Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car Jacking, With Hacking
klinktastic
post Jan 9 2011, 04:18 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,442

I was wondering what the preferred car jacking approach is? I was thinking that the smartest thing would be to identify the car you want to jack, follow it, while sniffering signals between the car and owner's commlink. Once you've obtained the commcodes, you probe the target and edit your commcodes in inplace of the owners. Then you remote control the car to a chop shop and tag erase, clear out any linkages to the former owner, and paint it a new color. Thoughts? Is there a better way?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Depends on what you want to do with the car.

Personally, I'd hack it, drive it around in Spoofed mode, filling the trunk up with something nice and illegal, putting it back, then dropping a dime on the owner would be one hell of a fun way of getting someone in deep trouble.

But if you're talking about owning/selling it... Yeah, that sounds about right.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 9 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

AFAIK, you can just scan for nodes, hack, done. *shrug*

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 9 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #4

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Wasn't there shadowtalk in the books about some hacker gangs making a sport out of hijacking people's cars while they are in motion and racing them, with the terrified car owners as unwilling passengers?

-k

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 9 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #5

Running Target

So when a car is "turned off" its actually still on, but running as a hidden node? I guess, would there be a benefit to knowing the admin access codes and passwords? Assuming that info is encrypted, a small time decrypting it could make your life easier. Shit, the firewall might not even get an analyze test. Would it be easier to sniffer and spoof, get it into a jamming zone, then hack it? Then it couldn't send a distress signal if it detects the hacker?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 9 2011, 04:34 AM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Yup. Hackers run the world. The node would have to be on, so that your keyless entry works. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (I realize, not literally.)

It's true that having the valid credentials/codes/etc. would be even easier, but most cars would be easy to take in seconds.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 9 2011, 04:36 AM
Post #7

Running Target

I guess I should add, I'm in a street level game, 320 BPs and we just finished our first run. Now that we're gonna be running full time, I figured since I'm the rigger, wheelman, and hacker....as well as go ganger, I should probably provide group transportation, as well as transport for my dalmation and nissan roto-drone. Just wondering what the best way to about obtaining one in the most realistic manner possible.

I'm a program 3, cracking group 1, going to specialize in exploit and sniffer, with PuSHeD and Math CPU and can go Hot Sim for additional dice. Obviously not worlds best hacker, so I need something that minimizes my risks.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

If your car is attached to GridGuide, then it doesn't even matter if it's transmitting or receiving or anything, you can hack it through that system.

A bit harder than getting through a car's crappy security, but GG is swiss cheese according to ShadowTalk.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 9 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #9

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Just hard encrypt the car for 24 hours, and all on-the-fly hacking is rendered futile. Oh, removing your car's nonsensical wireless and driving a combustion vehicle also helps.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 9 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Well, there are advantages to having a wireless piloted car. You can snap your fingers to have that care come pick you up; that's hugely convenient. And all you need to do is plug the huge security holes.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 9 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #11

The King In Yellow

Well, there are advantages to having a wireless piloted car. You can snap your fingers to have that care come pick you up; that's hugely convenient. And all you need to do is plug the huge security holes.

Patch SR4's security holes? That's impossible by RAW. And yeah, you can have your car drive to you, but you don't need to wirelessly conect all the car parts that way (which is nonsensical anyway since the car's interior isn't very well suited for radio transmissions and jamming will make your car die).

Just remove that crap and hardwire your car to a decent all-6 hard encrypted, high-security commlink for all your wireless communications needs.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 9 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #12

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 9 2011, 05:18 AM) *
Thoughts?

Rating 2 Jammer to supress the RFIDs but not the car (or anyone else) until you are done.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 9 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 11:31 AM) *
[…] driving a combustion vehicle also helps.

Not really, those are completely electronically controlled even today.

And of course, since Recharge, there is no point anymore, at all. There are no fuel stations in the outdoors, just conjurers on duty.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 9 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 04:36 AM) *
Patch SR4's security holes? That's impossible by RAW. And yeah, you can have your car drive to you, but you don't need to wirelessly conect all the car parts that way (which is nonsensical anyway since the car's interior isn't very well suited for radio transmissions and jamming will make your car die).

Just remove that crap and hardwire your car to a decent all-6 hard encrypted, high-security commlink for all your wireless communications needs.

