IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Review my Vehicle and Drone package, I'm new at this...
J. Packer
post Jan 21 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,186

First time I've tinkered with the rules in Arsenal on modifications and the like. Just want to make sure I've got this remotely correct

CODE
D-C Horseman PMV with Drone Module (16,000)
+ Armor 20 (4,000 plus 1 slot)
+ Flexible, External, Remote Control Standard Weapon Mount (4,000 plus 2 slots)
+ + Ares MP-LMG (1,500)
+ + + Smartgun System, Safe Target System, Sound Suppressor (2,300)
+ + + 250 EX-explosive rounds of ammo in belt (2,500)
+ Second Small Landing Drone Rack (5,000 plus 3 slots)
+ + 2 Ford LEBD-1 Medium Drones (9,000)
+ + + 2 Ingram White Knight LMGs (1/drone) (4000)
+ + + 250 standard rounds of ammo each in belts (1000)

Total cost: 49,300

And more to the point, if this works, why on earth would I ever leave the confines of my personal mobility vehicle?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Jan 21 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,409

I think you're running into Availability problems with your weapon mount, but otherwise it looks good.

I believe the flavor text talks about people who live their whole lives either at home or in their vehicles. So it's definitely a choice many have made. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Jan 21 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Running Target

QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Jan 21 2011, 01:59 PM) *
I think you're running into Availability problems with your weapon mount, but otherwise it looks good.

I believe the flavor text talks about people who live their whole lives either at home or in their vehicles. So it's definitely a choice many have made. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Unless there's been errata I don't know about (possible!) it's 8F for the normal mount, and +2F each for flexible and remote control, so I think I'm alright there.

Who needs battle armor, with this setup?

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 21 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 12,442

I would be tempted to put an ares alpha on one, giving you two weapon systems for the price of one. The underbarrel grenade launcher gives you a clip of 6 micro grenades, which would be pretty useful. Some HE grenades are always useful.

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Jan 21 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 21 2011, 02:50 PM) *
I would be tempted to put an ares alpha on one, giving you two weapon systems for the price of one. The underbarrel grenade launcher gives you a clip of 6 micro grenades, which would be pretty useful. Some HE grenades are always useful.

I was considering putting the LMG on one drone and a full-on GL on the other, but couldn't find a definitive ruling on what fit into a standard mount versus a reinforced mount.

The Alpha might just be the compromise I'm after.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 21 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 21 2011, 04:04 PM) *
I was considering putting the LMG on one drone and a full-on GL on the other, but couldn't find a definitive ruling on what fit into a standard mount versus a reinforced mount.

Yeah, its not bad. You could toss in a AK-98 or whatever, any of the pre-equipped underbarrel varieties of ARs. Probably whatever's cheapest, since integral recoil comp doesn't matter too much on a drone.

+Quote Post
Bushw4cker
post Jan 21 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,830

I recommend using SR4 character generator. It does availability, cost, and everything else you need.

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Jan 22 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 21 2011, 04:24 PM) *
Unless there's been errata I don't know about (possible!) it's 8F for the normal mount, and +2F each for flexible and remote control, so I think I'm alright there.

Who needs battle armor, with this setup?

Nope, no errata, just me being away from the books, and remembering having problems getting a decent mount under 12 Availability. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The biggest issue then will be having a big gun protruding from the vehicle, and going anyplace in public.

Vehicles are limited to a maximum armor rating of Body x2 (so 8 for a PMV), up to a hard cap of 20.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 22 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #9

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 21 2011, 05:04 PM) *

How about two LMGs, modified with underbarrel grenade launchers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Jan 22 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 21 2011, 09:06 PM) *
How about two LMGs, modified with underbarrel grenade launchers.

It could only be better if you could modify some HMGs with underbarrel grenade launcher.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 22 2011, 07:05 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Nobody else caught the Armor 20 on a Body 4(okay,6) vehicle?

