Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strange Weapon, Please help me stat them
Kesendeja
post Jan 18 2011, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,226

I have a character who uses an odd weapon. A pair of fans. One set is all metal with sharpened edges. The other set are silk with only the tips sharpened. I need to stat these up, and am at a loss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 18 2011, 05:15 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Rattan Stick is (STR/2)P; I think that's about the best you'll get for a small clubby thing with sharp bits. AP 0 for being metal, Reach 0 for the size. You could argue either S or P, but metal + sharp seems enough for P.

Basically, same as a knife or sap without the +1 DV.

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Jan 18 2011, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 19,186

I'm AFB, but I'd recommend using the stats for hand razors. Very similar effect, I would imagine.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Jan 18 2011, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

You'll need t<o set of stats :
one when open and using them to slice at the ennemy which should be roughly on par with hand razors or a small knife. Physical damage for sure.
Another when folded, which should be about like a sap or short club dependign on the fan's size. That one would be a blunt weapon dealing mostly stun damage.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Jan 18 2011, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

Asian style fans come in really 2 basic sizes (that are seen somewhat often). The small type ate only 6" to 8" in length and I agree that the damage code should be (S/2)P for the metal/edged and (S/2)S for the closed version, no reach or armor pen.

The large size (seen mostly on-stage, or in special circumstances) are about 1 meter in length. If your character is using these fans I would allow 1 reach and +1 or +2 to the base damage. The larger fans would also be unwieldy and might impose a penalty to use as a weapon (I'd suggest -1DP to attack while open). However they would improve your parry as that is really what the combat version was used for, so I would grant a +1 DP for melee parry. You may want to allow the parry bonus to either size fan, or even scaling +1 parry for the small one and +2 for the large.

Fans like many martial arts weapons came from ancient Asia when peasants were not allowed to carry weapons, so they discovered how to use normal/farm tools as weapons and built martial combat styles based on this.

BTW, I love ancient weapons. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-D

+Quote Post
Kesendeja
post Jan 18 2011, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (DMiller @ Jan 18 2011, 02:36 AM) *
BTW, I love ancient weapons. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So do I.

She uses them for the distraction and parry in combat. That and most people won't check them as weapons, especially the set she has with carbon fiber blades. and the fans are about a foot long.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Jan 18 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (DMiller @ Jan 18 2011, 08:36 AM) *
Fans like many martial arts weapons came from ancient Asia when peasants were not allowed to carry weapons, so they discovered how to use normal/farm tools as weapons and built martial combat styles based on this.

In the fan's case it's more a case of high society wanting an unobtrusive defense when obviosu weapons would have been a complete breach of etiquette. The use of fans as signaling devices by army commanders may also have had in influence there - a signaling device that can double as an impromptu weapon soulds like a good idea, even if an army commander could carry regular weapons along with it without raising eyebrows.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 18 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

I feel like people in 2070 would check the fans for weapons. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If they were checking to begin with.

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Jan 18 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Exotic Weapon (Fans) would probably be a must. I like it, sounds really cool.

Beside that obvious bit, I got nothing else except thumbs ups on a fun idea.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 18 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 18 2011, 04:25 PM) *
I feel like people in 2070 would check the fans for weapons. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If they were checking to begin with.

Depends, steampunk is apparently in...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 18 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Like I said: in a situation that someone is checking for weapons, they're *checking*.

"Oh, hey, I'm sure there's no knife or gun in that umbrella, go right ahead." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Kesendeja
post Jan 19 2011, 06:32 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

What my GM suggested

Discrete Fans
6 to 12 inches normally
Damage: (Str/2)
AP: 0
Reach: 0
Conceal: 0

War Fans
1 meter
Damage: (Str/2)+2
AP: 0
Reach: 1
Conceal: -4
+2 parry, and the Distract maneuver

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 19 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

P or S?

The War Fan stats seem just slightly too much. The Reach/Damage is almost the same as a sword, while the +2 parry (*and* Distract?) is a bonus that nothing else (AFAIK) gets: not sai, not tonfa, whatever. It sounds more like a bonus you'd get from a Martial Art that *uses* war fans, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jan 19 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #14

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

Yea, i dont see you really parrying with a warfan, at least not while opened up

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jan 19 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #15

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

Yea, i dont see you really parrying with a warfan, at least not while opened up

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 20 2011, 05:01 AM
Post #16

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 18 2011, 03:57 PM) *
Like I said: in a situation that someone is checking for weapons, they're *checking*.

"Oh, hey, I'm sure there's no knife or gun in that umbrella, go right ahead." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

[semi-derail]

In 1993 I got on an internal flight from Lima, Peru to Chachapoyas, in the northern Andes of Peru. The Sendero Luminoso and Tupac Amaru terrorist organizations were both still active in Peru at the time, though weakened by recent arrests. In the Lima airport, I entered the doorway with the appropriate gate number. Beyond was a large, almost empty room before the exit to the plane. Just past the door was a two-by-four frame in the shape of those metal detector gates. Just the two-by-fours, though. I walked through that to the security guard on the other side, standing behind one of those folding-leg 6 ft. by 3 ft. wooden tables.

I put my duffel bag on the table in front of him. He pointed to the bag and asked me, "Armas?" ("Weapons?") I answered, "No." He waved me on to the plane outside.

[/semi-derail]

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jan 21 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 18,267

While talking about strange weapons - any ideas for the 'warrior beads' as shown in the film Elektra?!? My knowledge of martial arts weapons is limited and I suspect this is pure fantasy but if anyone knows...!?!

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 21 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #18

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 20 2011, 12:01 AM) *
[semi-derail]

In 1993 I got on an internal flight from Lima, Peru to Chachapoyas, in the northern Andes of Peru. The Sendero Luminoso and Tupac Amaru terrorist organizations were both still active in Peru at the time, though weakened by recent arrests. In the Lima airport, I entered the doorway with the appropriate gate number. Beyond was a large, almost empty room before the exit to the plane. Just past the door was a two-by-four frame in the shape of those metal detector gates. Just the two-by-fours, though. I walked through that to the security guard on the other side, standing behind one of those folding-leg 6 ft. by 3 ft. wooden tables.

I put my duffel bag on the table in front of him. He pointed to the bag and asked me, "Armas?" ("Weapons?") I answered, "No." He waved me on to the plane outside.

[/semi-derail]

I visited a Naval museum a little while ago.

They were giving every bag a look-over and giving any umbrella a good yank on the handle to make sure there wasn't a shiv inside or something.

There are extremes anywhere you go.

-k

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.