IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Talislegging Players, Tips? Tricks? General Advice?
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,202

So my thread about my Playable Dragon Character using the April Fools material from 2008 received some nice attention and helped me make something that I thought would work well in a 400 BP environment. Recently I've gotten the chance to play such a character... but in a 900 Karma environment using the old karmagen rules, as my GM didn't want to use the new ones.

This resulted in my character being fairly strong since I didn't have to pay for my metatype (Eastern Dragon, 325 BP).

So in an effort to dump a bunch of karma elsewhere and to make the character more interesting I invested a large chunk into talislegging.

Right now the character has the following:

Survival 3 (For finding ingredients)
Zoology 3 (For finding ingredients)
Botany 3 (For finding ingredients)
Metallurgy 3 (For finding ingredients)
Geology 3 (For finding ingredients)
Artisan 3 (For making Purty foci)

Arcana 6 (Focus Design)
Enchanting 6 (Artificing)

A rented Talislegger shop (Security 4, Necessities 4, Neighborhood 2)

A group contact (My Customers, 3/2, 100-1000 Members, Most have Magical Talent)

And finally, the Enchanting Shop, and Talislegger Kit tools.

Im looking for some tips, tricks, and advice to make her business flourish. I've taken the Day Job quality (10 hours a week), and a somewhat modified Dependant quality (live in boyfriend/business partner) along with In Debt (investors in the business, they want to see cash returns etcetera).

Since she is a dragon she can use her nail clippings & scales etc as virgin telesma but obviously that'll create a material link to her and as such isn't a viable option for marketing. Oh, things she makes for herself will probably be made with suchlike but she'd have to be offered an outstanding sum to use them for anybody else.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Jan 11 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

Flourish? Day job quality? By RAW, income is pretty much fixed, save for the Fame quality.
Interesting idea, but you're going to have to talk to your GM about advancing it.
I'd say working on improving the contact (nice idea there) and working to improve the shop lifestyle's neighbourhood would be the ways to go.
That said, be wary to not cross into carjacking>shadowrunning->profit area, unless your game allows for it.

On a sidenote; a great dragon with a boyfriend? How does that... Nevermind, I don't want to know.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jan 11 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

First of all, make sure your GM accepts PC with such side activities.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Thats all been given the green light. The character is a Talislegger by day bodyguard/runner for Saeder-Krupp at night.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 11 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Well, you could of course specialize all those skills/knowledges to Gathering/Harvesting/Refining. That's a fairly cheap +2 dice to all of them.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 11 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Why is your GM dumb? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Anyway… do you still need ideas about where to waste karma, or are you good now?

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

@ Ascalaphus: Ahh, I should have thought of that myself, good advice.

@ Yeremeyahu: I think I'm good now, though I'll be glad to hear your ideas. Right now the character has 16 Dice for Sorcery/Conjuring and 19 Drain dice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 11 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 12,442

Two questions you need to ask yourself about your character to make this somewhat playable:

1. Why would a person with a legit business run the shadows? If's he's pulling in a steady income, why risk it? If you pull down the 5.0 on your ass, shit or even another megacorp, it's going to hurt your business. Is your business currently struggling? He's turning to the shadows to save his business? Maybe a little bit more believable, but you better have a good hacker and get some good disguise spells and skills. Otherwise, all that nuyen and karma is going to get blown to shit once your ID gets made.

2. How do you invision this working out in the game? The other PCs aren't going to want to sit around and watch you make a shit ton of nuyen and spend a bunch of time making talismen. I would work with your GM to figure out how to incorporate it into your game without messing with your actual game play sessions. Be it that you handle it via email between missions or that you come an hour early to roll your stuff out, doesn't matter. But something that is worth discussing and considering if you want the game to last more than a month.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 11 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