Sorry. 12 is the highest you're going to get. At that rating, you might want to get concealed armor instead - it may stop you from getting arrested with it.

While this is a cool idea, and I suggest you pitch it to your GM, you actually can't put a second small drone rack on your horseman. Another Mini is the biggest that will fit.

You really need to read the descriptions of the mods you put in; ofthen they will have some additional restrictions.

If you're considering using a handgun, such as the alpha, instead of a weapon mount, then you may want to use a Mechanical Arm instead of a weapon mount. Its not a bad choice at all.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Jan 22 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,015

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 22 2011, 05:53 AM) *
First time I've tinkered with the rules in Arsenal on modifications and the like. Just want to make sure I've got this remotely correct
CODE
D-C Horseman PMV with Drone Module (16,000)
+ Armor 20 (4,000 plus 1 slot)
And more to the point, if this works, why on earth would I ever leave the confines of my personal mobility vehicle?
If your character is acquiring / building this vehicle during play, then no worries. You cannot start with rating 20 armour at chargen, however.
QUOTE (SR4a p86)
Finally, no piece of gear purchased at character creation can have a rating higher than 6 or an Availability higher than 12
Also remember that there is an erratum that decreases a vehicle's speed when its armour has been significantly improved.

If you are going to live permanently in this vehicle, you could install a Gun Port (for passing biological necessities in and out) and you could use the cargo module which comes with two Mechanical Arms so that you could still handle things outside your cabin.

+Quote Post
J. Packer
post Jan 22 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Bodak @ Jan 22 2011, 12:18 AM) *
If your character is acquiring / building this vehicle during play, then no worries. You cannot start with rating 20 armour at chargen, however.
Also remember that there is an erratum that decreases a vehicle's speed when its armour has been significantly improved.

If you are going to live permanently in this vehicle, you could install a Gun Port (for passing biological necessities in and out) and you could use the cargo module which comes with two Mechanical Arms so that you could still handle things outside your cabin.

I consistently forget the rule about Rating 6 being the maximum at chargen, I'm so focused on availability.

Thanks for the mention on the errata about speed. I'd not seen that. I'll pop over to the site and see if I can't find all the appropriate errata I've not been playing with.

I'm not really interested in a character who never leaves his bubble, but during a run, it seemed like a no brainer. Now that the armor is maxed out at 12, it's less useful, and not available at chargen, so I see why, in addition to cost, it doesn't tend to happen.

Anybody give me a page ref on why I can't add a second small landing drone rack? I'll go searching, but wouldn't mind the pointer.
Nevermind - it's a body minimum of 10 that I missed on the first pass.

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Jan 23 2011, 04:55 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

I'm not so sure that the restriction on device ratings at char gen applies to armor ratings. I mean, you can start the game with an Armor Jacket, no? And many of the vehicles available at char gen have armor > 6 as a default (Evo Falcon, Rover 2068, etc.).

I believe the rating restriction applies to devices with ratings, like jammers, commlinks, sensors, etc.

Still, you cannot have armor on a vehicle > body x2. So you still can't have 20 armor on a body 4 vehicle.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 23 2011, 05:26 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Well, it's not a restriction on device ratings >6, but *gear with a rating*; the armor *mod* seems to qualify.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 23 2011, 05:30 AM
Post #16

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I've never liked that drones somehow get armor x3.

Really "drone" and "vehicle" shouldn't have been made separate distinct classes - The only thing that separates the two, really, is passenger space. Which could have been made an equipment mod, with current vehicles possessing one or more seats listed as standard equipment, and drones not having any standard.

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 23 2011, 05:43 AM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

In SR3, IIRC, you *could* trade cargo/passenger space for armor space. *shrug*. It's just a question of 'how much rules is enough?', I guess.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 23 2011, 05:54 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 22 2011, 10:30 PM) *
I've never liked that drones somehow get armor x3.

Its because drones are -supposed- to be small, tiny,tough combat machines. Except they cap out at body 4.
Its hard to make a minitank when its as tough as a thick coat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.