IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Immortal Elves from Earthdawn to Shadowrun.., or any other concept for bringing Earthdawn magick to Shadowrun..
V-Origin
post Jan 11 2011, 07:06 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,942

Ok so I am planning to run a new major campaign where my toxic mages will be fighting another group of NON-TOXIC mages which are more insidious than our group.

Cos this new group is a cabal of immortal elves from EarthDawn! And these immortal elves use blood magick from the time of Earthdawn aka Harlequin! Help!

What kind of history do you think this cabal of immortal elves will have? What ideas or storylines will you put in the history of these immortal elves which explain why they have survived the passage of time till SR 2072?

Please whatever ideas you have, please ensure that these immortal elves are nasty and powerful enough to give my toxic mages nightmares.. They are getting a bit too arrogant for my tastes..

Hehehhehehe...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Jan 11 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

In my opinion the best way would be ot have these guy being just as mentally alien as the insects spirits. They've been living for thousands of eyars an have outlived more cultures and civilization than many know have existed. Regular peoples are ephemeral insects to them. There's an awfull lot of them so they have to be cautious, but beyond that they have absolutely no inherent worth beyond being the raw materials for whatever those guys want to achieve...

Eimply put, I don't think someone can live that long without taking either two paths : either freezing your mind into a stasis, or changing into somethign that can longer be considered human.

And whatver aim these guy have, ti should be big - otherwise they'd have walked the Tir Taingire/Tir Na Nog route.

I'd also suggest that in parallel you use some normal toxics, to remember your players the sort of tightrope they're walking on. They're using powers that canon says metahumanity was never designed to handle. Things that flies straight in the face of the wxay magic normaly operates.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 11 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Be sure to search for the thread that covers a fair bit of this.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 11 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

Know Your History

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 11 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Sorry. Double post.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 11 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

While I read the OP and go, "Wha? No, just no" because it isn't ShadowRun (immortal elf blood mages? Really? There aren't that many immortal elves to begin with, where do you find a who cabal of blood mage ones?) I can at least offer up this just to give your blood mage cabal more of a ... bite.

Nothing like a cabal of cannibalistic immortal elf blood mages to ruin your party's minds. The flavor behind the Nistri actually works better with immortal elves involved (who else would Nistor, the Cannibal Dragon, have taught his secrets to, besides his dragon brothers?).

+Quote Post
V-Origin
post Jan 12 2011, 03:21 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,942

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 12 2011, 12:02 AM) *
Be sure to search for the thread that covers a fair bit of this.

can you help me locate that thread thanks..

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 12 2011, 03:44 AM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

I forget the OP. It was before Xmas, and it was something like 'immortal elf PC?'.

+Quote Post
TheWanderingJewe...
post Jan 12 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,025

sorry....the IE's stay in the background in my game.....

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 12 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #10

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Nothing like a cabal of cannibalistic immortal elf blood mages to ruin your party's minds. The flavor behind the Nistri actually works better with immortal elves involved (who else would Nistor, the Cannibal Dragon, have taught his secrets to, besides his dragon brothers?).

1) All immortal elves are blood mages. All of them. They all know the rituals. Because blood magic was very common in the 4th age.
2) All dragons are cannibals. That's a dragon tradition. When the spirit's gone, the fight over the possessions of the dead dragon over, the winner may do with the body as he pleases. He can keep the bones, eyes or whatever strikes his fancy, and will eat the rest. Given they know how magic works, dragons also are autocannibalistic, eting their claw snippets and skins when growing into a new stage. Hatchlings devour their siblings. Wyvern are predator and prey alike. It's neither a big deal for dragons nor a particularily well-kept secret. Dragon taboos in SR are about crossbreeding with lesser races and joining pacts with seriously nasty spirits and the Horrors. There's a traitor dragon for each of these sins, too, but I don't think bestiality or Horror pacts are what you watt o go for.

Also, bringing Vampire stuff into SR always falls flat on it's face because SR and WoD use different morals to evaluate the PCs and Game World. SR is a far less western-oriented moralistic world than WoD (o as well as n) is.

+Quote Post
Mesh
post Jan 12 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,443

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jan 11 2011, 03:46 AM) *
Eimply put, I don't think someone can live that long without taking either two paths : either freezing your mind into a stasis, or changing into somethign that can longer be considered human.

Really? There are only two kinds of immortals? You should check out The Man from Earth. It's on Netflix watch instantly. Patty, this would give you some ideas on making your plot believable.