Core book Talismonger has a healthy amount of Etiquette and Negotiate so you don't get cheated by that cute elf in the tank-top. I would normally recommend some Intimidation so that rough and tumble troll can't squeeze a few more nuyen out of you, but you're a fragin' dragon, so I don't think that'll be an issue.
The Magical Goods Value Knowledge skill should also come in handy.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 11 2011, 09:54 AM) *
Two questions you need to ask yourself about your character to make this somewhat playable:

1. Why would a person with a legit business run the shadows? If's he's pulling in a steady income, why risk it? If you pull down the 5.0 on your ass, shit or even another megacorp, it's going to hurt your business. Is your business currently struggling? He's turning to the shadows to save his business? Maybe a little bit more believable, but you better have a good hacker and get some good disguise spells and skills. Otherwise, all that nuyen and karma is going to get blown to shit once your ID gets made.

2. How do you invision this working out in the game? The other PCs aren't going to want to sit around and watch you make a shit ton of nuyen and spend a bunch of time making talismen. I would work with your GM to figure out how to incorporate it into your game without messing with your actual game play sessions. Be it that you handle it via email between missions or that you come an hour early to roll your stuff out, doesn't matter. But something that is worth discussing and considering if you want the game to last more than a month.
For 1. The character's investors are Saeder-Krupp, which is why she does runs and bodyguard jobs for them. She happens to owe them a bunch of money, and so she has a good reason to be in the party (everybody works for Saeder-Krupp).
2. Well there are really only a few things a magician can do with downtime, cast ritual spells, bind spirits, or work on talislegging. In every run there is some downtime, I dont expect to do any of this in such a way as to say "wait up guys, I need to spend a day or so working on this focus formula."
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 11 2011, 09:54 AM) *
Core book Talismonger has a healthy amount of Etiquette and Negotiate so you don't get cheated by that cute elf in the tank-top. I would normally recommend some Intimidation so that rough and tumble troll can't squeeze a few more nuyen out of you, but you're a fragin' dragon, so I don't think that'll be an issue.
The Magical Goods Value Knowledge skill should also come in handy.
Thats a thought, I've got the Magical Background skill right now. Hrm, I might be able to break it into Magical Background and Magical Goods, I'll talk to my Gm and see if the two areas are inclusive or exclusive and require separate skills.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 11 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

The Corebook Talismonger has both Magical Background and Magical Goods Value of three and six, respectively, if that helps any.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 11 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Jan 11 2011, 06:20 AM) *
Since she is a dragon she can use her nail clippings & scales etc as virgin telesma but obviously that'll create a material link to her and as such isn't a viable option for marketing.

I believe the spell you want here is Sterilize. It breaks the material link, but doesn't ruin the material itself. Blood is still blood, scales are still scales, etc.

All sterilize does is make it so that it can't be used in ritual sorcery (but DNA tests work just fine) which is perfect for enchanting.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 11 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Runner

Are you sure that Sterilize doesn't ruin the telesma value? As a GM I'd say there's no free lunch like that.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 11 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 11 2011, 10:44 AM) *
Are you sure that Sterilize doesn't ruin the telesma value? As a GM I'd say there's no free lunch like that.

AFB.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 11 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #15

Runner

Well, Sterilize doesn't really say one way or the other whether it affects telesma. Since it's rather comparable to pouring extremely aggressive cleaning fluid over stuff though (which ruins ritual links for exactly the same reason), I'd say that anything that can destroy a ritual link also ruins a telesma.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 11 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Cleaning solutions, however, clean up blood and other debris by (partially) dissolving it, also rendering it useless for DNA testing. I'll crack open SM when I get home.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sterilize @ Street Magic Page 174)
Sterilize (Physical, Area)
Type: P • Range: LOS(A) • Duration: I • DV: (F÷2)+2
This area-effect spell kills bacteria and other micro-organisms and destroys material such as skin flakes, stray hairs, and spilled blood. Organic material affected by this spell cannot be used as a material link (see p. 28). Because the spell does not affect biomaterial attached to a living being, it does not kill the various helpful and harmful microorganisms living inside a creature. Each hit scored by the caster inflicts a –1 dice pool modifier to any skill tests made to collect and use sterilized biomaterial for forensics or material link purposes. Shadowrunners often employ this spell to eliminate incrimi-
nating trace evidence, especially if blood has been spilled.

