> Some rules confusion regarding an AI Rigger
obsidian razor
post Jan 19 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,671

Hello everyone!

I've already Neraph's thread about it, but it focuses in an idea different to my own, and I can't find the answers to my questions.

First of all, the general concept is being the groups "mini-tank" and also get-away car. I'd like to go around most of the time on a flying drone, VTOL if possible. For the getaways, my guess is that a comfy van would do the trick, so I'm less worried about that.

My first question is regarding AI characters with the piloting origin at 10 BP. It says that you can use autosofts like they where you're skills when you use a drone... does that mean that I don't actually have to take piloting/ gunnery skills at all and I can just buy the programs and be done with it?

Another one, on the rigging table on the main manual (20th anniversary edition), it mentions a couple of rolls when "jumped into" a drone that are agility+skill, AI's don't have agility so I guess I use my Response trait instead, right?

Do drones using autofire weapons suffer recoil? I can't seem to find an straight answer, but I've missed lot's of things before o_O

The rest is just asking for suggestions in regards to which drone/s to pick and pimp for my concept... from the main manual the Dalmatian seems a good choice... but would it be too large? Anyway, suggest to your hearts content!

And Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FooBot
post Jan 19 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 19,336

I'm not sure you can get specializations with autosofts like you can with skills, so thats one reason to get skills at least.
I was trying to build an AI rigger as well and ran into similar problems when trying to figure out what to roll.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jan 19 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (obsidian razor @ Jan 19 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Another one, on the rigging table on the main manual (20th anniversary edition), it mentions a couple of rolls when "jumped into" a drone that are agility+skill

Huh? Not have my books at hand right now, but I can't remember anything mentioning agility there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Do drones using autofire weapons suffer recoil? I can't seem to find an straight answer, but I've missed lot's of things before o_O

According to the BBB they don't. Arsenal introduces the optional and widely used rule of Recoil Comp = drone's Body, plus whatever RC the isntalled weapon might have.

The rest is just asking for suggestions in regards to which drone/s to pick and pimp for my concept... from the main manual the Dalmatian seems a good choice... but would it be too large? Anyway, suggest to your hearts content!

My standard setup is A FlySpy with an R6 Camera, R6 Microphone, and Radio signal scanner for recon, and a Doberman with White Knight LMG and additional Armor for the fun stuff. Many people seem to prefer that Ford police drone from Arsenal over the Doberman, but I just can't bring myself to imagine this thing flying into closed rooms (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 19 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #4

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Look up the Ford LEBD from Arsenal. It's a great general purpose flying drone, decently small, comes with a gun mount and mechanical arm as standard equipment. I prefer slapping chameleon coating on them so they're less obtrusive. I envision them kinda like the eyebots from the Fallout video games. Having a "cloud" of 3-5 FlySpy drones around you is also great, as they can be sent to scout, and serve as additional members of a TacNet.

You can save on skill BP by buying Autosofts, but remember that Autosofts are limited to Rating 4 and cannot have specializations, aside from the built-in ones (like Targeting MUST be specialized to a particular class of weapons). So they're not really great for "primary" skills but work wonders to fill out secondary skills you wouldn't have put more than four ranks into anyhow.

I think yes you would substitute Response for Agility. Makes sense to me.

By default drones, like all vehicles, do not suffer recoil penalties. There is an optional rule (Arsenal page 105) that instead applies the recoil modifiers to vehicles, but has the vehicle's Body count as Recoil Compensation.

-k

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 19 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #5

Target

Thanks!

I'll check that drone you both mention...

One thing... autosofts have a max rating of 4?, where does it say that?

The price table for software has prices up to rating 6 if I remember correctly, though I don't have the book in front of me...

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jan 19 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 19 2011, 03:49 PM) *
Ford LEBD

That's the one I meant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

IMO the rotor blades are simply too big...but handwaving can always solve that. Oh, another nice one is the Stormcould- your personal eye in the sky, and nobody notices another advertisement blimp.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 19 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (obsidian razor @ Jan 19 2011, 09:55 AM) *
One thing... autosofts have a max rating of 4?, where does it say that?

The price table for software has prices up to rating 6 if I remember correctly, though I don't have the book in front of me...
They are listed as "Autosofts (Rating 1–4)" in the gear tables. They have an entry in the "Ratings 4 to 6" cost column because of the possible Rating 4, not because they can actually go up to Rating 6.

-k

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 19 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Target

I'll check that later, but drat!

There goes my dreams of having decent starting dice pools!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)
(Honestly I'm going the IA way because I love the concept, cost wise a technomancer or a hacker is waaaaaay better)

Still, thanks!

Any more answers? suggestions?

What about the general build? (skills, stats, etc...)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jan 19 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (obsidian razor @ Jan 19 2011, 06:20 AM) *
I've already Neraph's thread about it...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Any more answers? suggestions?

What about the general build? (skills, stats, etc...)

From my archives...
[ Spoiler ]

This one still has 55 BP for skills/contacts and 158,750 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for additional gear.

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 19 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #10

Target

Thanks for the character example!

A few questions though:

Addiction (Moderate, Alcohol) [+10]
Addiction (Moderate, Push) [+10]
Addiction (Moderate, Stimulants) [+10

Aren't those addictions well... silly for an AI? Or is there some way for it to ingest alcohol that I don't know o_O

Also, 55 pts for skills ain't a bit low? Just a skill group at 4 would be 40 of those!

Thanks again! Keep'em coming!

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jan 19 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #11

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

I would throw a heavy book at a player if i was the gm and they brought me those... then again, im not entirely sure i'd let in an AI anything, as a character, so.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Jan 19 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (obsidian razor @ Jan 19 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Also, 55 pts for skills ain't a bit low? Just a skill group at 4 would be 40 of those.

Grab cracking group 4, electronics 1, and tell the group to do its own datasearching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
Autosofts for all the physical stuff.
Only way I see an AI satisfying those addictions is by rigging a biodrone, probably with simsense unit.

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 19 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #13

Target

That's an idea...

Another question that pops up...

Why having the main stats so high?

Sure, you have a massive rating, but what's the rating per se good for in a rigged drone?

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 20 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #14

Target

Also, which matrix skills are absolutely "vital" for a rigger? First time dealing with matrix also on my side of things... (I usually play Street Samurais or Adepts).

+Quote Post
obsidian razor
post Jan 21 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #15

Target

Sorry if I'm bumping this prematurely.

Can somebody answer my previous questions?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jan 21 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

my AI has an addiction(knowsofts). he wants and needs to know everything about metahumanity for his conquer-the-world plans.

a rigger should have Electronic warfare. hacking and data search a hacker connection can do, and for cybercombat, just log off.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 21 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

That is a terrible addiction. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) My PC has addictions to shadowrunning, getting money, and karma. ;P

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.