Not all that hard to patch the holes, really... Definitely not "Impossible by RAW" as you make it out to be... The only drawback is that it could more than double (or even triple) the price of the car to patch the holes effectively, depending upon what process you used. Simply applying Strong Encryption will usually do the trick (Most thieves will not spend hours trying to break into a vehicle, tehy will go for the easy marks instead). It all really depends upon how difficult a task you want the intrusion to be.

Most people do not go to the trouble to harden their vehicles, because of the price involved. That is a much bigger difference than it being impossible to accomplish.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 9 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #15

The King In Yellow

Not really, those are completely electronically controlled even today.

But they do not depend on GridGuide to power themselves and hence can be cut off and run as a closed system. Barring Neomancers with the hack anything on touch skill, it's impossible to hack then.

And of course, since Recharge, there is no point anymore, at all. There are no fuel stations in the outdoors, just conjurers on duty.

Yeah, fair enough.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 9 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #16

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 06:02 PM) *
But they do not depend on GridGuide to power themselves […]

They all rely on GridGuide for to realtime traffic data and routing, by WiFi access.
GridLink, is an optional modification that can be added to any vehicle, electric, fuel-cell or combustion – since the latter are hybrids. Aside from drawing power, it allows also for communication, similar to SkinLink.

By default, electric vehicles don't feature it – and since they have the exact same performance, range and handling time of their combustion counterpart in SR, there is no point not getting one. In fact, with a roll-up solar tarp in the trunk (even standard car paint has basic photovoltaic properties in SR4), you are better off even in the countryside when the Recharge mage has his day off. Of course, War! never would bother to stat or even feature such a useless item like that – magic is better anyway.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 9 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

They all rely on GridGuide for to realtime traffic data and routing, by WiFi access.

which can be done via a commlink that's not connected to the operational parts of the car, can it? It's not like a poilot system suddenly dis unable to function independently anymore. But you're right, it's probably illegal.

Of course, War! never would bother to stat or even feature such a useless item like that – magic is better anyway.

It's so easy to write. No thinking required why it works as it does. And you need no research.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 9 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Ok, so if one of you was GM'ing a game, the hacker wanted to steal a van for future use in the campaign. What kind of roles would you required to hack it?

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 9 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

The hacking isn't so hard - civilian cars would have a device rating of 3.

As far as I know however, there aren't any rules to turn your hacked account into a "legitimate" account, thereby permanently changing the legitimate owner of the car's system. You might want to rip out the old node and put in your own chipset.

And don't forget to kill the old RFIDs, put in your own to prove you're the "owner", and get fake papers/deeds/licenses for the car.

+Quote Post
Squiddy Attack
post Jan 9 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,694

QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 9 2011, 12:01 PM) *
Ok, so if one of you was GM'ing a game, the hacker wanted to steal a van for future use in the campaign. What kind of roles would you required to hack it?

Exploit, Control Device, and spoofing. Unless you've got the owner's access ID; then you can just spoof commands.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 9 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 9 2011, 02:14 PM) *
The hacking isn't so hard - civilian cars would have a device rating of 3.

As far as I know however, there aren't any rules to turn your hacked account into a "legitimate" account, thereby permanently changing the legitimate owner of the car's system. You might want to rip out the old node and put in your own chipset.

And don't forget to kill the old RFIDs, put in your own to prove you're the "owner", and get fake papers/deeds/licenses for the car.

How much would replacing the node be? Say I have access to a go ganger's chop shop. It won't be free, but I can get it done for me.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 9 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

I mean, get the price of a 3/3 commlink + Pilot, Firewall, etc.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 9 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

Build it from DIY components and you save money.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 9 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Seems like you could just get into the admin account after you've stolen and decrypted the owner's commcodes and passcodes. Then you could just edit the shit of out of that admin account and replace it with your info. Obviously wipe it down with a TAG eraser, plant your own TAGs on it. Get some licenses for it. Shit, hunt down the VIN, edit the data trail that the car was bought by you, not the original owner. Wouldn't that be easier? Or well at least cheaper.

+Quote Post
Squiddy Attack
post Jan 9 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,694

Of course, you can also get into the admin account without stealing the owner's codes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.