Mesh

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jan 12 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

My Obsidiman Warrior was a blood mage in Earthdawn. He had /many/ blood charms.. and used them on a regular basis. I mean, Last Chance? Absorb Blow.. if Shadowrunners had access to that stuff they would salivate.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 12 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 12 2011, 05:54 AM) *
1) All immortal elves are blood mages. All of them. They all know the rituals. Because blood magic was very common in the 4th age.

This I didn't know.

2) All dragons are cannibals. That's a dragon tradition. When the spirit's gone, the fight over the possessions of the dead dragon over, the winner may do with the body as he pleases.

Again, didn't know. I haven't seen any reference to it (other than they fought over the possessions, but never saw anything about the body). Still, if you look at what I meant by it, you'll see that I did say ate the sacrifice alive rather than waiting for someone to kick the bucket.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 12 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,202

Yeah, blood magic isn't even inherently evil (aside from what Street Magic says), it's just easily abusable which gets you that whole power corrupts thing going on.

Also, all dragons supposedly know blood magic but they rarely have need for it, the dragon heart was made via blood magic for example.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 12 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Jan 12 2011, 12:27 PM) *
Yeah, blood magic isn't even inherently evil

I know that. The group I wrote up isn't evil either. They just do things that normal people go, "wait, you do what!? And they're willing!?"

+Quote Post
Sephiroth
post Jan 12 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,539

In Earthdawn, you have life blood magic, and you have death blood magic. Life magic was, IIRC fairly acceptable in the 4th World. I believe death magic, which is pretty much just what SR blood magic is, had almost as bad a rep as in the 6th World.

Just keep in mind that Earthdawn blood magic !≡ Shadowrun blood magic

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 12 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Jan 12 2011, 01:27 PM) *
Yeah, blood magic isn't even inherently evil

Really? You sure about that?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 12 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #18

The King In Yellow

In Earthdawn, you have life blood magic, and you have death blood magic. Life magic was, IIRC fairly acceptable in the 4th World. I believe death magic, which is pretty much just what SR blood magic is, had almost as bad a rep as in the 6th World.

Thera was built on death magic and enslaving spirits. Then again, nobody liked Thera, for good reason.

Really? You sure about that?

Actually, yeah. The Ghost Dance was blood magic too, and blood magic created the Dragonheart, which stoppped the Horror Invasion plot. Blood Magic is a tool. Like most tools, it is neither good nor bad. Shadowrun is not "what is your biblical sin" WoD. Shadowrun is a world where morals is 'meh'.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 12 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

I guess you could argue that the Ghost Dance *wasn't* evil, but it's not a great example. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 12 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #20

The King In Yellow

Well, it didn't have the purpose of opening gates to hell, unlike the Gestalt's doings.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jan 12 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

And tons of life/death magic was used to screw Horrors over in ED.

I mean the opening story is about a Kaer that sacrified every living being in the Kaer to trap the horror.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 12 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Really makes you think about the nature of evil, doesn't it? … Nah. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 12 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

As I said: shadowrun is an amoral universe. In essence, there is no 'good' and 'evil' in SR. SR is neither WoD nor D&D. Not even the Horrors are truly evil. They're just ... hungry.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 13 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 12 2011, 04:12 PM) *
Actually, yeah. The Ghost Dance was blood magic too, and blood magic created the Dragonheart, which stoppped the Horror Invasion plot. Blood Magic is a tool. Like most tools, it is neither good nor bad. Shadowrun is not "what is your biblical sin" WoD. Shadowrun is a world where morals is 'meh'.

The blood magic they reference in Street Magic is low blood magic, like the kind Aztlan uses. The blood magic used by the immortal elves and the like is "true" blood magic, the kind that fought the Horrors and gives elves their cool horns/spikes things.
It's a little more clear in Earthdawn, from what I understand.

In any event, the use of either creates mana spikes that bump up the time-table to Apocalypse. It's why the bid D put a bounty on them.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jan 13 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #25

The King In Yellow

The blood magic used by the immortal elves and the like is "true" blood magic, the kind that fought the Horrors and gives elves their cool horns/spikes things.

That was a special ritual by Alachia to make the Blood Wood less tasty looking to the Horrors, and worthy of a 40K chaos sorcerer, which is why nobody will ever let her be in command again. Ever. And why Oakforest will freak out on you if you mention roses.

In any event, the use of either creates mana spikes that bump up the time-table to Apocalypse. It's why the bid D put a bounty on them.

That's true if any magic, though. The Tir veil, the Tibet shroud, or Hong Kong's geomantic architecture warfare also atracted Horrors.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.