

for RL? I'd probably be much more tempted by some TM powers.

Adept powers I'd like: sustenance, increased reflexes, increased perception, commanding voice

metamagics: ally conjuration so my imaginary friend can be real!

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 7 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jan 7 2011, 11:40 AM) *
Sustenance seems to effectively cut your biological needs by roughly 30%. 1 solid meal can give the nutritional benefit of 3 solid meals and someone who needs 8 hours of sleep can get by on 3, so it's actually the closest thing to a magical sleep regulator analog short of sustaining Stim. You also only need one trip to the restroom a day as a side bonus. Personally, I would just cut my intake severely but eat whatever I want when I do bother to. Not a bad deal for a quarter of a power point.

Ah, then yes. It is said bonus cash.

As for Kinesics, it's all social skills plus some bonuses to beating opposed checks to assess your emotional state, even if your opponent is using technological or magical means. Plus you have some extra options for communicating with anyone else who also has Kinesics, so it's better than a straight Improved Ability boost in a number of ways, particularly since they stack.

Ah, right. I keep forgetting.

What is the one that boosts a skill? I'd take that.
(Screw Kinesics, IMO. I don't talk to people face-to-face anyway, and if I'm going to be a drake then they can deal with trying to read my inscrutable scaly muzzle).

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 7 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Metamagics: Centering, Flexible Signature, Masking, Quickening, Shielding, Ally Conjuration, Cleansing, Geomancy, Great Ritual, Invoking, Sensing, Absorption, Anchoring, Extended Masking, Filtering, Reflecting.

Adept Abilities; Combat Sense, Analytics, Magic Sens.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 7 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

From the list of adept powers I´d choose Kinesics, despite the fact that I would learn things I don´t really want to know. Information is king.

+Quote Post
Teryon
post Jan 7 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,072

Id honestly have to go with the same set Im playing now; sustenance, kinesics, linguistics, commanding voice(WAY too useful in crowded places Id say), improved ability infiltration(I loves me some sneaking), multitasking and traceless walk. Either bullshit your way into almost anywhere, or just sneak in.

Magic-wise? Stunbolt, powerbolt, centering, masking, quickening, flexible signature. Boom for the Boom Gods combined with stealth. Though if I were to research my OWN, now, that would be far more fun. Ill take a magically-supported Kryptonian powerset plzkthx.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jan 7 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 7 2011, 01:08 PM) *
Ah, right. I keep forgetting.

It's cool. Details from the "combo platter" powers like Multi-Tasking escape me at times too. The Three-Dimensional Memory power is also one that I forget even exists because the one time one of my players asked about it they were really just asking why they couldn't accomplish 90% of the same effect via Eidetic Sense Memory or simply pulling up scanner suite or cybereye/ear logs. Which, reminds me, Eidetic Sense Memory is nice too, and would be even nicer now than in shadowrun, given that I don't have DNI camera eyes that can store files in my underpants. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jan 7 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm... while the social powers are extreme versatile and cool, i don't think i would get them (I always assume your powers start half from personality/traits and half through training) ... also they always feel a bit "off" for me.

Well... let us assumer it is 6 points magic... i would get/choose:

Gliding (1)
Freefall 4 (1)

Both for awesome freedom (I myself often dream of gliding - not flying like many others)

Analytics 6 (1,5) - oh YEAH... i understand EVERYTHING (I like puzzles and problem-solving... and finding patterns)
Motion Sense (0,5) - I already have a nice hearing and great low-light vision (for a human *g*) - maybe training myself for ultrasound perception or infra-red vision?
Enhanced Perception 2 (0,5)

Critical Strike 2 (0,5)
Smashing Blow 1 (1)
Ok, these two are just COOL... and there is the "Storm" aspect in Summerstorm *g*

Ah, but there so many cool powers to choose from. Can't have enough. (And if powers like the wallrunning or jumping would be worth it... i might want them too... can't i be a mystic adept with some spells? No? Too bad). Getting a bit Faster would be nice too... but i am not the combat-monster kind of dude...

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Jan 7 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,324

My favourit Powers: Eidetic Sense Memory, Sustenance, Multitasking & Linguist ... but realy, there are so many other cool powers, it´s hard to decide!