Im not sure, I think its likely that it would destroy the value of the telesma, at the very least it might knock down its quality by a few notches.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 11 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Ah, my mistake, it does destroy material.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Jan 11 2011, 06:50 AM) *
Flourish? Day job quality? By RAW, income is pretty much fixed, save for the Fame quality.
Interesting idea, but you're going to have to talk to your GM about advancing it.
I'd say working on improving the contact (nice idea there) and working to improve the shop lifestyle's neighbourhood would be the ways to go.
That said, be wary to not cross into carjacking>shadowrunning->profit area, unless your game allows for it.

On a sidenote; a great dragon with a boyfriend? How does that... Nevermind, I don't want to know.

Yes, we decided that average materials would be covered by the income provided by Day Job quality, but custom made things that cost karma to create (foci etc) would provide a nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) bonus.

Increasing the neighborhood of the talismonger shop is also a good idea, I think I'll be putting more into that, and improving the contact as well.

As for Great Dragon with a Boyfriend, well, not a great dragon, just a dragon, and the Boyfriend is a Drake Magician.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jan 11 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

for any PC with SINer I recommend the Erased positive quality. Make it a Hacker friend who owes you something, maybe you set him up with your sister (probably not for our dragon) or stuff like that. He doesn't have to be a contact, but a hacker is always a useful connection...

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jan 11 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Start making Refined Materials and Orichalcum and retire from the shadows. Even with 30 points in In Debt you will be able to work that off in about 3-6 months of Orichalcum manufacturing without having to run the shadows for S-K at all. Refined materials take care of the monthly interest.

I'm sure your clutch daddy can find better uses for you than running the shadows. At least until you grow up and move out of the lair.

Also, why make an Eastern Dragon that is beholden to S-K? Could be more thematic to be beholden to Wuxing or one of the other Chinacorps. Or perhaps even to one of the Warlords. Just curious.

+Quote Post
Ramaloke
post Jan 11 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Well, I dig Easter Dragons more and I thought it would be more interesting if she was obviously of Asian descent and living in Germany.

Shes already out of the "clutch" so to speak, and is an adult dragon, but not a great dragon. As for why she continues to run the shadows, well, being all staid and proper and owning a business is well and good but its probably not terribly exciting. I figured that an adult dragon would still be somewhat brash and want to be challenged, they are predators after all not sheep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) .

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 11 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Jan 11 2011, 11:46 AM) *
As for Great Dragon with a Boyfriend, well, not a great dragon, just a dragon, and the Boyfriend is a Drake Magician.

Just as dragons are a girl's best friend, girl dragons are a guy's wet dream. ;P

QUOTE (Ramaloke @ Jan 11 2011, 12:04 PM) *
I figured that an adult dragon would still be somewhat brash and want to be challenged, they are predators after all not sheep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) .

Reminds me of this journal.
"I am so tired of this liquid diet that I've cried almost three nights in a row. [...] So, because I am so desperate to eat, I have actually decided on my own volition to draw a vore piece of [my dragon eating your character]."

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 11 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 11 2011, 07:13 PM) *
Just as dragons are a girl's best friend, girl dragons are a guy's wet dream. ;P

You're just a tad strange sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Seriously though: why not a non-monetary debt to S-K as character motivation? Perhaps they saved your life from someone and you feel obligated to pay them back in service. Getting money is easy, but playing a character who actually likes S-K is kinda kinky.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 11 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

On a side note, how did you get around the fact that dragons can't talk? Even Great Dragons in human form have to use draconic mind speech.
I'm not asking this to be ornery, my players are two sessions away from being hired by Herr Brackhaus and I need to know how to cover that particular meet.

I know it's in Dead Air, but more Shadowrun novels are on next month's paycheck.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.