> first gen tacnet basis layed?, starcraft AI
hobgoblin
post Jan 21 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01...competition.ars

the more i read this the more i envisioned some kind of military assist system. Especially when they mentioned building a threat map and using that to route various units around.

But the attract/repel system for handling threat evaluation is also interesting, especially when they added a self-adjusting component (run 300+ rounds of the same enemy inside a corral and by the end if it the threat level of a type of enemy has been adjusted accordingly).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 21 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

How can this go to a Starcraft bot?

Has anyone played against a Supreme Commander 2 Ai? Those things are ridiculous, and they keep getting better.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 21 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 21 2011, 11:12 AM) *
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01...competition.ars

the more i read this the more i envisioned some kind of military assist system. Especially when they mentioned building a threat map and using that to route various units around.

But the attract/repel system for handling threat evaluation is also interesting, especially when they added a self-adjusting component (run 300+ rounds of the same enemy inside a corral and by the end if it the threat level of a type of enemy has been adjusted accordingly).

Hard problems that this doesn't solve: threat evaluation when you don't have stat tables for all combatants, computer vision, unreliable units (weapons can jam, soldiers can get distracted, etc.), or for that matter even in-game pathfinding (their technique is vulnerable to local maxima, but it just so happens that because flying units don't need to route around anything they're immune to the issue).

It's an awesome achievement, but looking at this as a "first gen tacnet basis" is like, I don't know, looking at hip replacements and pacemakers as "first gen cyberware basis"; in some sense it's correct, but not in any useful way.

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 21 2011, 12:02 PM) *
How can this go to a Starcraft bot?

What? How can it not, given that it's a Starcraft AI competition?

~J

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 21 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I found the article interesting for other reasons.

+Quote Post
Garou
post Jan 21 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,955

Hm... know we know how Mirage will be born. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jan 21 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 21 2011, 02:53 PM) *
Hard problems that this doesn't solve: threat evaluation when you don't have stat tables for all combatants, computer vision, unreliable units (weapons can jam, soldiers can get distracted, etc.), or for that matter even in-game pathfinding (their technique is vulnerable to local maxima, but it just so happens that because flying units don't need to route around anything they're immune to the issue).

Even if you don't have stat tables, you can infer some information given the past results. Basically, you will be adding some sort of fuzzy values to a table and work from it.
Pathfinding is always a problem, but as I understood, they didn't delve too much in pathfinding because they had little time to improve the built-in pathfinding system.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 21 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 21 2011, 04:01 PM) *
but as I understood, they didn't delve too much in pathfinding because they had little time to improve the built-in pathfinding system.

Actually you'll find the opposite. The built in pathfinder is so terrible they never used it.

QUOTE (Page 3)
Our solution to the problem of overlord control and scouting had an uninspired beginning. StarCraft’s built-in path planning for ground units is terrible, an irritant that has hindered players for over a decade. As development progressed, Dan decided that we weren’t going to put up with the indignity of watching units getting stuck on walls and chasing their own tails, so we implemented our own path planning.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jan 21 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

That's what I meant, they didn't have enough time to improve the pathfinding the game had (because it was a pile of crap and no one wanted to touch it).

I just didn't add the part inside parenthesis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 21 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 21 2011, 04:01 PM) *
Even if you don't have stat tables, you can infer some information given the past results. Basically, you will be adding some sort of fuzzy values to a table and work from it.

But that kind of learning is an entirely different problem which isn't even attempted (and didn't need to be) by this bot.

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 21 2011, 04:21 PM) *
That's what I meant, they didn't have enough time to improve the pathfinding the game had (because it was a pile of crap and no one wanted to touch it).

I just didn't add the part inside parenthesis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What? They can't improve the game's pathfinding—they don't have the source code, they interface with the game through a hook someone was able to make using DLL injection. They wrote their own pathfinding, by which I mean that when the bot decides "this unit over here should go over there" it doesn't issue a direction to the game for the unit to do that (and thus let the in-game pathfinding figure out how to accomplish that), it issues a direction to the game for the unit to move a small distance along a route it makes itself and keeps doing that until the destination is reached.

~J

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 21 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 21 2011, 04:21 PM) *
That's what I meant, they didn't have enough time to improve the pathfinding the game had.

Nonsense on two levels. One Kagetenshi pointed out. Two: if you don't have time to improve a pathfinder you don't have time to write one.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 21 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 21 2011, 06:53 PM) *

All issues that would be worked on would it really be used as a tacnet system.

Threat evaluation can be done on the fly based on reported observations, lidar (better then some kind of camera system at this time, imo), maybe one can even fingerprint weapons based on noises made. Sure, one can not have stat tables for combatants, but their weapons can be statted (tho concealed explosives could be a issue).

The first gen or two may be more strategic then tactical, as they could (or perhaps even already exist) help evaluate a rapidly shifting combat environment with data feed in from spotter drones, sats and various other sensor systems.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 21 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 21 2011, 05:01 PM) *
All issues that would be worked on would it really be used as a tacnet system.

Threat evaluation can be done on the fly based on reported observations, lidar (better then some kind of camera system at this time, imo), maybe one can even fingerprint weapons based on noises made. Sure, one can not have stat tables for combatants, but their weapons can be statted (tho concealed explosives could be a issue).

The first gen or two may be more strategic then tactical, as they could (or perhaps even already exist) help evaluate a rapidly shifting combat environment with data feed in from spotter drones, sats and various other sensor systems.

But my point is that while this is legitimate research, what they've done is still much easier than all of those problems "that would be worked on". To give another shot at the illustrative analogy approach, it's like pointing to a successful rubber tire and declaring it a "first-gen car basis"—it's a step forward, but such a tiny step compared to the overall set of problems that it's really not a reasonable description.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.