Techniques: Canibalism, Sacrificing & Invocation

No, kidding of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Techniques are harder to imagin for RL, since most rely heavily on basic magical abilities, but I guess my choice would be Devination

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 7 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Obviously, Adept Wires 3. Unless we get a PP budget, in which case there are other things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 7 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...with my work schedule Sustenance would be perfect as I rarely eat more than one full meal a day and no where near the amount of sleep I need as it is with work and commuting taking about 13 hours out of my day.

Multitasking would also make the work day a lot less easier to deal with.

Facial Sculpt, now that one would be just too much fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jan 8 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I want Combat Sense and Missile Parry. So I can catch snowballs someone aimed towards the back of my head.
and ofc Multitasking so I can work on one monitor and play at the other one. plus the power where I can speed-read

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 8 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Sustenance - mainly for needing only 3 hours of sleep. Analytics - could be very useful. Linguistics - nice when traveling abroad I suppose, but only useful if you actually encounter new languages on a regular basis.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 8 2011, 08:01 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Eidetic Sense Memory and Pain Resistance. I often misremember information, and can never remember where I learned something. Also, I'm horrible with names. As for pain threshold, I have a low one, and being able to take a bit of pain would be nice at times.

As for Metamagic: Cleansing. There are a number of places that I can just feel the suffering and pain, and know that it perpetuates itself unless someone does something about it...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 8 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 8 2011, 03:01 AM) *
As for pain threshold, I have a low one, and being able to take a bit of pain would be nice at times.

I still find it awesome that a character can have High Pain Tolerance and Low Pain Tolerance at the same time (as qualities). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Jan 8 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

That adept power would be enhanced senses. metabolic control (which would also include the ability to reduce your metabolism for eating and drinking or increase your body temperature so you suffer less effects of the so you would get temperature tolerance) and possibly melanin control so I can produce enough vitamin d without burning myself and multitasking.

As for the metamagic I have to go with psychokinesis would be awesome for detective work, flea markets and pawnshops.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 8 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 8 2011, 11:27 AM) *
I still find it awesome that a character can have High Pain Tolerance and Low Pain Tolerance at the same time (as qualities). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I've actually known people like this IRL. When calm and easy going (Most of the time), a complete wimp.

Get him angry, however, and nothing stopped him. Nothing.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Jan 8 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 8 2011, 01:29 PM) *
I've actually known people like this IRL. When calm and easy going (Most of the time), a complete wimp.

Get him angry, however, and nothing stopped him. Nothing.

I think I know that guy..his names Bannon or Bannawick...wait, I think it was Banner...*grin*

+Quote Post
Smed
post Jan 9 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

The last thing I would want would be Sustenance. I have enough trouble keeping weight off already. I want me some of that metabolism boosting Bioware.
For Adept Powers, boost my music skills.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 9 2011, 03:10 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Eidetic sense memory would narrowly edge out sustenance and multitasking. Having a photographic memory (rather than a leaky sieve one) would be awesome. Sustenance would be equally cool - like Kyoto Kid, my meals and sleep schedule are rather sketchy, and needing less of both would be awesome. Multitasking would also be great to have, since it's another thing I normally need to work hard at (I tend to get bogged down in one thing if I'm not careful).

With a full 6 points of Magic to play with, I would get those three, then add Kinesics: 3 (to be able to read social cues better), visual improvements (normal vision - bye bye glasses; low-light vision, and flare compensation), then a point of pain resistance and 4 points each of temperature tolerance and natural immunity. No more worrying about headaches, colds, or inclement weather.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Jan 9 2011, 03:43 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 8 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Eidetic sense memory would narrowly edge out sustenance and multitasking. Having a photographic memory (rather than a leaky sieve one) would be awesome. Sustenance would be equally cool - like Kyoto Kid, my meals and sleep schedule are rather sketchy, and needing less of both would be awesome. Multitasking would also be great to have, since it's another thing I normally need to work hard at (I tend to get bogged down in one thing if I'm not careful).

With a full 6 points of Magic to play with, I would get those three, then add Kinesics: 3 (to be able to read social cues better), visual improvements (normal vision - bye bye glasses; low-light vision, and flare compensation), then a point of pain resistance and 4 points each of temperature tolerance and natural immunity. No more worrying about headaches, colds, or inclement weather.

It is the fact that you never have to change your wardrobe either and you probably ignore the weather except to see if it rains or is sunny. Keeps your electric bills down. Why aren't these added to reduction in lifestyle costs?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.